Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Online College Rankings
(05-22-2021, 08:20 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(05-22-2021, 07:58 AM)Vle045 Wrote: He claims he doesn’t want to go to college.  I’m hoping if it is easy enough to get alternative credits now, he can at the very least get an associates degree or a business degree using the methods here.  The kid has no clue how much a degree will help him down the road.  Even if it’s just to check a box.

Does he know what he wants to do as a career? If he's in his mid-teens or older, it might help to have him look on Monster or Jobing for his "dream job" and then see what the requirements are. There are soooooooo many automated systems these days that will reject your application if you don't at least have some degree. Unless he wants to only be eligible to work retail or fast food (and there is nothing wrong with those jobs, but most people would prefer not to do them for 40+ years), he's definitely going to need a degree of some kind.

He's also probably being bombarded with what I would consider to be propaganda about the "correct" way to get a degree: you have to go to Harvard or MIT or some other big name or else it "doesn't count" somehow. School, media, and just life in general are all full of this nonsense. If I thought those were my only choices, I wouldn't want a degree either. Too much pressure.

He is 14 and just finishing 8th grade, so he has no clue.  He just thinks he will magically become a pro gamer. In Ohio, kids can start earning college credits in 7th grade but he’s not interested yet.  He used to love school.  Now his head is so into games and youtube, he thinks school is stupid.  I am still hoping he gets his head out of the sand and finds more interests in high school.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
Ouch. I swear, "gaming" is the new art school. Like, yeah, I get that this is what you want to do and, sure, you feel passionate about it but how are you going to make money?

Ironically, someone who went to art school has a better chance of making good money than someone who wants to be a "pro gamer". Artists have marketing campaigns, video games, and so on. Gamers have YouTube, Twitch, and maybe some tournaments. I feel so bad for parents who have to deal with trying to convince their kids that they need a different career to fall back on.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I know someone with a art degree who’s has a very nice career As a technical writer. Many options with most degrees.
(05-22-2021, 11:13 AM)Pats20 Wrote: I know someone with a art degree who’s has a very nice career As a technical writer. Many options with most degrees.

Heck, if he got himself a degree in gaming, at least it’s something.  Sometimes he says he will just drop out when he’s old enough so he can focus on games.  I think he says it to get a rise out of me.  Who knows.  I can’t figure out how something that makes him yell and scream can even be enjoyable.  Seems more stressful than school.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vle045's post:
  • rachel83az
Gaming software designer might be a great career for him. If he likes figuring things out.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pats20's post:
  • ss20ts
I think that this is the first time Edinburgh has outdone Princeton in any of the important college rankings
Edinburgh University outranks Princeton in latest global league table | HeraldScotland
I think it's also true that Edinburgh has a lot more online offerings than Princeton too
Postgraduate online learning | The University of Edinburgh
US Universities slip in the rankings.  Does it indicate something important?  Probably not.  
https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaeltnie...9da1255890

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 255 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Biochemistry online, no lab, and less than $500. GoodYellowDogs 11 10,141 03-20-2024, 04:16 PM
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 204 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,448 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 596 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,603 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 347 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,089 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,348 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,721 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM