Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Online MSc Computer Science Merrimack College
(03-15-2022, 02:24 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: It's going to be different for everyone

That's why I'm posting my contrasting perspective
I'm skeptical because without either lots of existing domain knowledge/work experience, I don't believe it is possible to complete a master's level CS degree, especially in such a short time frame. I suspect students will have problems completing the program...after having spent a lot of money.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(03-15-2022, 12:40 PM)davewill Wrote: I'm skeptical because without either lots of existing domain knowledge/work experience, I don't believe it is possible to complete a master's level CS degree, especially in such a short time frame. I suspect students will have problems completing the program...after having spent a lot of money.
The UPenn MCIT is designed for non-CS graduates to complete a masters in CS. I think it structured correctly, it is feasible.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
(03-15-2022, 04:01 PM)ThatBankDude Wrote:
(03-15-2022, 12:40 PM)davewill Wrote: I'm skeptical because without either lots of existing domain knowledge/work experience, I don't believe it is possible to complete a master's level CS degree, especially in such a short time frame. I suspect students will have problems completing the program...after having spent a lot of money.
The UPenn MCIT is designed for non-CS graduates to complete a masters in CS. I think it structured correctly, it is feasible.

Right but the UPenn MCIT isn't a master's in CS. It's a master's in CIT so it doesn't apply to davewill's comment. The first 6 courses are like a condensed/abbreviated CS undergrad and the last 4 classes are Masters level CS electives.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)

Feasible? Sure, given a smart motivated student almost anything is feasible. However, is it workable for most students? I have doubts.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Holmes
(03-15-2022, 08:52 PM)MNomadic Wrote:

Right but the UPenn MCIT isn't a master's in CS. It's a master's in CIT so it doesn't apply to davewill's comment. The first 6 courses are like a condensed/abbreviated CS undergrad and the last 4 classes are Masters level CS electives.
I have not done a ton of research but I have a buddy in the program. While it may be a condensed/abbreviated CS undergrad, one cannot argue with the outcomes. A large group of the students go on to become software developers or software engineers with Google, Microsoft, Apple, Amazon etc. A simple LinkedIn search shows the effectiveness of the degree program in assisting students achieve highly technical roles. Whether it is a true masters in CS or not, it seems to be more effective at helping students land CS type positions versus your normal run of the mill CS masters.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
(03-16-2022, 06:27 AM)ThatBankDude Wrote: I have not done a ton of research but I have a buddy in the program. While it may be a condensed/abbreviated CS undergrad, one cannot argue with the outcomes. A large group of the students go on to become software developers or software engineers with Google, Microsoft, Apple, Amazon etc. A simple LinkedIn search shows the effectiveness of the degree program in assisting students achieve highly technical roles. Whether it is a true masters in CS or not, it seems to be more effective at helping students land CS type positions versus your normal run of the mill CS masters.
I agree. I never contested the value, outcomes, or effectiveness of the MCIT. In fact, I think it's a great program. I just pointed out that using the MCIT as an example in a discussion about MSCS's isn't fully valid.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
I don’t know personally but the Merrimack program says it’s designed for non cs majors. I know that leads to thinking that it’s watered down and it may very well be. Assuming a person takes the initiative to self learn the missing parts it may be a viable option.
My recommendation is another program other than this Merrimack College offering, get more info and see if you can complete the South East Missouri Masters in Applied Computer Science for under $11.5K USD, you just need 2 provisioning Computer courses for entry if you don't have a BCS degree. I would also be open to other similar degree options as well, you can check these out... Do TESU/SEMO in two years combined and you'll have all the degree/experience to "catch up/be on par" with requirements in that industry.

Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...t-Virginia
Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ee-Options
Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ual-Degree
Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ta-Science
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
You could give GA Tech's OMSCS a shot. https://omscs.gatech.edu/program-info/ad...n-criteria https://omscs.gatech.edu/preparing-yourself-omscs

Complete some of their certificates on Edx.org (linked on that page), and then apply? Current tuition is $180/credit (30 credits = $5,400), plus $301/semester.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  American College of Education - Master's ashkir 6 306 Yesterday, 01:39 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Online Graduate Statistics course Stonybeach 13 323 04-25-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 32 18,970 04-25-2024, 10:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Gardner-Webb University: 10-12 month online MBA? PaperAssistant 7 341 04-18-2024, 10:33 PM
  Ms data science for 15k Imbanewbie 15 1,707 04-16-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: dutchdragon
  SMC name change to Signum Magnum College - Free MBA?! bjcheung77 6 714 04-03-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: cacoleman1983
  New Zealand Online Degrees doyouhowdo1 1 375 03-31-2024, 10:46 AM
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 655 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Phd in environmental science myopenledger 2 256 03-27-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Czech 100% online MBA and DBA for 3k/5k David1477 7 563 03-25-2024, 08:34 PM