Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Options for 16 Credits to Rid of Residency Waiver Fee
Hi All, how's everyone doing?  I've been getting a few people asking me what options are possible to take 16 to 18 credits and skip the residency waiver.  There are so many options, you can take your pick, mix and match with courses you want, do upper level or lower level courses to your liking... It's all up to you! Having said that, here are a few options I would suggest, depending on your end goal and personal scenario, you should do something that's geared to you and benefit your learning in the end.  Essentially, you can ask for an extension to your course if you've completed at least 50% of the course, each extension is 8 weeks.

1) A few have asked me to see if they can get an Associates Capstone and/or do a BALS & BSBA combo, this is what you need.
For those who want to do the bare minimum, 16 credits are as follows.  I highly recommend splitting this into lower level and upper level.
If you want to take your time and you've been out of college for a number of years and trying to get back into the groove, do 4 terms.
It'll be more money, but you get to do it on your own terms, easier on the brain and let's you complete in 4 terms (1 year).

Term 1) SOS-110 Cornerstone + ENG-298 Jane Austen Pride and Prejudice = 4 credits
Term 2) SOS-204 Academic Community Impact + APS-295 Associates Capstone = 6 credits
Term 3) BALS LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone ACI option = 3 credits
Term 4) BSBA BUS-421 Business Administration Capstone = 3 credits

For those who have the energy/time but less cash to pay for the courses, you can do two terms by grouping them from lower level to upper level
Term 1:  SOS-110 Cornerstone, SOS-204 ACI, APS-295 Associates Capstone, ENG-298 Jane Austen Pride and Prejudice  = 10 credits
Term 2:  BALS LIB-495 Liberal Arts ACI Capstone and also take the BSBA BUS-421 Business Administration Capstone = 6 credits

2) Some have specific courses that they want to complete, such as a couple of required easy UL for the BALS requirement, an example is someone may want to take the BIO-310 Man's Best Friend: Biology & Behavior of Dogs and the ENG-393 One Writer's Vision to hit the UL requirements and also skip the residency waiver
Term 1) SOS-110 Cornerstone + SOS-204 Academic Community Impact = 6 credits
Term 2) BIO-310 Man's Best Friend: Biology & Behavior of Dogs + ENG-393 One Writer's Vision = 6 credits

And if you want to cram, it's going to be harder as two of these are Upper Level, but they are the "easiest UL" options at TESU, if you really need the extra time on any one of these or both, you can extend the course for another 8 weeks.  I would not cram everything into 1 term, but two is very do-able as so...
Term 1) SOS-110 Cornerstone + SOS-204 ACI plus take BIO-310 Biology + ENG-393 Jane Austen for 12 credits
Term 2) BALS LIB-495 Liberal Arts ACI Capstone and also take the BSBA BUS-421 Business Administration Capstone = 6 credits

They key here is if you want to do 1 term under the cheap flat rate tuition, I would do 10-12 credits and not go overboard like 15-18 credits as there will be so much to go through.  I want to save my neurons for future use later... so my suggestion is two terms with Lower Level and Upper Level split, somewhat evenly.  I chose courses from this thread for TESU courses: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-Excelsior

Last but not least, again for those who are coming back to "college" after a long time away, don't be afraid of taking more than 1 course.  I have a few people ask about taking another course with the SOS-110 Critical Info Lit course but is afraid it would be overkill.  Don't think that way, this course is a very easy Introductory Course to College (yes, a College Readiness course).  If you need to take something easy, take the Jane Austen 1 credit course above along with it... that is also a very easy doable course.    I have recommended many to do just the SOS-110 and the CAPSTONE together, if they just want to pay the residency waiver, they can take 20/80 of their time on each course and be done within the 1 term so they can focus on Graduate/Masters studies...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • park0902, person8612
(11-28-2020, 05:36 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hi All, how's everyone doing?  I've been getting a few people asking me what options are possible to take 16 to 18 credits and skip the residency waiver.  There are so many options, you can take your pick, mix and match with courses you want, do upper level or lower level courses to your liking... It's all up to you! Having said that, here are a few options I would suggest, depending on your end goal and personal scenario, you should do something that's geared to you and benefit your learning in the end.  Essentially, you can ask for an extension to your course if you've completed at least 50% of the course, each extension is 8 weeks.

1) A few have asked me to see if they can get an Associates Capstone and/or do a BALS & BSBA combo, this is what you need.
For those who want to do the bare minimum, 16 credits are as follows.  I highly recommend splitting this into lower level and upper level.
If you want to take your time and you've been out of college for a number of years and trying to get back into the groove, do 4 terms.
It'll be more money, but you get to do it on your own terms, easier on the brain and let's you complete in 4 terms (1 year).

Term 1) SOS-110 Cornerstone + ENG-298 Jane Austen Pride and Prejudice = 4 credits
Term 2) SOS-204 Academic Community Impact + APS-295 Associates Capstone = 6 credits

For those who have the energy/time but less cash to pay for the courses, you can do two terms by grouping them from lower level to upper level
Term 1:  SOS-110 Cornerstone, SOS-204 ACI, APS-295 Associates Capstone, ENG-298 Jane Austen Pride and Prejudice  = 10 credits
Term 2:  BALS LIB-495 Liberal Arts ACI Capstone and also take the BSBA BUS-421 Business Administration Capstone = 6 credits

2) Some have specific courses that they want to complete, such as a couple of required easy UL for the BALS requirement, an example is someone may want to take the BIO-310 Man's Best Friend: Biology & Behavior of Dogs and the ENG-393 One Writer's Vision to hit the UL requirements and also skip the residency waiver
Term 2) BIO-310 Man's Best Friend: Biology & Behavior of Dogs + ENG-393 One Writer's Vision = 6 credits

And if you want to cram, it's going to be harder as two of these are Upper Level, but they are the "easiest UL" options at TESU, if you really need the extra time on any one of these or both, you can extend the course for another 8 weeks.  I would not cram everything into 1 term, but two is very do-able as so...
Term 1) SOS-110 Cornerstone + SOS-204 ACI plus take BIO-310 Biology + ENG-393 Jane Austen for 12 credits
Term 2) BALS LIB-495 Liberal Arts ACI Capstone and also take the BSBA BUS-421 Business Administration Capstone = 6 credits

They key here is if you want to do 1 term under the cheap flat rate tuition, I would do 10-12 credits and not go overboard like 15-18 credits as there will be so much to go through.  I want to save my neurons for future use later... so my suggestion is two terms with Lower Level and Upper Level split, somewhat evenly.  I chose courses from this thread for TESU courses: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-Excelsior

Last but not least, again for those who are coming back to "college" after a long time away, don't be afraid of taking more than 1 course.  I have a few people ask about taking another course with the SOS-110 Critical Info Lit course but is afraid it would be overkill.  Don't think that way, this course is a very easy Introductory Course to College (yes, a College Readiness course).  If you need to take something easy, take the Jane Austen 1 credit course above along with it... that is also a very easy doable course.    I have recommended many to do just the SOS-110 and the CAPSTONE together, if they just want to pay the residency waiver, they can take 20/80 of their time on each course and be done within the 1 term so they can focus on Graduate/Masters studies...
Thanks.

It is a very helpful thread.

Is there one that lists all the UL courses only for each platform for each college?

SDC would be too many to list.
I mean all other platforms that have only a handful so we know how they transfer to avoid duplicates.
(11-28-2020, 05:36 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hi All, how's everyone doing?  I've been getting a few people asking me what options are possible to take 16 to 18 credits and skip the residency waiver.  There are so many options, you can take your pick, mix and match with courses you want, do upper level or lower level courses to your liking... It's all up to you! Having said that, here are a few options I would suggest, depending on your end goal and personal scenario, you should do something that's geared to you and benefit your learning in the end.  Essentially, you can ask for an extension to your course if you've completed at least 50% of the course, each extension is 8 weeks.

Great to hear about the waiver, having an extra 8 weeks is a lot. Have people had success without paying extra outside of x1 flat tution?
Is it possible to actually do 16 credits (x3 three credit class + x1 info literacy + x1 capstone + 1 credit course), would probably have to pre-learn everything before hand, but would the admin team allow it?
Completed TESU BA in CS & Math
Target grad school: OMSCS, or UoTA MOCSO. (Contemplating research)

(06-27-2021, 09:30 PM)StudentOLife Wrote: Great to hear about the waiver, having an extra 8 weeks is a lot. Have people had success without paying extra outside of x1 flat tution?
Is it possible to actually do 16 credits (x3 three credit class + x1 info literacy + x1 capstone + 1 credit course), would probably have to pre-learn everything before hand, but would the admin team allow it?

TESU allows it, yes. I think a couple of people here have done it.

Some classes are structured so that you don't have to get a good grade on any paper(s) to pass. I would choose as many of these "can't fail" classes as possible.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(06-28-2021, 12:11 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(06-27-2021, 09:30 PM)StudentOLife Wrote: Great to hear about the waiver, having an extra 8 weeks is a lot. Have people had success without paying extra outside of x1 flat tution?

TESU allows it, yes. I think a couple of people here have done it.

Some classes are structured so that you don't have to get a good grade on any paper(s) to pass. I would choose as many of these "can't fail" classes as possible.

Thanks @rachel83az! 
1. I see, so you'd write in to request for an extra 8 weeks when it's ending or just straight up at the beginning?

2. Also do we need to request special permissions to take over 15 credits or will we just keep registering for classes and the bill will be automatically flat fee?

3. What are some of the "can't fail classes", I've got x3 UL Math AOS classes that I got to take along with x1 capstone and x1 info literacy.

1. You need to be near the end of the class and more than halfway done. See class extension policy here: https://iq3prod1.smartcatalogiq.com/Cata...Extensions

2. No permission needed. If, for some reason, the flat fee doesn't kick in, then you'd need to contact TESU for help.

3. Check the syllabus. Probably doesn't apply to most UL classes, though. For instance, History of Mathematics requires 8 written assignments (exercises from the textbook) + midterm paper & final paper. That's a lot of work/grade riding on papers. On the other hand, Discrete Math has 6 written assignments (exercises from the textbook) + two exams. If you get an F on a single assignment but do well otherwise then you'll still pass. If you got 100% on the discussion forums & written assignments, you could get 50% each on the midterm & final and still get a 75% - solid C. Not great for your GPA but it's still a pass.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(06-28-2021, 04:27 AM)StudentOLife Wrote: 2. Also do we need to request special permissions to take over 15 credits or will we just keep registering for classes and the bill will be automatically flat fee?

well, uhm.... Depends how many "over 15" you go. If it is over 16 credits: "Being registered for more than 16 concurrent credits at a time requires permission from an academic advisor."  and since extensions and other variations were mentioned "Overlapping more than 16 credits is not permitted including when a course is (or courses are) extended."

and this may have been mentioned in the thread already, but I lost track of it all : can't register for capstone until you have around 100 credits on tesu transcript. so get all of that in place before trying to do the 16 credit term if capstone if part of that. might run into issues and need to resolve otherwise.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

I think you have to have 100+ credits AND have most/all of your AoS completed in order to enroll in the capstone.  So with needing 3 UL courses in the AoS, they may not allow you to enroll in the capstone.  I would double-check this policy before making this plan.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
The course extension fee is $236.

Thanks so much @rachel83az !

@dfrecore,& @P226mem Yea I should be the final leg of the degree with the last 18 credits by the time I get there, so I'd have 100++ and most of AOS completed.

I see, thanks @Ideas, do they give course extension to anyone who pays the fee?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 456 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  Age waiver question - 18 year old jg_nuy 27 2,228 04-03-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Debate/speech competition transfer credits? Fave advisors? PLEX 4 209 03-20-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 334 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Organizational Leadership Cert SDC transfer credits Kones 5 499 02-10-2024, 03:48 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  What constitutes "new" credits for 2nd degree? homeschoolmom1 8 527 01-15-2024, 10:50 PM
  Residency waiver beyond graduation gams007 15 1,440 01-15-2024, 03:48 AM
  Emailing TESU about planning external credits into academic evaluation aperantosbias 9 639 12-29-2023, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
  TESU BS Physics+Chemistry waiver jch 23 1,621 11-29-2023, 10:30 PM
  Less Than 15 Credits Left for TESU Flat Rate Term mariobros1985 7 826 11-22-2023, 09:38 PM