Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PLA Costs Question
(09-01-2021, 07:08 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Yes, even $32/credit is overpriced when you can find the course elsewhere.

With Study.com, you can get a maximum of 15 credits in a month for $410. That's $27.33/credit. If you do 6 credits in a month, that's $33.33/credit. Only slightly more than PLAs and usually faster/easier.

Sophia is even cheaper. Even if you only get 4 classes (and it's usually possible to get much more), that's $79 for 12 credits or $6.58/credit. If you manage to do 6 classes, it's $4.39/credit.

For business classes, Davar is about $65 per class (if you include proctoring fees). That's $21/credit. For non-business classes, Davar is about $29/credit.

Coopersmith is $50 per credit, but they're just a single test and then you're done; so you're spending a little more money to save a lot of time.

Saylor is technically $8.33 per credit (though we don't generally recommend them) and OnlineDegree is $3 per credit (but they're only available to Americans).

CLEP exams can be $0 per credit through ModernStates, but they can take a while to study for. This is why we usually recommend Sophia instead of CLEPs. Sophia is faster and, once you factor in things like potentially having to take time off of work to take a CLEP exam, Sophia is actually cheaper because you don't have to schedule exams for Sophia.

For RA credit, you can get that for $50 per credit at Olivet Nazarene University or you can pay $66 at TEL Learning. TECEPs are $50/credit for LL or $75 for UL. We don't really recommend the UL TECEPs unless you know the material well, but that's a pretty good price for UL credits. TECEPs are also just one exam and then you're done.

Thank you for going above and beyond and including RA credit sources, which PLA's directly competed with in my mind.

I guess that brings me back to doing 3 ePacks to get 16 TESU residency credits and the final RA requirements that I need, which I'm happy with.

I've been thinking about starting with either the cornerstone, 3 ePacks, and the PLA course before all alt credits, and then the Capstone by itself at the end, or the PLA course taken along with the Capstone at the end. Either option is cheaper than the Residency Waiver Fee and two courses with RA credits elsewhere, I believe. I just don't trust myself to take 16 credits all together no matter how much I might study ahead of time, since it's been a while for me. I did get a 4.0 in HS, but I always did homework and didn't have much else and I think that was bad for me so I'm hoping to take smaller, simple steps with this approach.
Current: UMPI YourPace competency-based BABA, Management & Leadership Concentration, Project Management and Management of Information Systems Minors. Starting with 15 RA credits previously earned in community college. Took the CSM Learn course. Now going through Sophia courses.
Goal: Walden TEMPO competency-based MBA.
Timeline: Started planning mid 2021. Finish both, Jan 2023. A year and a half total, including planning. Started planning on TESU, but was advised towards UMPI to take advantage of financial aid. I'm now excited to finish completely competency-based.
Fun fact: I sometimes use TV as a productivity toolOne episode per chapter, load of dishes, or basket of laundry!
Thanks to everyone, and happy studying!  Smile
It's alright, not everyone does the same thing exactly the way another student would. Taking the Capstone by itself is a great option, you can take flat tuition fee for credits through one term using the cornerstone, 3 e-packs and the PLA 100 or Jane Austin course. Just don't pressure yourself too much... you'll get there soon enough and get past that last course hurdle...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • schristian10
Is there a cross over for the onlinedegree and Sophia websites that shows what courses are accepted at TESU? I have an AA from a local school that TESU has accepted all the credits from (64 credits) but want to fill in the remaining courses from online sources before paying for the required TESU courses (I assume they require 16 credits from TESU).
(12-08-2021, 01:25 PM)uncoolbilly Wrote: Is there a cross over for the onlinedegree and Sophia websites that shows what courses are accepted at TESU? I have an AA from a local school that TESU has accepted all the credits from (64 credits) but want to fill in the remaining courses from online sources before paying for the required TESU courses (I assume they require 16 credits from TESU).

First, make a new thread and ask this question.  Include what degree you're getting.

TESU will take credits from OnlineDegree and Sophia, but there's no official website showing how they come in - except this forum.

If you list all of the courses you took, in this order, we can help you:

Course #, Full course name, number of credits, grade if less than a C (TESU Course equivalency number in the format XYZ-123).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Quick question about MAN-3760 & MAN-3730 jg_nuy 7 475 03-20-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Age waiver question - 18 year old jg_nuy 26 2,046 03-01-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  TESU multiple degrees / residency question Sean1234 12 1,125 11-03-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Question about passing grades Randyb100 9 795 10-16-2023, 12:58 AM
Last Post: Randyb100
  CMP-354 Essay question examples. CanICode 2 536 07-18-2023, 04:07 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  Question about my Academic Evaluation AnalysisParalysis 19 2,151 07-15-2023, 02:59 PM
Last Post: Yolan
  TESU Computer science process question emmaya 45 3,489 07-02-2023, 10:38 PM
Last Post: emmaya
  Second Degree After Liberal Arts Question Johnny_Bravo 8 948 10-03-2022, 02:00 PM
Last Post: Flelm
  Saylor OPM-351 Business Statistics Question sarahmac 5 818 09-18-2022, 07:27 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  question on TESU non-proctored degree classes? EducationSeeker 7 1,464 08-03-2022, 08:01 PM
Last Post: EducationSeeker