Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Passed the CISSP!!!!
Big Grin 
Just dropping in because I passed my CISSP yesterday and I am ecstatic about it. May or may not be a CISSP yet, depending on how they count my past experience, but my interest in security didn't even begin until mid-November last year. For those who know the CISSP format, I passed at just 100 questions within 88 minutes!

Gotta thank this site for encouraging me to pick up on self-studying... don't think this would have been possible if I didn't speed through my degrees and learned what methods worked for me along the way.

Onto the next goal!
BS in Data Science & Analytics and BA in Computer Science and Mathematics at TESU (June 2019 to June 2020)
In-progress:
MS in Cybersecurity at NYU (January 2021 to December 2022?)
MCIT in Information Security and Assurance at NAU (September 2020 to March 2021)
[-] The following 3 users Like amaquiling's post:
  • allvia, MNomadic, MrBossmanJr
(11-01-2020, 09:04 PM)amaquiling Wrote: Just dropping in because I passed my CISSP yesterday and I am ecstatic about it. May or may not be a CISSP yet, depending on how they count my past experience, but my interest in security didn't even begin until mid-November last year. For those who know the CISSP format, I passed at just 100 questions within 88 minutes!

Gotta thank this site for encouraging me to pick up on self-studying... don't think this would have been possible if I didn't speed through my degrees and learned what methods worked for me along the way.

Onto the next goal!
Congrats! That's a very good cert!

I just passed Security+ on Friday as well.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(11-01-2020, 09:26 PM)MNomadic Wrote:
(11-01-2020, 09:04 PM)amaquiling Wrote: Just dropping in because I passed my CISSP yesterday and I am ecstatic about it. May or may not be a CISSP yet, depending on how they count my past experience, but my interest in security didn't even begin until mid-November last year. For those who know the CISSP format, I passed at just 100 questions within 88 minutes!

Onto the next goal!
Congrats! That's a very good cert!

I just passed Security+ on Friday as well.
Congrats to you as well! 

Had to take the CISSP due to a job requirement with a limited timeframe but I intend on doing the Security+ as well. Bought a voucher back in February and it’s only valid for one year.  Tongue
BS in Data Science & Analytics and BA in Computer Science and Mathematics at TESU (June 2019 to June 2020)
In-progress:
MCIT in Information Security and Assurance at NAU (September 2020 to March 2021)
Well if you passed CISSP, Sec+ should be a cake walk. I had studied for it back in March but testing centers closed just as I was almost ready to take it. Since online testing was over a month away I pivoted to my online classes since there were so many available at the time. Then, less than a week ago, someone gave me their sec+ voucher and I only realized afterwards that it expired at the end of October so I crammed for 3 days straight and pulled off a win. Big Grin

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
Congrats to you both! A Sec+ is a great option, I would ladder/stack that with another Comptia and a CISSP is where the mainstream or usual players want in their resume... good job, I would have gone the Sec+ before the CISSP but wow, you pulled a great win for that... what other certs did you go for before the CISSP and what prepared you for it most? I have a few CompTIA, Cisco, MTA etc, but haven't gone that far up the chain yet...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(11-03-2020, 05:32 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Congrats to you both!  A Sec+ is a great option, I would ladder/stack that with another Comptia and a CISSP is where the mainstream or usual players want in their resume... good job, I would have gone the Sec+ before the CISSP but wow, you pulled a great win for that... what other certs did you go for before the CISSP and what prepared you for it most?  I have a few CompTIA, Cisco, MTA etc, but haven't gone that far up the chain yet...
Would you believe me if I say none? Tongue  aside from AWS Developer Associate which isn’t really related at all... now I’m going for the GCSA from GIAC, AWS Security specialty and the Azure Security exams.

I actually only considered security starting November 2019, when my current team promised me a job after graduating despite having no experience. Then they onboarded me even earlier in February and it’s been a great fit!

Work experience in security governance definitely helped because I help oversee the security posture across the entire organization.

The materials I relied on the most were the 11th Hour study guide, Kelly Handerhan’s Cybrary course (paid for the subscription myself, when you cancel at full price at $50 they offer $29/month), the official CISSP test/study apps, and CISSP MindMap videos on YouTube. Also relied on the Essential CISSP audiobook on Audible, the Sybex official study guide and the Boson software, but they weren’t as helpful in my experience. Plus r/CISSP was great for finding resources and tips for passing.

Most important thing is to forget the technical knowledge and approach it from a managerial perspective.

My manager and director are working with me to see if my past experience counts towards the 5 year experience requirement... if all goes well then I can proudly call myself a CISSP at 22! But of course, the learning won’t stop there Smile
In-progress:
[-] The following 1 user Likes amaquiling's post:
  • MNomadic
Congrants. Its great accomplishment?
Do you work with both azure and aws? And/or is there a benefit from getting comparable certs on both platforms? I just got azure fundamentals for free and have been debating continuing the azure track but then I realized the WGU degree I'm going to start next year(BS NOS) includes AWS.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
CSM(3cr)
(11-06-2020, 10:49 AM)MNomadic Wrote: Do you work with both azure and aws? And/or is there a benefit from getting comparable certs on both platforms? I just got azure fundamentals for free and have been debating continuing the azure track but then I realized the WGU degree I'm going to start next year(BS NOS) includes AWS.
Not right now, though my current organization uses both. I want to have a broader skill set so that I’d be able to tackle a variety of problems, though AWS is the more popular choice between the two.
In-progress:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Passed All Eight Microsoft Fundamentals Exams sanantone 2 511 07-30-2022, 03:52 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Passed the PenTest+ beta exam! jamshid666 8 1,153 11-16-2021, 07:20 PM
Last Post: jamshid666
  An Icon has passed Prloko 0 524 04-23-2015, 01:48 PM
Last Post: Prloko
  Passed Real Estate Exam Southron Boy 9 2,537 08-20-2007, 02:53 AM
Last Post: yutzyj