Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patten MBA in Healthcare - My story - Will update as I go along
[SIZE=4]Background -

[/SIZE]
  • I finished my BS at Excelsior in August 2014 - 40 years (almost to the day) from when I originally started college Smile I had an outstanding and attentive advisor at Excelsior and my experience was excellent. I tested out of about 50 credits through DSST, CLEP, TECEPs, and Uexcels. However, it took me a long time because that is relatively unstructured. I was never sure if I was studying the right thing, if I was ready, etc. I finally pounded out 4 tests in a month at the end when I figure out how to make it work for me.
  • I'm a LVN and I've been in high-level positions in Healthcare Administration for over 30 years. However, as I've gotten older and the workforce more competitive, I needed more than my AS.
  • I wanted to get my RN, but decided against it since there aren't very many good part-time programs in Northern CA and they run about $40K for 18 months of torture.
  • I was going to go to WGU.edu for my masters, but stumbled onto Patten.edu. It's basically similar to the WGU program, competency based, but about half the cost. As you can see from this article, they actually based the programs on WGU. https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2013/10/08/universitynows-unique-approach-accreditation-and-federal-financial-aid
  • Because I have a good tuition reimbursement plan, it will be completely paid for through work.

My initial Patten Experience -

• The support to sign up has been amazing. I was assigned an Advisor (Ashley) and she has been wonderful. I ask a question, I get a real answer in more more than 24 hours, in writing. YAY! In some cases she checked for answers while I was on the phone with her and then followed up with a confirmation by email. I really asked a lot of questions. It took me about 60 days to decide if it was the right move. There was never any pressure.
  • As soon as I signed on the dotted line, I was assigned an "Onboarding Advisor" to help me through my initial program steps.
  • I was originally going to start on 11/17, but then found I could do my undergrad prereq of Microeconomics through Straighterline which would save me some money. Then I found I could do my Masters Org Development through Straighterline and save more money. It will be one class done for my Masters before I actually start. I'm doing those now. I have signed on the dotted line and will start 1/20/15.
  • When you start at Patten you have to complete an online orientation that helps you understand how the competency, tests, etc. work. Basically you can go from the pretest to the final pretest, to the final and (if required) project in each class without going through all the lessons, if you already know the subject well. I will probably do that with the healthcare specific courses. As with most Masters programs you have to get a final grade of 80 or above to pass the course.
  • I did the orientation last night. I actually watched all the videos and read all the info, so it took about 90 minutes. However, that's 90 minutes I don't have to spend once I start my classes. From the info I got in orientation, I think I'm really going to like Patten. It has enough structure for me to feel comfortable (what to study, assessment, readiness for final), but it all about your own timing and motivation to complete the courses.
  • Although I don't officially start until 1/20, the first four courses are "open" to me now. I can look at them and know what to study, do some of the work, etc. I just can't do the final and/or project until my start date. I was able to look at the syllubus for the first four courses and know what is ahead of me and know how I'll be graded.

I'll update this as I go through the program. Because I have an extensive background as a healthcare executive, I'm hoping to finish in two trimesters, which would be 8 months. That is assuming that the finance and econ pieces don't kill me!

I'm following a blog of another MBA student who is trying for 4 months. His blog is fourmonthMBA.com He is currently done with half the program and has two months left.

As a side note, their Bachelors programs are very affordable and I know they are being completed by some in 13 months.

Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

Way to go Denise - you're definitely moving right along! MBA coming your way!!Big Grin

Congratulations on your continued success! :hurray:
"I dwell in Possibility."  Emily Dickinson
2011-12  CLEP
 Int Psych - 75 / H G & D - 69 / Ed Psych - 72 / Am Lit - 80  / A & I Lit - 75 / Eng Lit - 73 2012-13  SL  Eng Comp I - 95.3% P /
Eng Comp II - 97.5% P 2014  EC/UEXCEL  Ab Psych - A / Soc Psych - A / Psych A & A - A  / Gerontology - A / Info Lit - P 2015 BYU Sport Psych - A / DSST Sub Abuse - 470 / Int World Rel - 481 / H T Y H - 465 / Tor College HIS 301 - 81% P 2016 EC LA498 Capstone - A
1991 AA Liberal Arts USNY Regents College
2016 BSLA Magna Cum Laude Excelsior College  - A 5 year journey COMPLETED!

2017-2019 Study.com Certs. - Am Lit/Brit Lit/Shakespeare/Poetry Review Shmoop - Shakespeare's Plays/Shakespeare in Context/Women's Lit
Congrats! Can't wait to follow your journey!!
Any updates Denise on your MBA?
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
Got sidetracked and I'm on hold. I'm doing 3 jobs at work and have absolutely no time in my life. Got really sick. I'll start up again in July.
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

Thanks Denise for the update. Hope you are feeling better. So hard being an adult isn't it? Lol. So much to do....so little time.
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
GoodYellowDogs Wrote:Got sidetracked and I'm on hold. I'm doing 3 jobs at work and have absolutely no time in my life. Got really sick. I'll start up again in July.

Sidetracked is my middle name so I can definitely relate. Hope you're feeling better!

I am doing myundergrad degree at Patten and am really enjoying it. I hope they continue adding grad programs. Based on my experience so far, I would definitely.consider Patten for grad school.
Associate in Arts - Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities - Thomas Edison State University
pursuing Master's degree, Applied Linguistics - Universidad Antonio de Nebrija

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Master of Healthcare Administration - options? allvia 4 807 05-10-2023, 08:19 PM
Last Post: CatsDomino
  Eastern University Update saturn366 5 1,426 03-21-2023, 10:43 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Harvard Online MS Healthcare degrees $56k tuition smartdegree 7 1,206 09-21-2022, 07:11 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  WGU MSCSIA update. ChilliDawg 24 5,268 07-22-2020, 07:19 AM
Last Post: ChilliDawg
  MBA - WGU vs. JFK (Patten) sanantone 7 1,926 09-22-2019, 06:17 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Masters Help Patten Replacement armstrongsubero 12 2,672 06-05-2019, 02:16 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  JTP's WGU MS CSIA Update Thread JTP 32 10,371 12-11-2018, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Life_One
  WGU MBA healthcare management Paramedic12 6 2,790 08-17-2018, 08:04 PM
Last Post: GoodYellowDogs
  Patten University Closing chorizo 9 5,883 07-25-2018, 02:32 PM