Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patten gen eds?
My 11th grader is earning college credit through our local CC's dual enrollment and Study.com
Some point before summer, I need to decide which AA makes the most sense for him, and I'm leaning toward Patten.

*I don't think they'll allow him to enroll until he graduates, so I'm planning everything except the remaining 15 credits unless I can get them to make an exception, which is still a possibility*

That said, I'm having a hard time working with their gen ed list. I know folks are using SL, Study, CLEP, etc. to meet the gen eds, but do they have any flexibility or equivalency lists floating around? For instance, their film class is an ART credit, but what can I sub out- anything? Nothing?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
They are surprisingly flexible - you might be able to petition to get him in before he graduates. You might also be able to petition for alternate sources of credit.

Also, if you go on the Saylor site and then click around on the different ways to get college credit, Patten is listed on many of them. Go to the part that says recognition for credit. Earn College Credit | Saylor Academy
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

GoodYellowDogs Wrote:They are surprisingly flexible - you might be able to petition to get him in before he graduates. You might also be able to petition for alternate sources of credit.

Also, if you go on the Saylor site and then click around on the different ways to get college credit, Patten is listed on many of them. Go to the part that says recognition for credit. Earn College Credit | Saylor Academy

Thanks a bunch!

I'm seriously not finding Patten as a partner school or through the ACEP? What am I missing!?! LOL

EDIT: they are on the ACE and NCCRS lists...ughhh those lists are worthless. Sad BUT, I still sent them an email (and my phone number lol) I have lots of questions.
I thought they were. Maybe it's straighterline I'm thinking of... any who.... they are flexible. :/
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

They are pretty flexible with certain courses. They gave me:
Sophia Visual Communications > Intro to Film
SL Environ Sci > Physical Sci
SL Cultural Anthro > Social Ethics

They won't accept ALEKS intro to stats for psych degrees, It has to be stats for behavioral sciences.

Straighterline covers a lot of Patten Gen Ed
For example:

Associate of Arts – General Studies
Concentration: Business

PSS100 Academic Strategies < Everyone has to take this
COM146 Communication > SL Intro to Comm
ART220 Introduction to Film > Sophia Visual Comm
ENG101A Reading and Composition > SL Eng 1
MTH115 College Algebra > ALEKS College Alg
PSY221 Psychology > SL or Sophia (Sophia is easier)
SOC230 Sociology > SL or Sophia
POL241 American Government > SL
ENG204 Interdisciplinary Reading, Writing, and Research > ?????
PSC152 Physical Science > SL
PHL263 Social Ethics > SL
PHL271 Philosophy > SL
HIS227 Ancient World History > ????????
PHY154 Physics I with Lab >
TESU: Capstone completed Big Grin
Study.com: Classroom Management, Differentiated Instruction (6)
Patten: Academic Strategies, Child Growth and Development, Reading, Writing, and Research, Social Psych, Lifespan Development, American Government (18)
Shmoop: Drugs in Lit, Holocaust Lit, Poetry, Lit in the Media, Modernist Lit, Shakespeare's Plays, Western Lit, Women's Lit, British Lit, Euro History (30)
SL: Cultural Anthropology, English Comp I, English Comp II, Biology, Intro Comm, Environmental Science, Philosophy, C++,  Religion (27)
TEEX: Cyber Security for Business Professionals, Cyber Security for Everyone, Cyber Security for IT Professionals (6)
Sophia: Art History, Psychology, Sociology, Visual Comm, Dev Teams  (13)
ALEKS: Beginning Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Statistics, Trigonometry (15)
NFA: Fire Service Supervision, Community Safety Educators (2)
Kaplan: Documenting Experiences (3)
ACTFL: Reading Proficiency Test (6)
CPCU: Ethics (2)
socsci Wrote:They are pretty flexible with certain courses. They gave me:
Sophia Visual Communications > Intro to Film
SL Environ Sci > Physical Sci
SL Cultural Anthro > Social Ethics

They won't accept ALEKS intro to stats for psych degrees, It has to be stats for behavioral sciences.

Straighterline covers a lot of Patten Gen Ed
For example:

Associate of Arts – General Studies
Concentration: Business

PSS100 Academic Strategies < Everyone has to take this
COM146 Communication > SL Intro to Comm
ART220 Introduction to Film > Sophia Visual Comm
ENG101A Reading and Composition > SL Eng 1
MTH115 College Algebra > ALEKS College Alg
PSY221 Psychology > SL or Sophia (Sophia is easier)
SOC230 Sociology > SL or Sophia
POL241 American Government > SL
ENG204 Interdisciplinary Reading, Writing, and Research > ?????
PSC152 Physical Science > SL
PHL263 Social Ethics > SL
PHL271 Philosophy > SL
HIS227 Ancient World History > ????????
PHY154 Physics I with Lab >

Thank you very much!
I hope to speak with them tomorrow or Tue and see if I can't pull out a bit more information about how to hit the gen eds. I'll post what I find.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Patten University is Closing sanantone 33 7,354 07-25-2018, 09:49 PM
Last Post: Toastmaster
  Patten University Undergrad I/O Psychology Progress Thread Nodaclu 17 3,582 03-19-2018, 10:00 PM
Last Post: jsd
  BS in Business at WGU versus BA in Management at Patten? rowan555 6 1,311 11-25-2016, 12:11 AM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Second Degree: My Patten University Experience Saharapost 7 2,432 08-27-2016, 11:03 AM
  Patten University Gives Graduate-Level Credit for a Straighterline Course! sanantone 20 2,287 03-15-2016, 08:56 PM
  patten university undergraduate ladylearner 25 3,056 02-05-2016, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Saharapost
  Seeking feedback about Patten University christy_nicole83 3 1,089 01-07-2016, 06:23 PM
Last Post: GoodYellowDogs
  Completing Patten Bachelor of Arts in Psychology - Industrial & Organizational silentstorm 6 1,160 01-06-2016, 04:28 PM
Last Post: ladylearner
  Patten University tuition discount offered through May 31st ladylearner 7 679 05-21-2015, 12:48 PM
  Patten University - undergrad ladylearner 0 390 02-02-2015, 04:37 PM