Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Penn Foster
I saw recently on degree info the mention of Penn Foster individual courses. Are they worth it?  does TESU still accept them? and also if the training programs are worth the cost, some are unique and interesting.
TIA
I believe TESU does still accept the ones that have been evaluated for ACE credit. I can't say whether or not they are worth it since I have never taken any Penn Foster courses. It would depend on what you're planning on taking, I suppose.
For those looking at Penn Foster, I took 3 of their courses before. This is how you should do it now as the pricing has sky rocketed from $237 (when I took it 4 years ago) to now at $389/3 credit course. There is a way to still get it for $79/credit ($237).
You will be charged $79/credit because you're a degree seeking student, just don't "finish" the degree with them.

1) Complete as many ACE credits from the providers of your choice as Penn Foster accepts up to 75% transfer
2) Register as a degree seeking student, but ask to take courses you want first after you send free transcripts from SL/Study.com or Sophia.org (whichever providers you currently have credit with)
3) Take only the ACE credits available at Penn Foster for degrees that you are into - Business, Criminal Justice, etc...
When you take the courses, make sure the ACE expiration doesn't expire soon.

The great thing about Penn Foster is, everything is Open Book! All the quizzes/exams, they also use RPNow, so there isn't anyone looking at you, instead you're just recorded and you can take the exams anytime you want instead of scheduling ahead of time.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • ctcarl, lucillegyl
I took a PF course (back when there weren't as many other options) and it was fine. Certainly not easy though.

I would not spend the money, since you can almost always find other options for way less, especially right now.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-04-2020, 03:38 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I took a PF course (back when there weren't as many other options) and it was fine. Certainly not easy though.

I would not spend the money, since you can almost always find other options for way less, especially right now.
Their gunsmithing certificate seemed interesting.
(06-04-2020, 10:40 PM)Lacedonia4 Wrote:
(06-04-2020, 03:38 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I took a PF course (back when there weren't as many other options) and it was fine. Certainly not easy though.

Not ACE-recommended.

I guess if you were to go to EC, you might be able to send those courses since PF is a NA school.  But TESU won't take anything that's not ACE.

I would just look at those as something fun for later after you finish your degree.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-05-2020, 11:32 AM)dfrecore Wrote:

Not ACE-recommended.

I guess if you were to go to EC, you might be able to send those courses since PF is a NA school.  But TESU won't take anything that's not ACE.

I would just look at those as something fun for later after you finish your degree.
Agree

I thought so as well. I was trying to decide between them and American Gunsmith Institute
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transfer Sophia.org credits to Penn State World Campus? nomaduser 16 2,913 12-19-2023, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Dlynn1219
  Penn State & ACE Example Learningnow 6 1,019 10-21-2023, 10:58 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Penn Foster ACE Credits jamshid666 15 2,650 08-27-2021, 02:16 PM
Last Post: gods6monkeys
Wink Speed/Ease of completion - SL vs SDC vs Penn Foster TopHatWombat 15 3,170 05-03-2020, 09:58 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  English Comp 1 - Avoid Penn Foster rowan555 7 4,233 05-23-2018, 05:07 PM
Last Post: rowan555
  Penn Foster Corporate Finance pugmomx2 1 1,050 03-06-2018, 02:20 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Penn Foster courses - that still a thing? TESU Equivalencies? kevinmane 3 2,340 02-19-2018, 04:02 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Penn Foster Early Childhood Education (ECE) Courses Julie S. 0 1,381 08-07-2017, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Julie S.
  Penn Foster Course Recommendations or Alternatives Lewis.Yim 9 2,804 07-05-2017, 03:24 PM
Last Post: Lewis.Yim
  penn foster single class? Zachcleigh 4 1,697 06-27-2017, 11:10 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77