Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Personality types and those who go back to school
In another thread, some of us discussed how very few adults will get another degree, even if it's free, unless they are threatened with the loss of their job. And, very few adults will go back to school for a degree, even if they are unhappy with their current job opportunities and know that they can get a bunch better job with a degree. I'm curious what others think about this.

This article seems relevant, although I feel like it's kind of polarizing. https://www.16personalities.com/articles...-turbulent

In addition, there are those of us who not only would grab a degree/cert when it's cheap, quick, or when it helps us get a better career, but we "hoard" degrees. I am even more curious about this.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • leland.kirk
My guess is that people end up here for all sorts of reasons, but the people who complete a degree alternatively (ex. big 3) are probably very autonomous types. I know that's not a type listed in the story, but you can't do what we do here if you need a lot of hand-holding. The DIY personality thrives here.

As for credential hoarding- I might put myself in that category, but I don't think that it's my default position, I think once I'm done homeschooling and have time to obsess over other things, I'll probably move on to my next obsession.

For fun - what was your personality type? I just took the test (my first time) and was labeled Protagonist.
MEDIATOR
(INFP-T)

No one can stop you from dreaming!
Goals: TESU BSBA GM (Added CIS) and BA Computer Science
BSBA GM - Added CIS AOS (CIS & GM completed)
BACS & Grad Plans (BACS instead of BALS w/NSM)

AAS ACS & ESST: Remaining - Associate Capstone
ASNSM CS: Completed, ASNSM Math: Remaining - Calculus I

Taking a majority of credits at Sophia.org, SL, and Study.com to finish these degrees
Updating my courses remaining by following forum advice, guide, spreadsheet & wiki
I got “LOGICIAN”
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • Life Long Learning
(06-11-2018, 01:20 PM)jsd Wrote: I got “LOGICIAN”

Me to jsd!  I love the quote underneath the little guy "This is all very interesting.  Now give me the facts."  Yep, that is me to a tee.

It also matches a Myers-Briggs I took in 1998, which had me at exactly the same thing (ISTJ).  Good to know that I haven't changed in 20 years!  Big Grin
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • jsd, Life Long Learning
"MEDIATOR", INFP-A. Just about what I expected.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I got Architect INTJ-A

I have always gotten INTP on the MB tests, though.
I am an INTJ-A. That's what I scored in high school and that's what I scored on this test.
That was kind of fun.. COMMANDER (ENTJ-a).
Doctor of Medicine candidate (MD) - anticipated complete '24
I got "The Campaigner" (ENFP-T)! 

A lot of it hit especially close to home, like:

"When it comes to conceiving ideas and starting projects, especially involving other people, Campaigners have exceptional talent. Unfortunately their skill with upkeep, administration, and follow-through on those projects struggles. Without more hands-on people to help push day-to-day things along, Campaigners’ ideas are likely to remain just that – ideas."

and

"Can’t I fly helicopters AND be an oceanographer who writes songs and cooks?"

Definitely interesting! If I'm ever bored enough I'll consider trying the course, though I'm not exactly sure what it's supposed to accomplish

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nicaragua seizes all assets from INCAE Business School elcastor21 0 302 09-26-2023, 04:55 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Found: $1,500 (TOTAL) At-own-pace Law School dcan 48 9,248 08-28-2023, 10:34 PM
Last Post: resistk
Question Poll: Just not sure what to major in for grad school and which direction to go! Randyb100 21 1,569 05-26-2023, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Randyb100
  Can I get a High School Diploma after getting my GED and Associates? IReallyNeedADegree 24 2,732 02-06-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  School Psychologists?? Vle045 3 917 01-21-2022, 03:22 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  U of Michigan removes School President bjcheung77 0 569 01-15-2022, 09:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Worst School Name Alpha 13 2,097 10-04-2021, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Marcus Aurelius
  Should taxpayers fund any and every choice in school and/or major? sanantone 14 1,685 08-19-2021, 01:19 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Back 2 School - Buy Mac/iPad - get AirPods + 20% off AppleCare bjcheung77 0 680 06-23-2021, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  For Sale: Virtual High School with AP bjcheung77 11 1,768 06-01-2021, 01:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore