Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phd
I am looking for an affordable online PhD program in computer science , software engineering or related fields.
The only affordable program I found is from Aspen University.
I was wondering if you guys have any recommendations.
Thanks
[-] The following 1 user Likes tabasit's post:
  • lucillegyl
(01-03-2020, 09:20 PM)tabasit Wrote: I am looking for an affordable online PhD program in computer science , software engineering or related fields.
The only affordable program I found is from Aspen University.
I was wondering if you guys have any recommendations.
Thanks

I've been looking into these as well. While there are several universities offering online PhD programs these days, there are not many that I'd consider affordable. Most CS PhD programs appear to be in the $70K+ (US) range, and only one of those are online.

I looked at Aspen as well. That program has come up on this forum a few times in recent years, but it is not regionally accredited. At $27K plus $5K in books and fees, that is a really well-priced DCS degree. Yes, it is a DCS not a PhD in Computer Science. But since it is only nationally accredited, that makes it less desirable for me as I'd like to keep my options open for teaching.

The next least expensive Computer Science program is the PhD in Computer Science from Northcentral University, coming in around $67K plus books. This degree does have the potential for a full-ride scholarship, but that is unlikely. Without that, I probably wouldn't consider it.

After that is the DCS degree from Colorado Technical University at $60K in tuition plus $14K in fees. At $74K, I don't really consider that affordable without some kind of scholarship.

The only other sub-$100K CS-related online doctoral degree that I found is the PhD in Systems Engineering from Colorado State University at $78K. Though this may not really count since it isn't specifically computer systems engineering, though that is included as part of the program.

I am not including doctoral degrees in Information Technology, Information Systems, Data Science, or Information Science, which are aligned with CS programs but aren't really CS.

I've only spent a short time doing research, though I think I exhausted most if not all of the accredited online schools. I also found quite a number of online doctoral programs, including a few CS programs, that I didn't include because I don't think they are legit; at the least, they were not accredited via any reliable accreditation body.

Realistically, the Aspen degree is really the only affordable DCS degree that I've found. UALR has a PhD in Computer Information Sciences that I am also considering. UALR offers a CS specific track for that, but it isn't available online––only the Information Science and Information Quality tracks.

I'd also be interested if anyone has found anything else.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Are you limiting this to US Universities? I know a few people around on this and the sister board have taken degrees online at the University of South Africa. They have a research PhD in Computer Science.
https://www.unisa.ac.za/sites/corporate/...ce-(98803)
At less than $2k per year, you can't get much more affordable.
Achieved
BSBA - GM: TESU
BSc(Hons) Politics: University of Plymouth
GradCert in Computing: London Metropolitan University
Prince2 Certified
Lean Six Sigma Green Belt

In Progress
Certificate in Technology Leadership: Cornell University (free through employer)

Planned
Master in Public Administration: Marconi University
Certificate in Accounting: Cornell University
I've searched extensively, and the only program in Computer Science I found that's cheap is the Aspen University DSc. It's very affordable when you compare the prices of other programs.

Nothing is wrong with Aspen. You have to decide what your goals are. If you want a doctorate in computer science for industry or personal gain or to legally call yourself "doctor". Can't beat it.

If you want a PhD in CS for teaching, you're better off attending a well recognized school locally and doing research on campus. The majority of these programs are free and you even get a stipend, provided you teach a class or two each week.

Good luck!
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

if looking at UK, then there's afew.

University of Reading has a PhD in Computer Science, it's about $39k USD for the whole program

https://www.reading.ac.uk/computer-scien....aspx#fees

University of Sunderland has the same thing, but cheaper, around $30k USD.

https://www.sunderland.ac.uk/study/postg...sophy-phd/

University of Leicester has a PhD in Management, with research areas in Information systems, User Experience and afew other fields. it's about $30k USD for the whole program.

https://www2.le.ac.uk/research-degrees/p...upervisors
As you mentioned or If you don't mind a related field, University of the Cumberlands has a PHD in IT for $30K USD.
For some reason, all the programs I look at, if it's close to $30K USD, I keep it in my list of programs...
I can't afford any extra courses at this time, but if I had more cash or tuition assistance, I'll go for this program.
In fact, there are a few other universities that have similar programs, but it's not in Comp Sci, but in IT.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
hmm... i found this, but i cant find the exact cost.

Quote:The Computer Science and Engineering Department offers its graduate programs via distance delivery: Graduate Certificate in Cybersecurity, Master of Science, and Doctor of Philosophy. Current areas of research include cybersecurity, data analytics, machine learning and networking.

https://www.nmt.edu/gradstudies/DistancePgms.php
(01-04-2020, 08:54 AM)Leedeedee Wrote: Are you limiting this to US Universities?  I know a few people around on this and the sister board have taken degrees online at the University of South Africa.  They have a research PhD in Computer Science.  
https://www.unisa.ac.za/sites/corporate/...ce-(98803)
At less than $2k per year, you can't get much more affordable.

I saw that one but wasn't sure about its legitimacy. It is on my "to do more research" list.

(01-04-2020, 02:11 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: As you mentioned or If you don't mind a related field, University of the Cumberlands has a PHD in IT for $30K USD.
For some reason, all the programs I look at, if it's close to $30K USD, I keep it in my list of programs...
I can't afford any extra courses at this time, but if I had more cash or tuition assistance, I'll go for this program.
In fact, there are a few other universities that have similar programs, but it's not in Comp Sci, but in IT.

I don't know about the OP, but I specifically did not include doctoral degrees in Information Technology, Information Systems, Data Science, or Information Science, which are aligned with CS programs but aren't really CS.

(01-04-2020, 01:08 PM)nyvrem Wrote: if looking at UK, then there's afew.

University of Reading has a PhD in Computer Science, it's about $39k USD for the whole program

https://www.reading.ac.uk/computer-scien....aspx#fees

University of Sunderland has the same thing, but cheaper, around $30k USD.

https://www.sunderland.ac.uk/study/postg...sophy-phd/

University of Leicester has a PhD in Management, with research areas in Information systems, User Experience and afew other fields. it's about $30k USD for the whole program.

https://www2.le.ac.uk/research-degrees/p...upervisors

Hmm... are those all fully online programs? I didn't find anything in the UK that was fully online. I found the Heriot-Watt online DBA/PhD in Management, but that was the only one.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
@Merlin

the ones i sic were research based. you study like 3-4 research mods (those are online), then u meet with ur supervisor and get your stuff done and viva in person.

there's one fully online DBA from Teeside University

https://www.tees.ac.uk/postgraduate_cour...nline).cfm
(01-04-2020, 04:41 PM)nyvrem Wrote: hmm... i found this, but i cant find the exact cost.

Quote:The Computer Science and Engineering Department offers its graduate programs via distance delivery: Graduate Certificate in Cybersecurity, Master of Science, and Doctor of Philosophy. Current areas of research include cybersecurity, data analytics, machine learning and networking.

https://www.nmt.edu/gradstudies/DistancePgms.php

Hmm, that is a pretty good find. That one didn't come up in my search for some reason. And it is an RA, research-based public university.

Tuition is $396.12 per credit hour + $205 per semester (technology fee) + $90 per semester (bond retirement fee). Plus books of course. Since its a 60 credit program, and assuming 12 semesters (4 years) that is about $27,307. Which is quite good.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador