Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pierpont BOG AAS
(08-13-2018, 05:32 PM)Faceparade Wrote:
(08-13-2018, 05:10 PM)allvia Wrote: You should start a new thread asking for someone who has taken the Bio CLEP how it appears on their TESU transcript - this particular thread topic is likely not going to get the answer you need.

I will add that if you do opt for the TESU ASNSM Biology it will require Bio I & II with lab, so the CLEP will not work (as there is no lab credit for the CLEP). Now you could CC just the Bio I and II w/lab and then CLEP the Chemistry, test out option the rest.  I'm a course short myself in the ASNSM Biology which is why I am so familiar with it, its on my eval (I work in Tech Project Mngt, so not a career builder degree for me - that is the only reason I'm not adding it to my 2018 graduation - I need my bachelor to be done to work in my MBA-IT)

I’ve been looking at the link sent for the Bio ASNSM at TESU.  I think there are a few ways to get bio done with labs, but it may just be easier through CC like you said.

Do you have a good list for which courses, whether through CLEP, SL or other places, that will help fulfill all the other required equivalent  courses for TESU? Maybe what you’ve finished towards that ASNSM?

I brought in all my AOS credits from CC courses, other than the Bio I & II w/labs I have 'Anatomy and Physiology' and 'Kinesiology'

But for alternative credits vs CC you could use Straighterline (SL):
Anatomy & Physiology I ($59 3/credit) + Anatomy & Physiology I Lab ($49 1/credit)
AND
Anatomy & Physiology II ($59 3/credit) + Anatomy & Physiology II Lab ($49 1/credit)
That with the CC Bio w/lab I & II and you would have the AOS complete

Or you could opt for the Max Study.com options - they offer a number of Bio 3 credits.
Biology 101L: Intro to Biology with Lab
then take Bio II w/lab via CC*

Then any three of the following (as you will still need 8 credits, and these are all 3 each)
Biology 102: Basic Genetics
Biology 103: Microbiology
Biology 105: Anatomy and Physiology
Biology 106: Pathophysiology

*The problem with only taking Bio II w/lab via CC and not the Bio I w/lab & the Bio II w/lab at the same CC is that you risk the loss of course continuity. Meaning II at the same CC as the I would be just a continuation of what you had already be exposed to – vs the risk of getting completely lost with topics then you never learned when you take a Bio I w/lab from one provider and then jump to a Bio II w/lab from another.

As far as the Chemistry goes you could just CLEP those for 6 credits that would apply towards the 8 you need in ‘Understanding the Physical and Natural World’ general education credits. Plenty of other courses that you can test out of for make up the other 2 needed in that area.  Of course if you’re not comfortable with CLEP in Chemistry then you could take Straighterline’s Chemistry I & Chemisty I lab for 4 credits in Chemistry.  Your certification requirements don’t seem to specify just how many credits needed in Chemistry (unless I'm missing that?) – just that you need some, so that could be an option as well.

This should probably be put in its own ”earning a TESU ASNSM in Biology” thread instead of one labeled 'Pierpont BOG AAS', as we are far from that now – feel free to copy and share, current as of today (8/14/18)
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • yugledys.hoyos
Awesome! Thanks everyone for you help. This has made things so much clearer and less stressful.
(08-14-2018, 01:56 AM)dfrecore Wrote: You can also do your labs through TESU. They are 1cr courses, so if you have the Study.com affiliation, they are $366. I don't think there's an extra fee for the lab kit like SL would have. Not sure how this compares to NMJC, but I do know that it's faster (12 weeks instead of 16).

For some reason, Rio Salado has Chem I & II Labs as stand-alone 1cr courses separate from the 3cr lecture , but that's not the case for Physics I & II which only have the option of taking them as 4cr courses. And they don't even have Bio I & II - how can you have Chem & Physics I & II, but not Bio I & II???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT TO ADD: Just looked at NMJC, and they have Bio I w/Lab for the 1st half of the semester, and Bio II w/Lab as the 2nd half of the semester if you wanted to do them in an accelerated format (they also have full semester courses).

TESU does have lab kits that cost extra. The ones I looked at were $100-$200 for chem 1 & phys 1/2.

Yeah I was just looking at Rio Salado as well. Confused about the lack of BIO 1/2 and chem labs being separate but not phys.

Edit: Across the Maricopa community college district(rio Salado is part of) General Biology 1 & 2 are only available as in person classes.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
These are the TESU courses with lab kits:

https://sites.google.com/tesu.edu/genera...e/lab-kits

Some of the other electronics courses also require you to buy some expensive software as well.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
If I were just to go for an AA/AS, would COSC be a winner over TESU.
(08-14-2018, 02:45 PM)Faceparade Wrote: If I were just to go for an AA/AS, would COSC be a winner over TESU.

Cost wise - seems like COSC could be lower, but not necessarily by much - here is a recent thread on the COSC Associates: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-COSC-AA-Help
Amberton University

How about ed4credits biology labs? Those work right?
(08-15-2018, 02:49 PM)Faceparade Wrote: How about ed4credits biology labs? Those work right?

ed4credit only has general biology 1 lab. you would still need general biology 2 lab.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
CSM(3cr)
(08-14-2018, 01:56 AM)dfrecore Wrote: EDIT TO ADD: Just looked at NMJC, and they have Bio I w/Lab for the 1st half of the semester, and Bio II w/Lab as the 2nd half of the semester if you wanted to do them in an accelerated format (they also have full semester courses).

This is a good option that dfrecore posted - New Mexico Jr College is very affordable http://www.nmjc.edu/ and this gives you the option to get both Bio I & II w.labs in one semester - which means if you are eligible for Pell Grants or other financial aid you can get credit as a 1/2 time student with.
Amberton University

At this point I’m not sure I’m totally sold on getting the ASNSM at TESU. For the purposes of getting certified I’d like to do this quick and cheap. I’m thinking an AS at COSC. They need 7-8 credits of science, including just one lab.

So my thoughts are it would be much simpler for me to just go for that. Try to CLEP For BIO and CHEM. Seems like those are both worth 6 credits each. And then do a bio lab through ed4credit. If they prove difficult as other have mentioned maybe I’ll try for some of the other schools mentioned.

The rest I’ll CLEP out, ALEKS for the math, and the FEMA plus TEEX and some of my CC to fill out the electives portion.

Am I totally off base here? I really appreciate all the direction you guys have given me. And I know that the ASNSM is the smarter choice for the future as far as transferability, but for now I’m ok with just meeting the requirements for my current position to take my exam.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  credit transfer process at Pierpont for AAS, BOG tdat314 8 474 04-17-2024, 12:49 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Pierpont associates Query Jbloggs 3 154 04-15-2024, 04:02 PM
  International Students for Pierpont BOG AAS Program weelun 18 891 04-13-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: stevenphm
  Eligibility and Transfer Credits for Pierpont’s AAS Program akr680 19 681 04-10-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: akr680
  Pierpont BOG possible? JohnJ2024 4 781 04-03-2024, 03:53 PM
Last Post: mr_peanutbutter
  Pierpont price hike NOX 12 757 03-26-2024, 01:08 PM
  Update: Pierpont does not require HS Transcripts if you previously attended college Ares 5 673 03-14-2024, 07:09 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Anyone Have Issues Transferring Earned College Credits to Pierpont? Gumbeaux 17 1,042 03-07-2024, 11:38 AM
Information Sophia Courses to Avoid with the Pierpont BOG Degree Ares 24 1,736 02-27-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Working on Pierpont AAS Ariadne 19 1,375 02-25-2024, 11:06 PM
Last Post: LevelUP