Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pierpont for nephew
Hello, all.

I have been talking to my nephew who wants to get an associates degree for a better position with his employer.  He just turned 27 and works third shift at a local manufacturing facility.  He talked to his boss and was told an AAS would most likely move him into a management position.  He's very interested in Pierpont since he does have some community college credit from 2012-2014.  Here is what he has (all RA from community college):

ACA 111 College Student Success -   1, A 

ART 111 Art Appreciation - 3, A 

BIO 111 & Lab - 4, A 

ENG 111 Expository Writing - 3, B  

ENG 112 Argument-Based Research - 3, B 

ENG 131 Intro to Literature - 3, B    

COM 231 Public Speaking - 3, A   

PSY 150 Intro to Psychology - 3, C   

BPR 111 Blueprint Reading - 2, B 

DFT 119 Basic CAD - 2, B     

ISC 112 Industrial Safety - 2, B   

EGR 111 Engineer Comp and Careers - 3, B  

Total:     32 RA credits

I'm not sure if the last four classes would transfer for credit or not.  Also, if I'm understanding this correctly, he'll need a computer literacy course and either a math or science to complete requirements.  He also wants an area of emphasis in business.  Can he get that using just Sophia courses or will he need to look into SDC or another provider?  Any insight or planning help you guys could offer would be really appreciated.
He can get most of that with just Sophia. For a Business AoE, it'll probably be quickest/easiest to just take Google's Project Management certificate for free through The American Dream Academy and then fill out the remaining credits from Sophia. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pi...egree_Plan
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • CatsDomino
You're correct in your looking at this:

NatSci or Math
Computer
22cr of Free Electives

If at some point he wants to get a BABA at UMPI (cheapest option), your best bets would be:
Chem or EnviroSci
Intro to IT
5 business courses that will xfer to UMPI (Financial Accounting, Intro to Business, etc.)
Intro to Ethics
Spanish I
The Essentials of Managing Conflict or Developing Effective Teams

There are more, but those will definitely get you the Pierpont AAS and then get you started on making progress on UMPI's BABA.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • CatsDomino
Thank you both so much for your help.  I went the traditional route with my degrees and am a bit clueless when it comes to this.  My nephew is too smart to stay in his current position with his company.  His assistant plant manager has an AAS in business and pulls down nearly $72k after just 18 months on the job.  I had no idea a two-year degree could take you that far in manufacturing, but it apparently can.  He talked to his supervisor about the BOG with a business emphasis, and they said that would work just fine for a promotion.  Thanks again!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Big Grin Degree Planning Advice - Pierpont to UMPI or WGU ElBert 11 667 03-11-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Rainbow Am I On Track? Pierpont to UMPI Princ3OfCrim3 2 427 12-15-2023, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Princ3OfCrim3
  Degree Advice - Pierpont, UMPI, WGU? Darknigh7 14 967 12-10-2023, 12:30 PM
  Pierpont/UMPI degree plan/course fulfillment help vesparza15 6 593 10-06-2023, 06:52 PM
  degree plan for Pierpont to UMPI for BABA or BAS any4yeardegree 5 629 09-13-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: any4yeardegree
  Pierpont to Bachelor's Degree MidtownNYC 2 440 09-04-2023, 10:56 AM
  Pierpont to Bachelor's Degree? adaggiote 2 457 08-12-2023, 10:44 AM
  An Update: Pierpont AAS BoG to WGU BSIT, looking for feedback/advice! Alec311 9 974 07-27-2023, 10:38 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Pierpont BOG AAS to UMPI BAS-MIS ToBeIT 19 3,544 07-02-2023, 06:00 PM
  WGU BSCS or Pierpont->UMPI->MS swellguy 26 2,129 06-13-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: LevelUP