Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please help! I desperately need an alternative to a course
You can pretend to be aggressive online, they won't know you're a soft spoken person at all. I would go further saying you'll intend to bring this up with the BBB and also ask for a refund for your enrollment, as you were taking the course for the sole purpose of transferring it into Excelsior's degree program.

I fully support you in sending that correspondence not only to the Advisor and their Supervisor, but also to the Dean and Director, I would go to the top with this! You need to tell them you're on a mission to complete this, if it can't be done at their level, it needs to go to the Appeals team, the director/dean/registrar, whoever makes the final say.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(09-14-2017, 03:14 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: You can pretend to be aggressive online, they won't know you're a soft spoken person at all.  I would go further saying you'll intend to bring this up with the BBB and also ask for a refund for your enrollment, as you were taking the course for the sole purpose of transferring it into Excelsior's degree program.  

I fully support you in sending that correspondence not only to the Advisor and their Supervisor, but also to the Dean and Director, I would go to the top with this!  You need to tell them you're on a mission to complete this, if it can't be done at their level, it needs to go to the Appeals team, the director/dean/registrar, whoever makes the final say.

I haven't actually taken the Davar exam yet.. Would that change your opinion of contacting the Dean or Director?  I would be appealing their decision not to add it to my approved courses list, based off the fact they added it once before and the NCCRS evaluation hasn't changed.  It just seems so arbitrary.
(09-13-2017, 10:01 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Well, post your courses on here, and I will see what it would take for you to get the BSBA in Finance at TESU.

Thank you very much for offering to do this! I will post my credits below.  I made a c or better in all the classes listed.

Community College 1
100 Intro to criminal justice
100 English composition I
100 English composition II
200 American Lit II
200 American national government
200 General psychology
200 Intro to sociology
100 Fundamentals of oral communication

Community College 2
200 Wellness 
100 Western Civ II
100 Art appreciation
200 Principles of nutrition
100 Western Civ I
100 Ethics
200 Microeconomics
100 Inter collegiate Algebra
200 Principles of Marketing
100 Precalculus algebra
200 World Literature II
100 Physical science I
100 Physical Science II

CLEP
Analyzing & Interpreting Literature
Principles of Management
Intro to US Business Law

DSST
Intro to Computing
Management Information Systems

Straighterline
Accounting I
Accounting II

Study.com
Macroeconomics
Organizational Behavior

Davar 
Information Literacy

Penn Foster
Financial Management
Well, the good news is that most of your courses fit into the TESU plan - only 2 courses were unneeded.  The bad news is you need 10 courses, and $4300 to finish your degree at TESU.

The other option, which would actually be cheaper, is a General Management degree at TESU, which would be 8 courses and $4000 (MIS and Org Behavior would work in the AOS here, but won't be used in the Finance AOS, and your Gen Eds are full).

Anyway, I created a spreadsheet showing what you need to take for each degree, hopefully it helps.

Attached Files
.xlsx   leeloodallas TESU BSBA FIN.xlsx (Size: 76.64 KB / Downloads: 7)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(09-14-2017, 07:48 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Well, the good news is that most of your courses fit into the TESU plan - only 2 courses were unneeded.  The bad news is you need 10 courses, and $4300 to finish your degree at TESU.

The other option, which would actually be cheaper, is a General Management degree at TESU, which would be 8 courses and $4000 (MIS and Org Behavior would work in the AOS here, but won't be used in the Finance AOS, and your Gen Eds are full).

Anyway, I created a spreadsheet showing what you need to take for each degree, hopefully it helps.

Thank you again, I really appreciate it.  I don't want to take the two extra classes, but I'm prepared to do so if necessary.  I was going to have to spend $4006 more to finish up everything for/at Excelsior, so the $4300 wouldn't be a huge difference thankfully.  

It looks like it's too late to apply, enroll, and register at TESU for the Oct 2017 capstone and finish it by the end of this year.  The Nov 2017 capstone is still a better option than Excelsior time-wise.
A student loan for a couple thousand is not the disaster that financing an entire master's degree plus living expenses is. If you're sure about the utility of your degree, (it will make you money) then I wouldn't worry about a small loan to get over the hump.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(09-14-2017, 10:03 PM)davewill Wrote: A student loan for a couple thousand is not the disaster that financing an entire master's degree plus living expenses is. If you're sure about the utility of your degree, (it will make you money) then I wouldn't worry about a small loan to get over the hump.

You're right, and the bigger issue is definitely the timeframe.  The grad school I want to attend is in another country, and it would be an awful strain on my family and life plans to delay my attendance by a full year.  The unexpected expense of taking the Excelsior class would just be insult added to injury.
(09-14-2017, 10:27 PM)leeloodallas Wrote:
(09-14-2017, 10:03 PM)davewill Wrote: A student loan for a couple thousand is not the disaster that financing an entire master's degree plus living expenses is. If you're sure about the utility of your degree, (it will make you money) then I wouldn't worry about a small loan to get over the hump.

You're right, and the bigger issue is definitely the timeframe.  The grad school I want to attend is in another country, and it would be an awful strain on my family and life plans to delay my attendance by a full year.  The unexpected expense of taking the Excelsior class would just be insult added to injury.

You should be able to go into your MAP plan and choose the requirements section for that Finance Course and click the exams tab and it should list the exams you can take to meet the requirement. It's possible PRINCIPLES OF FINANCE (BUSX350) Uexcel might meet the requirement. Its only  145 dollars and that includes the practice tests, see if that works for you?
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,
(09-14-2017, 10:46 PM)EI2HCB Wrote:
(09-14-2017, 10:27 PM)leeloodallas Wrote:

You should be able to go into your MAP plan and choose the requirements section for that Finance Course and click the exams tab and it should list the exams you can take to meet the requirement. It's possible PRINCIPLES OF FINANCE (BUSX350) Uexcel might meet the requirement. Its only  145 dollars and that includes the practice tests, see if that works for you?
I checked it and the BUSX350 Uexcel was listed under the Financial Management course, but not under the Advanced Financial Management course that I need.  Thank you for the suggestion, this is useful to know anyway.
(09-14-2017, 08:20 PM)leeloodallas Wrote: Thank you again, I really appreciate it.  I don't want to take the two extra classes, but I'm prepared to do so if necessary.  I was going to have to spend $4006 more to finish up everything for/at Excelsior, so the $4300 wouldn't be a huge difference thankfully.  

It looks like it's too late to apply, enroll, and register at TESU for the Oct 2017 capstone and finish it by the end of this year.  The Nov 2017 capstone is still a better option than Excelsior time-wise.

I think you can apply immediately (like tonight) and then call tomorrow and ask to register for the October capstone.  the online course has 2 spots open and the guided study has 3 spots open.  Make sure you apply as a Study.com affiliate member to get the discount (the course should only be $1098 instead of $1497)!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are the easiest majors to study with alternative credit? Pelican 9 2,980 04-08-2018, 08:27 AM
Last Post: Ideas
  Alternative Credit Project at TESU cmoose 0 1,008 11-30-2017, 06:51 PM
Last Post: cmoose
  TESU ASNSM Biology - Alternative Options or Exceptions for Lab? bjcheung77 10 2,276 08-13-2017, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Silly_Me
  Alternative Test Equivalencies ORD 2 902 05-31-2017, 11:36 AM
Last Post: DavidHume
  Charter Oak/Alternative Credit Project GreggT67 28 2,717 09-29-2016, 01:33 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Alternative Credit Project Ecosystem *** For ACE Saylor Credit*** Peter123456789 2 796 08-31-2016, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Flelm
  Alternative Credit Project Lists for COSC and TESU KayV 3 910 07-10-2016, 10:10 PM
Last Post: TrailRunr
  WOW! ACE Alternative Credit Project fsmaine0020 2 612 03-07-2016, 12:37 PM
Last Post: brainfroze
  Any alternative to TESC Capstone? Nightmoves5 13 1,325 10-18-2015, 03:29 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COM-209. The non DSST alternative? silentstorm 10 1,448 07-09-2015, 11:38 AM
Last Post: cookderosa