Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please help me decide on an academic path
Happy to see a fellow Indian here. I am doing BBA PM & IS from UMPI. It's costing me 1.5 Lakhs including everything(non-Indians, please excuse me for using an Indian-specific term roughly equals to $2000). If you want a RA degree from a B&M state university cheaper than Btech from a tier-2 college in India, nothing can beat UMPI.

Are you specifically looking for a CS degree or PM & IS is sufficient?

UMPI looks good when recruiters search for it, unlike PUG/UMass/TESU which gives away online-only vibes. Do you have this concern?

Do you have any undergraduate credits in India, UMPI accepted all courses from my 10 years old discontinued BTech, and they replaced some difficult courses to take.

To make it simple, Get BBA PM from UMPI -- show it to recruiters -- get a job -- rejoin when UMPI introduces CS degree -- and complete only required courses to get a CS degree.
[-] The following 1 user Likes path_seeker's post:
  • Pikachu
(03-15-2022, 11:34 AM)path_seeker Wrote: Happy to see a fellow Indian here. I am doing BBA PM & IS from UMPI. It's costing me 1.5 Lakhs including everything(non-Indians, please excuse me for using an Indian-specific term roughly equals to $2000). If you want a RA degree from a B&M state university cheaper than Btech from a tier-2 college in India, nothing can beat UMPI.

To make it simple,  Get BBA PM from UMPI -- show it to recruiters --  get a job -- rejoin when UMPI introduces CS degree -- and complete only required courses to get a CS degree.

UMPI does not offer a BBA. They offer a BA in Business Administration. Just wanted to clear that up as a BBA is an actual degree in the US and it's not offered at UMPI. The UMPI YourPace degrees are BA and BLS.
(03-15-2022, 11:34 AM)path_seeker Wrote: Happy to see a fellow Indian here. I am doing BBA PM & IS from UMPI. It's costing me 1.5 Lakhs including everything(non-Indians, please excuse me for using an Indian-specific term roughly equals to $2000). If you want a RA degree from a B&M state university cheaper than Btech from a tier-2 college in India, nothing can beat UMPI.

Are you specifically looking for a CS degree or PM & IS is sufficient?

UMPI looks good when recruiters search for it, unlike PUG/UMass/TESU which gives away online-only vibes. Do you have this concern?

Do you have any undergraduate credits in India, UMPI accepted all courses from my 10 years old discontinued BTech, and they replaced some difficult courses to take.

To make it simple,  Get BBA PM from UMPI -- show it to recruiters --  get a job -- rejoin when UMPI introduces CS degree -- and complete only required courses to get a CS degree.
Hello. Big Grin After considering both TESU and UMPI, UMPI seems to be the better option. True, a BTech from a private college in India would cost much more than UMPI and Sophia/Saylor combined. I'm a BTech dropout and I've completed a year in BTech. I hope those credits transfer. If I have an questions regarding credit transfer or getting my BTech transcripts evaluated, can I PM you? Also, I'm really hoping to get a degree soon. I'm tired of constantly being chided by almost everyone I meet for not having a degree.  Sad
Not sure if you're still active on the forum, but have you considered the online BSc in Programming & Data Science degree by IIT Madras?
(06-04-2022, 12:43 PM)Pikachu Wrote: Not sure if you're still active on the forum, but have you considered the online BSc in Programming & Data Science degree by IIT Madras?

IIT Madras' BSc is obviously THE most respected Online/DistanceEd degree in India.
Nothing beats it. Period.
But it is ridiculously tough. There are lots of proctored exams for every course.

The cheapest Computer Science degree would be IGNOU's recently launched online BCA .
IGNOU is the only distance education university run by the Government of India. So, the standard is good and recruiters don't look at it unfavourably.
https://www.ndtv.com/education/ignou-lau...l-learners

If you want to take some risk, you can try Amity University's online BCA . Amity is regionally accredited by WSUC . That is a big deal and it may be possible that you could transfer your 3-year BCA to a 4-year US university program.

Also don't forget to register on https://abc.gov.in . It is the Govt's new initiative to facilitate credit transfer between Indian Universities.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sasank's post:
  • Tomas

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Path to MSW with no degree and 52! BELEEMA 11 540 04-03-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Thoughts on path to BA for drug/alcohol counselors studyingfortests 10 411 03-30-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
Smile Path/degree recommendation for a 40 yr old man with no degree Freyo27 5 222 03-29-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Freyo27
  Path Recommendation for 50 y.o. male in US ill13 13 928 03-28-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: ill13
Lightbulb Which path should I choose? Lil_Boi 7 463 02-12-2024, 05:21 PM
  Requesting Feedback on Best Degree Path turnitloud 3 372 01-24-2024, 09:48 PM
  Associate degree in CJ: easiest path with no prior credits? CM1999 2 266 01-11-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Advice on Degree path Kirpow1010 26 2,247 12-02-2023, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Kirpow1010
  Looking for Quickest and cheapest path to a BS in Business fozzy3o 24 1,866 10-12-2023, 11:01 AM
Last Post: fozzy3o
  Is Computer Science the best path? Please help! MJ75 11 832 10-09-2023, 11:32 AM