Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please help me figure out if my plan to transfer into UMPI makes sense
I am hoping you guys can help me figure something out.
I am enrolled at TESU. I only need 16 credits more to graduate with BA Comm, 6 credits are required (Capstone and Mass Comm II) and the other 10 credits electives. The thing is, TESU doesn't have more courses I really want. But, UMPO has several I'd like.
So I was contemplating:
* Enrolling in the BA English/Prof Journalism and Comm program at UMPI for the October term. Taking the 4 PCJ courses at UMPI that I know want (and not take anything more at TESU during that time).
* Transferring those 4 UMPI courses into TESU to (hopefully) satisfy my remaining electives. Then take my one last required TESU capstone and graduate with a BA in Comm.
* Then return to UMPI and work towards the 30 credits I'd need there for their BA English.
Does this plan make sense to anyone besides me? LOL. Is it doable?
I don't have to do it, I could take stuff I have no interest in at TESU and be done but I'd really like to learn things I am interested in. 

I did look at the UMPI transfer page and a lot of my courses didn't appear. I emailed Jessica and she said they wouldn't be able to tell me what would transfer until i applied.
I have these. Some are from TESU and some are from the local county college where I got my Associates. 
All are 3 credits except the two noted.
SOS110 Critical Info Literacy (TESU 2022)
ENG101 English Comp I
ENG102 English Comp II
ENG202 Technical Comm(TESU 2022)
COM265 Comm in a digital age (TESU 2022)
COM120 Mass Comm I (TESU 2022)
COM335 Intercultural Comm (TESU 2022)
COM330 Interpersonal Comm (TESU 2013)
COM100 Comm Theory
COM200 Writing for Media II
COM110 Writing for Media
COM210 Public Relations Thought and Practices
COM209 Public Speaking
JOU352 News Writing (TESU 2013)
MAR441 Marketing Digital and Social Media (TESU 2013)
MAR223 Advertising
MAR201 Principles of Marketing
ETH230 Ethics in a digital age (TESU 2022)
PHI286 Contemporary Ethics
PHI120 Intro to Logic
HIS101 Western Civ I (TESU 2022)
POS110 American Government (TESU 2022)
PSY234 Intro to Adolescent Psych
PSY101 Intro to Psych
BIO101 Intro to Bio (4 credits)
PHO233 Digital Photography
BUS101 Intro to Business
COS111 Intro to Programming
CAP201 Integrated software Skills
SES104 Basic Keyboarding (1 credit)
ECO111 Macroeconomics
MAT121 College Algebra I
ACC101 Principles of Financial Accounting
ACC102 Principles of Managerial Accounting

Thanks
UMPI's YourPace English degree is really more of a communications degree than English degree. Why do you want a BA in Communications from TESU and then the BA in English - Professional Communication & Journalism Concentration from UMPI? Seems like a lot of overlap. You need to apply to UMPI in order to see what credits they will accept from other schools. We know what they accept from Sophia and Study. Honestly, I'd just pick one of the 2 degrees and be done with a bachelor's. Maybe go on for a master's in communication.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • catlady, origamishuttle
Wouldn't you need another 30 credits from AFTER the award of the 1st degree or something like that to get a 2nd degree from UMPI? So, it wouldn't really make sense to do more than a couple of courses at UMPI for transfer back to TESU. They might not allow you to get the 2nd degree at all, even if you decided it was worth it to have both.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • catlady
First, since you didn't show your most current eval, I'm guessing here. But I show that you still need 19cr:
a Diversity course
Mass Comm II
Capstone
2 UL Communications electives
4cr of Free Electives

I think it would be much easier to just finish at TESU. Take your Diversity course and 4cr of free electives from Sophia for $99 for a month (I think they have a discount coupon right now, so it would be more like $75). Then do a month at Study.com ($199) and take your 2 UL COM courses (BUS 313: Organizational Communication and BUS 324: Managerial Communication are the shortest I think). Then do your capstone and Mass Comm II courses at TESU and you're done.

I also can't think why you'd want a Communications degree and then spend money on an English degree. Those are fairly similar, and you won't get the bang for your buck - so it would be a waste of money; unless there was a good reason, like you wanted to be an English teacher, in which case I would skip the Communications degree and switch to UMPI for English.

I guess I just don't see the point.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • catlady
(08-19-2022, 12:12 PM)ss20ts Wrote: UMPI's YourPace English degree is really more of a communications degree than English degree. Why do you want a BA in Communications from TESU and then the BA in English - Professional Communication & Journalism Concentration from UMPI? Seems like a lot of overlap. You need to apply to UMPI in order to see what credits they will accept from other schools. We know what they accept from Sophia and Study. Honestly, I'd just pick one of the 2 degrees and be done with a bachelor's. Maybe go on for a master's in communication.

I agree that UMPI is more of a Comm degree. I found myself looking at them because their PCJ courses are things not offered at TESU.
TESU is paid for on a pell grant, I am aware I can just stay there and finish.
I was simply hoping to take some COMM courses I'm actually interested in that UMPI has like editing.
I don't necessarily want to a BA in Comm and English but I did want those four courses.

(08-19-2022, 12:47 PM)dfrecore Wrote: First, since you didn't show your most current eval, I'm guessing here.  But I show that you still need 19cr:
a Diversity course
Mass Comm II
Capstone
4cr of Free Electives

I think it would be much easier to just finish at TESU.  Take your Diversity course and 4cr of free electives from Sophia for $99 for a month (I think they have a discount coupon right now, so it would be more like $75).  Then do a month at Study.com ($199) and take your 2 UL COM courses (BUS 313: Organizational Communication and BUS 324: Managerial Communication are the shortest I think). Then do your capstone and Mass Comm II courses at TESU and you're done.

I also can't think why you'd want a Communications degree and then spend money on an English degree.  Those are fairly similar, and you won't get the bang for your buck - so it would be a waste of money; unless there was a good reason, like you wanted to be an English teacher, in which case I would skip the Communications degree and switch to UMPI for English.

They won't give me an eval without applying.
I finish this term and need 16 - 10 in electives, 3 for capstone and 3 for mass comm.
I wasn't sure if there was a point, which is why I asked if it made sense to anyone else LOL.
UMPI accepts financial aid and Pell grants are part of financial aid packages.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • catlady
(08-19-2022, 12:37 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Wouldn't you need another 30 credits from AFTER the award of the 1st degree or something like that to get a 2nd degree from UMPI? So, it wouldn't really make sense to do more than a couple of courses at UMPI for transfer back to TESU. They might not allow you to get the 2nd degree at all, even if you decided it was worth it to have both.

A good question I don't know the answer to.
I guess I'm just stuck finishing at TESU taking stuff I have no interest in or use for. I like to learn and believe people learn better when they are interested.  
I was trying to figure out a way to keep my mental momentum going.

(08-19-2022, 02:54 PM)ss20ts Wrote: UMPI accepts financial aid and Pell grants are part of financial aid packages.

I did see that but would need 12 credits to have the full grant, which is why I found 4 courses I actually wanted. I wouldn't have enough Pell eligibility left to do a second degree, which is why in my mind I thought take the stuff I want that I could transfer, finish TESU, then do UMPI as I could afford. But I gather the plan doesn't make sense from the reaction here, which is why I asked if it did LOL
(08-19-2022, 02:52 PM)catlady Wrote:
(08-19-2022, 12:47 PM)dfrecore Wrote: First, since you didn't show your most current eval, I'm guessing here.  But I show that you still need 19cr:
a Diversity course
Mass Comm II
Capstone
4cr of Free Electives

I think it would be much easier to just finish at TESU.  Take your Diversity course and 4cr of free electives from Sophia for $99 for a month (I think they have a discount coupon right now, so it would be more like $75).  Then do a month at Study.com ($199) and take your 2 UL COM courses (BUS 313: Organizational Communication and BUS 324: Managerial Communication are the shortest I think). Then do your capstone and Mass Comm II courses at TESU and you're done.

I also can't think why you'd want a Communications degree and then spend money on an English degree.  Those are fairly similar, and you won't get the bang for your buck - so it would be a waste of money; unless there was a good reason, like you wanted to be an English teacher, in which case I would skip the Communications degree and switch to UMPI for English.

I finish this term and need 16 - 10 in electives, 3 for capstone and 3 for mass comm.
I wasn't sure if there was a point, which is why I asked if it made sense to anyone else LOL.

Who won't give you an eval without applying? TESU? Or UMPI? If TESU, I'm very confused. If UMPI, that makes sense.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
  • catlady
(08-19-2022, 03:01 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(08-19-2022, 02:52 PM)catlady Wrote:
a Diversity course
Mass Comm II
Capstone
4cr of Free Electives

Who won't give you an eval without applying? TESU? Or UMPI? If TESU, I'm very confused. If UMPI, that makes sense.

UMPI will not. I emailed Jessica asking because many of my courses didn't appear in the equivalency list and she said I'd have to apply to get an evaluation. 
I didn't want to apply if it made no sense to do so, which apparently it doesn't
That makes sense. I think dfrecore wanted to see your latest TESU eval, though, to better assist you.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
  • catlady

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I know which of my classes will transfer? mt_1994 2 79 1 hour ago
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia Scores and Transferring to UMPI colonelcamp 6 140 1 hour ago
Last Post: rachel83az
  Inquiry Regarding Equivalent Classes for Remaining UMPI Requirements hicham78h 5 227 Yesterday, 12:53 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Math GECs Sophia/UMPI colonelcamp 3 164 Yesterday, 10:07 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should I contact UMPI now or wait until I finish my GEC with Sophia then contact them JusW 3 140 04-22-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: JusW
  UMPI YourPace BLS w/ Management Minor Reference Plan valentvne 6 276 04-21-2024, 10:23 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  minimum age for UMPI students YourPace EducationSeeker 6 269 04-20-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: EducationSeeker
  Bus 150 - Sophia didn't transfer layermonkey 5 304 04-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Framed UMPI Diploma joshua27 31 6,536 04-19-2024, 03:01 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 55 5,450 04-16-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley