Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please help with a quick degree for a promotion
Hi guys, 

Hope I'm posting in the correct spot.
I have an AS in match and Sciences from a US community college and have been working as a database tech for almost two years but now need a bachelors for a promotion. My company is a subcontractor of a bigger one so doesn't/can't finance schooling which means I'm looking for the cheapest possible option and I also live in Japan so am an international student.

Literally any 4 year degree will do and from my findings so far EC's liberal studies or business degree would be the easiest to completely test out of - except for the capstone/cornerstone thing they have, am I correct in this? Also does anyone know if the Info literacy course can be taken elsewhere?

Another option I've been looking at is COSC Psychology degree but not sure if I could get away with completely testing out of that and what the exact cost would be their site is a bit confusing.

I'm willing to consider other options if anyone has a better idea of course, any and all help would be greatly appreciated  Shy
Literally, the cheapest option right now would be UMPI. You could have a degree for around $3k USD. Post what classes you've completed as part of your AS and we can help you to figure out what additional courses you would need to take to get your degree as fast and cheap as possible. You'll need to choose a degree from https://umpi.edu/yourpace to go for.

Did your AS include a science-with-a-lab? Since you live in Japan, do you speak/understand Japanese at at least a basic level? (Or any other language, for that matter.)
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(11-11-2021, 11:44 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Literally, the cheapest option right now would be UMPI. You could have a degree for around $3k USD. Post what classes you've completed as part of your AS and we can help you to figure out what additional courses you would need to take to get your degree as fast and cheap as possible. You'll need to choose a degree from https://umpi.edu/yourpace to go for.

Did your AS include a science-with-a-lab? Since you live in Japan, do you speak/understand Japanese at at least a basic level? (Or any other language, for that matter.)

Hi thanks for the reply.
My courses are as follows :
Eng comp I
Eng comp II
Public Speaking
Precalculus
Calculus I
Statistics
General Biology I +lab
General Chemistry I +lab
Calc based physics I +lab
Intro to programming in C++
Data structures C++ 
Art appreciation
History of civ
Mircoecon
Macroecon
Intro to Psychology
Intro to Soc

(I know it doesn't look like a lot but a lot of the classes were 4-5 credits each)

I speak German more or less fluently and Japanese at around a lower intermediate level I'd say

PS: would UMP allow payment plans or are their prices upfront? I tried checking their website but ...their website is oddly designed
(11-11-2021, 12:14 PM)Draconikx Wrote:
(11-11-2021, 11:44 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Literally, the cheapest option right now would be UMPI. You could have a degree for around $3k USD. Post what classes you've completed as part of your AS and we can help you to figure out what additional courses you would need to take to get your degree as fast and cheap as possible. You'll need to choose a degree from https://umpi.edu/yourpace to go for.

Hi thanks for the reply.
Eng comp I
Eng comp II
Public Speaking
Precalculus
Calculus I
Statistics
General Biology I +lab
General Chemistry I +lab
Data structures C++ 
Art appreciation
History of civ
Mircoecon
Macroecon
Intro to Psychology
Intro to Soc

(I know it doesn't look like a lot but a lot of the classes were 4-5 credits each)

I speak German more or less fluently and Japanese at around a lower intermediate level I'd say

PS: would UMP allow payment plans or are their prices upfront? I tried checking their website but ...their website is oddly designed

Are these classes from the US? If not, you will need to have your transcripts sent through WES for an evaluation which will take a few weeks. 

UMPI requires a foreign language. So if you are able to take a test where you are in either German or Japanese then you'll have that taken care off and be able to transfer it. 

UMPI does have a payment option available. You'll have to go through the process once you're admitted and discuss your payment options with financial aid. You can also pay your tuition in full before the beginning of the semester. The next semester begins in January so you've got some time to get that foreign language test and complete courses on Sophia to max out the 90 transfer credit limit.
By the way, whatever you do, do NOT fill out the contact form on the site for questions about all this; you'll talk to an "enrollment counsellor" who isn't actually familiar with how YourPace works. Everyone else at UMPI seems great, though.

So, it looks like you've got most of your GEC requirements met. Since you speak German fluently, you'd want to take an ACTFL exam for German. Just take the cheapest one (for $50 or $60, IIRC) and you'll get at least the 3 required credits. You'll probably get more, and those will go to your electives (if available).

For a business degree, check out https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-for-3-222 to see what else you could bring in from Sophia.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • ss20ts
So the one thing I can tell you w/o knowing your credits for each course is:

EC will cost roughly $4000 + any credits you need. They graduate people monthly.

TESU will cost roughly $6500 + any credits you need. Graduation will take longer. They will take your German ACTFL exam credits for both UL and LL, possibly earning your AoS coursework for a BALS in a day. This is the fastest option for someone fluent in a language.

UMPI will be fairly fast for your degree, but in this one particular case, I think TESU might be faster.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-11-2021, 12:20 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(11-11-2021, 12:14 PM)Draconikx Wrote:

Hi thanks for the reply.
Eng comp I
Eng comp II
Public Speaking
Precalculus
Calculus I
Statistics
General Biology I +lab
General Chemistry I +lab
Data structures C++ 
Art appreciation
History of civ
Mircoecon
Macroecon
Intro to Psychology
Intro to Soc

Are these classes from the US? If not, you will need to have your transcripts sent through WES for an evaluation which will take a few weeks. 

UMPI requires a foreign language. So if you are able to take a test where you are in either German or Japanese then you'll have that taken care off and be able to transfer it. 

UMPI does have a payment option available. You'll have to go through the process once you're admitted and discuss your payment options with financial aid. You can also pay your tuition in full before the beginning of the semester. The next semester begins in January so you've got some time to get that foreign language test and complete courses on Sophia to max out the 90 transfer credit limit.

These are all from a regionally accredited US college.

Just occurred to me but any chance I could get the language req waived? My native language is not English I'm from Hungary so technically I obviously speak at least two fluently.

So let me get this straight, I can transfer 90 credits in and I'd need to get 30 in two semesters to hit the 3k mark right? How hard is that 30 to get? I do have a full time job that requires 8-10 hours 5/day days a week so want to make sure that's actually a doable option for me.
You can't get the language requirement waived, but the ACTFL is literally the easiest way to meet the requirement. Pick your "favorite" non-English language and get some easy credits.

It's difficult to say without being you how hard/difficult UMPI will be for you. But I will say that the only reason that some people aren't able to finish the whole degree in 2 months is because not all classes are offered every single session. Some are only offered in session 1, others in session 2. There is at least one person who managed to get a liberal studies degree in a single 2-month session, though.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
UMPI the BLS is the quickest, although the BA Business Admin takes only 2-4 weeks longer.  Cost $2800 for two terms at UMPI, then alternative credit cost at least $300.  We had someone here on DF complete that degree in 5 months, starting from scratch. You could as well, considering you have a head start with your associate degree credits.

TESU, you could do the flat-rate tuition for $4639 + $300 graduation fees. $4939
You won't graduate till June of 2022 at the earliest, no matter how fast you finish, as they have set graduation dates.

You do already have some of the key courses for a CS science degree at TESU.  The UL CS stuff is all management classes, no coding except for the intro to database course.  The computer architecture class is a pain the ass but everything else should be easy for you

You have till Feb 1st to start TESU classes to make the June graduation deadline. You need 100 credits total to start classes. 

Purdue has a Bachelor of Science Professional Studies degree.
https://catalog.purdueglobal.edu/undergr...eeplantext

Thread talking about Purdue
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ity-Global

Cost estimates were around $4,000
https://www.purdueglobal.edu/tuition-fin...-and-fees/

Purdue, if you took the PHP cert exam + using your AS degree credits, you could get up to 75% of the degree pretty fast, likely in 1-2 months.

The downside of Purdue is we don't have any students that did this exact degree before, so there is no feedback on it. Also, classes could go slow once you enroll with Purdue.  Maybe 6-10 months to complete your degree there.

I bring up Purdue because you have technical knowledge and if you want something besides a General Studies/Business degree.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(11-11-2021, 12:38 PM)Draconikx Wrote: These are all from a regionally accredited US college.

Just occurred to me but any chance I could get the language req waived? My native language is not English I'm from Hungary so technically I obviously speak at least two fluently.

So let me get this straight, I can transfer 90 credits in and I'd need to get 30 in two semesters to hit the 3k mark right? How hard is that 30 to get? I do have a full time job that requires 8-10 hours 5/day days a week so want to make sure that's actually a doable option for me.

I have not seen anyone including international students waived from the foreign language requirement. 

What 3k mark are you referring to? I have seen many people complete their degree at UMPI in 2 terms which is 1 semester. The terms are 8 weeks long and there's 2 per semester.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Educational Degree Planning Help nhmimi 0 13 51 minutes ago
Last Post: nhmimi
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 29 367 2 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 130 10 hours ago
Last Post: curious
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 7 270 Yesterday, 12:01 AM
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,471 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,849 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 174 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 949 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
  IT Degree Options Advice theredwallflower 4 560 03-23-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: theredwallflower
  Metropolia for quick bachelor's degree to get in a master's program klicer 5 285 03-21-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: klicer