Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please help with degree plan
Hello everyone, thanks to your posts, I learned about UMPI, Sophia and other ACE course providers just this week! I'm planning to pursue the BLS Management in August and hopefully, will only have to take the required 10 courses there.

Thank you for the wiki template. I'm also hoping to receive credit for work experience when I send my resume (30 years with program/project management and information security experience--yep, I'm an older gal). This degree is a personal checkoff for me. If it could be finished by the end of the year, that would be great. Planning to devote about 25 hrs./week to it and will begin with Sophia this weekend. This process is completely new to me.

1. Should I send my cover letter and resume now--before applying? I wouldn't want to take Sophia classes that I may receive credit for. If not, I'll go ahead and tunnel through them.

2. Would you please help me with a degree plan? Here are my RA credits: 
Champlain 33 credits--(9 of which were given from leadership and IT project management certificates)
  • ENG 110 - Using Evidence From Sources: 3, A
  • ENG 111 - Critical Reading and Expository Writing 1: 3, A-
  • COMM 130 - Interpersonal Communications: 3, A
  • SOCI 110 - Interpersonal Communications: 3, A
  • ECON 205 - Microeconomics: 3,A
  • SOCI 200 - Social Justice Perspectives: 3,A
  • COMM 350 - Conflict Management: 3, A
  • PSYC 100 - Intro to Psychology: 3, A

Champlain College credits given from an IT Project Management Certificate from George Washington University and and a leadership certificate from the USDA Graduate School.
  • MGMT 260 - Project Management: 3 (I had to successfully pass all PMBOK test)
  • MGMT 210 - Managing Behavior in Organizations: 3
  • MGMT 320 - Managing Talent: 3
USDA Graduate School
  • Women in Leadership Program - 1100+ hrs. training
Moody Bible Institute - 3 credits
  • Spiritual Life and Community: 3, A
You're a very good candidate for the UMPI BLS Management and Project Management minors, especially since you can complete the 6 in courses in the Management Minor and then complete the 4 UL in the Project Management Minor to finish the 10 courses at UMPI, you can follow my spreadsheet and complete the remainder of your requirements by transferring them all in through ACE sources.

Basically, I would complete the language, science with lab course, and any missing requirements as per the spreadsheet mentioned in a previous post of mine.  The wiki has a plan for the UMPI BLS Management, if you would like to see a sample spreadsheet template, review this thread post and post #29 as well for more details https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid365771
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • cmjenx
There's no reason to send your resume before applying. You need to apply and be accepted then they'll work on credit transfers from work experience. Those credits won't count towards the 30 credits you must complete at UMPI. Others who have gone this route still had to complete 30 credits at UMPI. There are a few posts on here about it.

(05-28-2022, 01:01 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: You're a very good candidate for the UMPI BLS Management and Project Management minors, especially since you can complete the 6 in courses in the Management Minor and then complete the 4 UL in the Project Management Minor to finish the 10 courses at UMPI, you can follow my spreadsheet and complete the remainder of your requirements by transferring them all in through ACE sources.

Basically, I would complete the language, science with lab course, and any missing requirements as per the spreadsheet mentioned in a previous post of mine.  The wiki has a plan for the UMPI BLS Management, if you would like to see a sample spreadsheet template, review this thread post and post #29 as well for more details https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid365771

If one wants to complete the PM minor it is highly recommended to complete Intro to PM at UMPI because they'll use the template created in that course for BUS400 & BUS401. It'll make life much easier and the courses significantly faster. 

Both macro and micro con are required for transfer credit at UMPI because they're 1 course at UMPI. Sophia is an easy way to complete this.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • cmjenx
(05-28-2022, 01:04 PM)ss20ts Wrote: There's no reason to send your resume before applying. You need to apply and be accepted then they'll work on credit transfers from work experience. Those credits won't count towards the 30 credits you must complete at UMPI. Others who have gone this route still had to complete 30 credits at UMPI. There are a few posts on here about it.

(05-28-2022, 01:01 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: You're a very good candidate for the UMPI BLS Management and Project Management minors, especially since you can complete the 6 in courses in the Management Minor and then complete the 4 UL in the Project Management Minor to finish the 10 courses at UMPI, you can follow my spreadsheet and complete the remainder of your requirements by transferring them all in through ACE sources.

If one wants to complete the PM minor it is highly recommended to complete Intro to PM at UMPI because they'll use the template created in that course for BUS400 & BUS401. It'll make life much easier and the courses significantly faster. 

Both macro and micro con are required for transfer credit at UMPI because they're 1 course at UMPI. Sophia is an easy way to complete this.

Thank you both for taking time out of your holiday weekend to offer your advice. And thanks for the econ and PM tips!

I'm fine with taking all 30 credit requirements at UMPI. The reason for the resume is to see if I can get any credit towards my General Electives. For example, perhaps I wouldn't bother taking Intro to Technology at Sophia because I have many years of experience managing Information Technology projects. But if it's still better to take Intro to Technology at Sophia anyway because it's fast and easy, then I'll do that and take all of my electives at Sophia. 

So just to recap, I shouldn't send my resume to try to get General Electives, right?
Sophia is super fast and easy for those with experience. I wouldn't bother trying to get credits from your resume, to be honest.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • cmjenx
I am also starting with UMPI on 8/29, with 10 courses to complete for the BLS minor Management, also a personal check off for me Smile
I just recently inquired about prior learning credit and its quite involved. If you are successful in obtaining credit for each course after portfolio submission, its $150 for each 3 Unit course awarded. 
Like Rachel said, it is likely a TON easier and less expensive to just complete gen eds on Sophia. Take a look at the info I am attaching. 
https://universityofmaineatpresqueisle.f...assessment

Attached Files
.pdf   Portfolio Review Procedure.pdf (Size: 285.22 KB / Downloads: 15)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jennr2z's post:
  • cmjenx
(05-28-2022, 06:25 PM)Jennr2z Wrote: I am also starting with UMPI on 8/29, with 10 courses to complete for the BLS minor Management, also a personal check off for me Smile
I just recently inquired about prior learning credit and its quite involved. If you are successful in obtaining credit for each course after portfolio submission, its $150 for each 3 Unit course awarded. 
Like Rachel said, it is likely a TON easier and less expensive to just complete gen eds on Sophia. Take a look at the info I am attaching. 
https://universityofmaineatpresqueisle.f...assessment

You guys are WONDERFUL! I told my 83-year-old parents of your kindness. (Jennr2z, we'll be classmates Smile)

I'm gonna send my entire list of courses in a new thread with the hopes that it will help someone else. If you would check to make sure it's correct, I would sincerely appreciate it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cmjenx's post:
  • Jennr2z

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Am I on the right path for any BLS degree rme1987 11 273 Yesterday, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  Transfer and see what transfers, BEFORE starting the degree? ecdw94 8 364 03-24-2024, 01:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study Plan to Earn 30 Credits in a Single 8-week Session FM1 14 1,425 03-04-2024, 11:49 PM
Last Post: CCCollege
  Non-Degree Enrollment PreLawCoastie 0 205 03-02-2024, 06:33 PM
Last Post: PreLawCoastie
  I earned an Honors BLS Degree with Two Minors in 8 days!! basicunitoflife 34 3,286 03-01-2024, 11:48 AM
Last Post: laknight
  Help with getting a degree ASAP Talia99 3 283 02-27-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Smile BAS UMPI Degree Planning Questions Chimera 6 562 02-25-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: Chimera
  Does spain/EU accept UMPI degree? Solden81 4 429 02-21-2024, 08:30 PM
  Master's program at UMPI with an existing UoPeople BS-CS degree ecdw94 29 2,396 02-20-2024, 12:04 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  UMPI Degree Help - Bachelor of Applied Science hicham78h 13 498 02-20-2024, 04:23 AM