Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please organize my maths
Okay guys, so tonight I printed out a pdf of the TESU Bachelor's in Psych degree, and I'm check-marking the courses I've completed. It's looking good if I do say so myself. 

I'm a little lost on my math courses. I have ALEK'S College Algebra, College Algebra w/ Trig, Trigonometry, and Statistics. 

I know that College Algebra satisfies Quantitive Literacy and that Stats goes in the AOS. Can the other two both go in the Gen Electives section or do they duplicate?
You can't have the combo of College Algebra and College Algebra with Trig added to your ACE transcript (and therefore can't get credit for both). Same with College Algebra w/Trig and Trig.

So you CAN get credit for College Algebra (Quantitative Literacy), Trigonometry (not sure how it transfers), and Stats (AOS).

*Disclaimer: This is not from personal experience, but from what I've read on here and on the ALEKS and ACE sites.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(11-08-2018, 09:16 PM)katelynn Wrote: Okay guys, so tonight I printed out a pdf of the TESU Bachelor's in Psych degree, and I'm check-marking the courses I've completed. It's looking good if I do say so myself. 

I'm a little lost on my math courses. I have ALEK'S College Algebra, College Algebra w/ Trig, Trigonometry, and Statistics. 

I know that College Algebra satisfies Quantitive Literacy and that Stats goes in the AOS. Can the other two both go in the Gen Electives section or do they duplicate?

Hmm, you shouldn't have been able to get credit for College Algebra w/Trig if you had College Algebra or Trig individually. In any case, both College Algebra and Trig overlap with College Algebra w/Trig. Its possible that TESU may evaluate things differently, but you should only be able to get credit for College Algebra, Trigonometry (comes into TESU as Precalculus), and Statistics.

Any math course can be used in the GenEd Mathematics or GenEd Electives.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
I had a feeling. It was worth a shot. 

To clarify, all four of them show up on my ACE transcript. I read on the forum months ago that someone received an email denying their credit request for a duplicate ALEKS math, but that never happened for me. I don't doubt that you guys are right, so TESU will probably just disregard College Algebra w/ Trig.
College Algebra with Trig and Trigonometry would both transfer as precalculus most likely.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

It also depends on when you took the course as to what will show up on ALEKS; things have changed over the years. When I first started in 2011, you could take 9 different ALEKS courses and get them ALL onto your ACE account. None were considered overlapping. TESU would let you bring in 5 of them I think (Beg Alg, Int Alg, College Alg, Precalc, and Stats).

ALEKS has changed over the years (no more Beginning Algebra or Intermediate Algebra for credit); ACE has changed more recently (now lots of overlap and only 4 courses allowed for credit); and TESU has changed over the years (no more Beginning Algebra for anyone).

I wish ACE would have just let them all go on the transcript, and then let schools decide which ones they would and wouldn't take. I can certainly take American Government at a multitude of places and get those all put on my ACE transcript, even though they obviously duplicate, and then it's up to a school as to whether or not they will take 1, all, or some of them. So why do they try to get involved with these math courses (and lets not even talk about which ones they consider duplicates, when some clearly are and some clearly aren't). But it is what it is.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa, katelynn
(11-09-2018, 01:43 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I wish ACE would have just let them all go on the transcript, and then let schools decide which ones they would and wouldn't take.  I can certainly take American Government at a multitude of places and get those all put on my ACE transcript, even though they obviously duplicate, and then it's up to a school as to whether or not they will take 1, all, or some of them.  So why do they try to get involved with these math courses (and lets not even talk about which ones they consider duplicates, when some clearly are and some clearly aren't).  But it is what it is.

Do we know this was an ACE decision? Or is it something ALEKS setup?
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(11-09-2018, 01:43 AM)dfrecore Wrote: It also depends on when you took the course as to what will show up on ALEKS; things have changed over the years. When I first started in 2011, you could take 9 different ALEKS courses and get them ALL onto your ACE account. None were considered overlapping. TESU would let you bring in 5 of them I think (Beg Alg, Int Alg, College Alg, Precalc, and Stats).

This was my thought too, so I just went back and looked at my oldest son's ALEKS courses on his ACE transcript (2009-2013) and he completed the exact sequence as Dfrecore's 5. I'm sure that is because trig and algebra w/trig duplicated precal at that time as well. I don't think we've ever NOT had duplication - but you could for sure get them all on your transcript.

EDIT to update- this is a link to the OG thread about ALEKS when it launched as well as the duplication list. It's from 2010, so the reason I'm sharing this is to answer the question about whether or not we've ever been allowed credit for both - so, the follow up to this is if you took it in 2010, you can get 2 of the 3 without duplication - I don't even know what it is now, but like Dfrecore stated, it's about dates.
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ight=aleks

OLD OLD OLD OLD OLD **DO NOT USE******
001 Beginning Algebra- MAT102 *duplicates 3 of 6 credits for CLEP college math

002 Intermediate Algebra- MAT115

003 College Algebra- MAT121 *TESC Duplicate College Algebra w/trig
004 College Algebra with Trig- MAT121 *TESC Duplicate College Algebra

005 PreCal- MAT129 *TESC Duplicate Trig
006 Trig- MAT129 *TESC Duplicates PreCal

007 Intro Stats- STA201 *TESC Duplicates all other stats
009 Stats for Beh. Science- STA201 *TESC Duplicate all other stats
008 Business Stats- OPM351 *TESC Duplicates all other stats
OLD OLD OLD OLD OLD **DO NOT USE******
I just visited ALEKS's site tonight, and they are over-wording everything to death. If I'm reading through it correctly, it looks like we can only earn 6 credits max at this point. Is that correct?

College Algebra *or* College Algebra with Trig *or* PreCalculus *or* Trigonometry

and

Introduction to Statistics *or* Business Statistics *or* Stats for Behavioral Sciences

That is based on what they have on their site:
Students cannot receive ACE credit for both of the courses in the following combinations:

College Algebra and College Algebra with Trigonometry
College Algebra and PreCalculus
College Algebra with Trigonometry and Trigonometry
Trigonometry and PreCalculus
College Algebra with Trigonometry and PreCalculus
Introduction to Statistics and Business Statistics
Introduction to Statistics and Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences
Business Statistics and Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences
(11-15-2018, 06:24 PM)cookderosa Wrote: I just visited ALEKS's site tonight, and they are over-wording everything to death.  If I'm reading through it correctly, it looks like we can only earn 6 credits max at this point. Is that correct?

College Algebra *or* College Algebra with Trig *or* PreCalculus *or* Trigonometry

and

Introduction to Statistics *or* Business Statistics *or* Stats for Behavioral Sciences

That is based on what they have on their site:
Students cannot receive ACE credit for both of the courses in the following combinations:

College Algebra and College Algebra with Trigonometry
College Algebra and PreCalculus
College Algebra with Trigonometry and Trigonometry
Trigonometry and PreCalculus
College Algebra with Trigonometry and PreCalculus
Introduction to Statistics and Business Statistics
Introduction to Statistics and Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences
Business Statistics and Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences

There are only three current ALEKS college credit courses that do not overlap:
  • College Algebra
  • Trigonometry
  • Introduction to Statistics (or any Statistics course)
So you can earn 9 credits.

TESU evaluates them as College Algebra (MAT-121), Precalculus (MAT-129), and Principles of Statistics (STA-201).
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 6 users Like Merlin's post:
  • alab21, cookderosa, davewill, hsfamfun, jsd, Muldoon

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can someone PLEASSSE! help me organize these classes for COSC BSBA Management program keymommy2000 14 1,519 12-13-2014, 07:50 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  College maths Clepclep 1 598 02-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Last Post: happy23211
  Nice worksheet to help you organize your degree plan. JimiT20 4 1,315 01-20-2008, 06:34 PM
Last Post: Paul