Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please organize my maths
So if hubby already has ALEKS PreCalc and Statistics finished(2017) and still needs another math course-- I am at a loss?! After reading the whole thread I'm still confused if he can take College Algebra and have it NOT duplicate as Pre-Calc?! We are trying to stay with ALEKS. He is super awesome at almost all math and ALEKS makes it nice and affordable to get it out of the way.

Hubby is considering getting a dual BS now-- 1st one is BSBA and the 2nd being in Technical Studies since I just discovered he can get ACE credit for his automotive ASE's and smog courses at the CC. I think I may not survive the next year. Wink Please pray for me. LOL

Thanks in advance!
“Crazy people don't know they're crazy. I know I'm crazy, therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy?” 

― Captain Jack Sparrow
My Next Goal: Pondering Masters Program ??
Completed:  145+ Credits. Joined this forum October 2017 w/ 6 B&M Credits. Earned 117cr in 10 mo.! Graduated Sept 2019 TESU BSBA GM & ASNSM-CS
*SL 54 Cr *Shmoop 30 Cr +/- *Aleks 6 *Study.com 30+*TEEX 11 *CPCU 2 *B&M 6 
In Process:  Pondering  Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes scout2family's post:
  • cookderosa
(11-17-2018, 08:21 PM)scout2family Wrote: So if hubby already has ALEKS PreCalc and Statistics finished(2017) and still needs another math course-- I am at a loss?! After reading the whole thread I'm still confused if he can take College Algebra and have it NOT duplicate as Pre-Calc?! We are trying to stay with ALEKS. He is super awesome at almost all math and ALEKS makes it nice and affordable to get it out of the way.

Hubby is considering getting a dual BS now-- 1st one is BSBA and the 2nd being in Technical Studies since I just discovered he can get ACE credit for his automotive ASE's and smog courses at the CC. I think I may not survive the next year. Wink Please pray for me. LOL

Thanks in advance!

If he has already completed Precalc with ALEKS, per the rules he will not be able to get credit for any other math course, as their Precalculus course overlaps with both College Algebra and Trigonometry according to ALEKS.

If he hasn't submitted Precalc to ACE for credit, he can try to take College Algebra and Trigonometry instead and just not transfer Precalculus. Alternatively, he could take the other two courses and ask ACE for credit. ALEKS or ACE may reject it, or not. If they do, he can always ask them to remove Precalculus and use the other two instead. Though I don't know if they can/will do that.

If none of the above work, he should just look elsewhere. Assuming you're looking at TESU, ALEKS Precalculus comes in as MAT-129 (Precalculus) so you can take College Algebra (or just about any other math course) anywhere else.

For example:
  • Saylor Academy's College Algebra works fine and is free, you just pay $25 for the proctored final.
  • StraighterLine's College Algebra would work, but more expensive. It should be taken along with other courses
  • At Study.com he'd need to take Math 105 (Precalculus Algebra) since Math 101 (College Algebra) comes in as Intermediate Algebra at TESU last I saw. This is also more expensive but should be taken along with other courses.
Hopefully that helps. Smile
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(11-17-2018, 09:37 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(11-17-2018, 08:21 PM)scout2family Wrote: So if hubby already has ALEKS PreCalc and Statistics finished(2017) and still needs another math course-- I am at a loss?! After reading the whole thread I'm still confused if he can take College Algebra and have it NOT duplicate as Pre-Calc?! We are trying to stay with ALEKS. He is super awesome at almost all math and ALEKS makes it nice and affordable to get it out of the way.

Thanks in advance!

If he has already completed Precalc with ALEKS, per the rules he will not be able to get credit for any other math course, as their Precalculus course overlaps with both College Algebra and Trigonometry according to ALEKS.

If he hasn't submitted Precalc to ACE for credit, he can try to take College Algebra and Trigonometry instead and just not transfer Precalculus. Alternatively, he could take the other two courses and ask ACE for credit. ALEKS or ACE may reject it, or not. If they do, he can always ask them to remove Precalculus and use the other two instead. Though I don't know if they can/will do that.

If none of the above work, he should just look elsewhere. Assuming you're looking at TESU, ALEKS Precalculus comes in as MAT-129 (Precalculus) so you can take College Algebra (or just about any other math course) anywhere else.

For example:
  • Saylor Academy's College Algebra works fine and is free, you just pay $25 for the proctored final.
  • StraighterLine's College Algebra would work, but more expensive. It should be taken along with other courses
  • At Study.com he'd need to take Math 105 (Precalculus Algebra) since Math 101 (College Algebra) comes in as Intermediate Algebra at TESU last I saw. This is also more expensive but should be taken along with other courses.
Hopefully that helps. Smile

Also a freebie option is CLEP College Algebra if he wouldn't mind doing the Modern States (it's self paced) then he could use the voucher and it wouldn't cost anything!
If he wanted several math courses, he could do Study.com, get MAT 101: College Algebra (MAT-115), MAT 102: College Mathematics (MAT-102), MAT 105: Precalculus Algebra (MAT-121, 4cr), GEOM 101: Intro to Geometry (MAT-260), and MAT 104: Calculus (MAT-231, 6cr). If he did more than 2 in the month, then each successive final exam would cost $70.

If he wanted free, he could go with CLEP's College Algebra and College Math. If he wanted convenient, then Saylor's MA001: College Algebra is his best bet ($25).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Dont forget discrete math..its a good course...
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(11-17-2018, 09:37 PM)Merlin Wrote: If he has already completed Precalc with ALEKS, per the rules he will not be able to get credit for any other math course, as their Precalculus course overlaps with both College Algebra and Trigonometry according to ALEKS.

Thanks Merlin! I knew I wasn't losing my marbles... yet. Hubby completed Pre-Calc and Stats and had it transferred to ACE immediately summer 2017. Sounds like he'll just use Saylor for College Algebra since it won't require actual coursework. He works too much to arrange and travel for a CLEP and he likes the convenience of testing from our home office. Luckily Saylor fits the bill for this specific course.

(11-18-2018, 04:37 PM)dfrecore Wrote: If he wanted several math courses, he could do Study.com, get MAT 101: College Algebra (MAT-115), MAT 102: College Mathematics (MAT-102), MAT 105: Precalculus Algebra (MAT-121, 4cr), GEOM 101: Intro to Geometry (MAT-260), and MAT 104: Calculus (MAT-231, 6cr).  If he did more than 2 in the month, then each successive final exam would cost $70.

If he wanted free, he could go with CLEP's College Algebra and College Math.  If he wanted convenient, then Saylor's MA001: College Algebra is his best bet ($25).

Thank you for this info dfrecore! He may continue with more math and he is currently utilizing Study.com- so we may go that route for more math once I get his new degree plan put together. **sigh** I'm not familiar with BSTS AT ALL. I'll start another thread for help with this. Wink 

For now he'll go with Saylor to knock out College Math since he likes the convenience of testing from his desk.

(11-18-2018, 04:45 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: Dont forget discrete math..its a good course...

Where did you take your Discrete Math course at? I'm not familiar with Discrete Math... I'll add it to my To-Do List to research.
“Crazy people don't know they're crazy. I know I'm crazy, therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy?” 

― Captain Jack Sparrow
Completed:  145+ Credits. Joined this forum October 2017 w/ 6 B&M Credits. Earned 117cr in 10 mo.! Graduated Sept 2019 TESU BSBA GM & ASNSM-CS
Armstrong used Study.com for Discrete Math (as did I). I personally didn't like the course that much, but it wasn't particularly hard.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(11-18-2018, 05:03 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: Armstrong used Study.com for Discrete Math (as did I). I personally didn't like the course that much, but it wasn't particularly hard.

I read her signature and figured it out AFTER I posted. LOL I'm on Study.com rn checking it out. Thank you!

― Captain Jack Sparrow

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can someone PLEASSSE! help me organize these classes for COSC BSBA Management program keymommy2000 14 1,514 12-13-2014, 07:50 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  College maths Clepclep 1 596 02-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Last Post: happy23211
  Nice worksheet to help you organize your degree plan. JimiT20 4 1,315 01-20-2008, 06:34 PM
Last Post: Paul