Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post Degree Blues
So.... for the past several years, I have spent every free moment that wasn't dedicated to kids, husband, or work to study. At first that was generally in the form of CLEP/DSST and then it evolved into MBA assignments. I was DYING for the day that I would finish, but now that it's come and gone, I feel a bit lost. I had this insurmountable goal that I didn't actually believe would ever end and now it's over and I don't know what to do next! Yes, I have thought of a few ideas, including starting up French classes, but there is nothing that I can think of that's as tangible as a degree. (I am working on the French btw, but it doesn't satisfy my need for concrete and measurable goals)

I may end up doing another CLEP undergrad if my DH wants me to do one with him, but I don't really need it. I also briefly and halfheartedly considered a PhD program, but I'm not overly interested in it from either a personal or a professional perspective. In my field, I don't see an advantage of having anything beyond a masters degree, so there would not likely be an ROI on any further education I obtain and it would not help me climb the corporate ladder in any way.

My question is, has anyone else here felt like this? If so, what did you do next? Yes, I know the obvious answer is "enjoy life," but I really like having a major goal on the horizon to keep me motivated. I felt this way a few years ago when the goal was to run a marathon. I took an entire year and dedicated myself to training, increasing distance, and increasing my fitness, and enjoyed it quite a bit until the moment I crossed the finish line. HA HA HA - how terrible!!! I love the drive and excitement involved with working towards a goal, but don't allow myself the time to sit back and relax. Just looking for the next step....

Any thoughts or ideas? FYI, my job is in international business and I love my career so wouldn't mind finding something that would enhance my marketability, but also would consider another "difficult" goal as something to replace the study hobby. Darn it! Sometimes I really love being a crazy type-A personality, but it can definitely be a curse and that's how I feel right now.

Thanks!!
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
You sound like Marianne! http://www.degreeforum.net/off-topic/166...-i-do.html

Will you take the French CLEP? Try this site, too: Français interactif

It's okay to take a real break. I know that I am enjoying mine. Try to find a few "small" things to enjoy for a while, while you look for the next "big" thing.

Be sure to keep us updated, too!
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Yes I went through that exact same feeling. I at least had a little goal to reach in finishing the requirements to be able to teach in NJ. Then just about the time I finished that and was getting board again my husband got the job up here in NY and I had the goal of packing up 28 years of memories. Now I am settled into my new home and found out I can't teach here and I feel lost. I know I need a goal and I haven't found it yet. I have small goals like finding a job up here(but I only do that half hearted), and I have started the task of going through all the old pictures and making a scrapbook for each of my children (that gives me the most pleasure). But I have days like today when I feel lost and the need for a bigger goal.

I'm sorry if I am not being helpful, but I am trying to say is find that new big goal and get started on it, otherwise you get that lost feeling, you need a sense of direction. If I had any good ideas I would try them myself, so if you come up with one let me know.

But the main thing is you are not the only one who feels that way.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Thanks so much... very nice to hear that I'm not alone in feeling like this. LOL I really hope to come up with a good idea!!!! Maybe the French CLEP wouldn't be a bad mini-goal.... we'll see if I end up needing the credits. Smile
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
burbuja0512 Wrote:So.... for the past several years, I have spent every free moment that wasn't dedicated to kids, husband, or work to study. At first that was generally in the form of CLEP/DSST and then it evolved into MBA assignments. I was DYING for the day that I would finish, but now that it's come and gone, I feel a bit lost. I had this insurmountable goal that I didn't actually believe would ever end and now it's over and I don't know what to do next! Yes, I have thought of a few ideas, including starting up French classes, but there is nothing that I can think of that's as tangible as a degree. (I am working on the French btw, but it doesn't satisfy my need for concrete and measurable goals)

I may end up doing another CLEP undergrad if my DH wants me to do one with him, but I don't really need it. I also briefly and halfheartedly considered a PhD program, but I'm not overly interested in it from either a personal or a professional perspective. In my field, I don't see an advantage of having anything beyond a masters degree, so there would not likely be an ROI on any further education I obtain and it would not help me climb the corporate ladder in any way.

My question is, has anyone else here felt like this? If so, what did you do next? Yes, I know the obvious answer is "enjoy life," but I really like having a major goal on the horizon to keep me motivated. I felt this way a few years ago when the goal was to run a marathon. I took an entire year and dedicated myself to training, increasing distance, and increasing my fitness, and enjoyed it quite a bit until the moment I crossed the finish line. HA HA HA - how terrible!!! I love the drive and excitement involved with working towards a goal, but don't allow myself the time to sit back and relax. Just looking for the next step....

Any thoughts or ideas? FYI, my job is in international business and I love my career so wouldn't mind finding something that would enhance my marketability, but also would consider another "difficult" goal as something to replace the study hobby. Darn it! Sometimes I really love being a crazy type-A personality, but it can definitely be a curse and that's how I feel right now.

Thanks!!

Yes. Yes. Oh, and yes. Finally, yes. You could write a book? :p
cookderosa Wrote:Yes. Yes. Oh, and yes. Finally, yes. You could write a book? :p

hmmm... writing a book sounds familiar somehow. Wink

I have actually thought of a project that might take up my time... but first I have to determine how unique it is. It's a site in Spanish that teaches English in small, bite-sized lessons (think Khan Academy) to Spanish speakers regardless of their literacy levels. So... it could be good for people who live in the US that need lessons but aren't experts at grammar. Or, could be used by students from all over the Spanish-speaking world who need a supplement to their existing classes. The initial lessons would have quite a bit of explanation in Spanish, and the higher levels would be primarily in English.

The whole idea behind is, other than the obvious Sal Khan inspiration, is that when I lived in Mexico, I was paid top dollar by parents of spoiled rich kids who wanted a native speaker. There are plenty of native speakers in the US that teach English, but are unable to communicate with their students. While I fully believe that higher-level courses should be taught in English only, I think that for basic levels, significant explanation in the native language are required to understand basic concepts...

Anyhow.. with all that in mind,I will send the link to my VERY rough draft website to anyone who sends me a PM. Since it's got my name and picture all over it, I don't want to directly put it here, but I would love feedback on the idea.

I think it may be my next big project unless I can find something else "out there" that is just like my idea. So far I haven't..
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
burbuja0512 Wrote:hmmm... writing a book sounds familiar somehow. Wink

I have actually thought of a project that might take up my time... but first I have to determine how unique it is. It's a site in Spanish that teaches English in small, bite-sized lessons (think Khan Academy) to Spanish speakers regardless of their literacy levels. So... it could be good for people who live in the US that need lessons but aren't experts at grammar. Or, could be used by students from all over the Spanish-speaking world who need a supplement to their existing classes. The initial lessons would have quite a bit of explanation in Spanish, and the higher levels would be primarily in English.

The whole idea behind is, other than the obvious Sal Khan inspiration, is that when I lived in Mexico, I was paid top dollar by parents of spoiled rich kids who wanted a native speaker. There are plenty of native speakers in the US that teach English, but are unable to communicate with their students. While I fully believe that higher-level courses should be taught in English only, I think that for basic levels, significant explanation in the native language are required to understand basic concepts...

Anyhow.. with all that in mind,I will send the link to my VERY rough draft website to anyone who sends me a PM. Since it's got my name and picture all over it, I don't want to directly put it here, but I would love feedback on the idea.

I think it may be my next big project unless I can find something else "out there" that is just like my idea. So far I haven't..

You know, if you put in a good amount of work on the site, you could pitch it to Sal Khan as an addition to his site. Then you would have all of the exposure/help/funding you could ask for. I just say that because I know Khan Academy has been branching out into other types of videos and subjects in the past few years.

Either way it sounds like a great idea to me, and something that's worthy of your efforts and fun at the same time. Should take care of those blues, at any rate. Smile
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
The English idea sounds great!

Just a thought... With all the business experience you have, have you thought about either taking on some specialized volunteer work in the non-profit sector? Agencies that work with transitioning women, at-risk youth and teen girls in particular are often really jazzed if they can get someone like you to come in and talk about their career and how they got to be where they are. I bet theyd love to hear about the non-traditionally attained degrees. For something tangible/measurable , If youre looking for a hefty project maybe design and help implement a series of workshops on interviewing, key business skills, etc. Or maybe offer help with budgeting or funding to a small NGO? Or teaching entrepreneurship skills to Spanish speaking immigrants?

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Edited because Im not a good phone typist.
[COLOR="#000080"]You are certainly not alone in feeling this way. When I completed by BS I opted to go get my first Masters and flew through that at warp speed completing all of the assignments inside of 6-months but had to wait until the official "9-month" for the degree to arrive. Inside that time span I opted to continue to climb the educational ladder by turning it upside down and go get an AS, again within just a few short months. Having this one behind me I still felt compelled to go onward and I went ahead and entered an MBA program; this one took me around 8-months. Four degrees down inside of 2-years I opted yet again to seek out a Doctorate, a decision that I am currently struggling with. banghead

Anyway, in the end, you are not alone and may wish to pursue something else, so long as you don't find yourself (like me) banging your head on a brickwall! :iagree:
[/COLOR]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
OpenRoot Wrote:The English idea sounds great!

Just a thought... With all the business experience you have, have you thought about either taking on some specialized volunteer work in the non-profit sector? Agencies that work with transitioning women, at-risk youth and teen girls in particular are often really jazzed if they can get someone like you to come in and talk about their career and how they got to be where they are. I bet theyd love to hear about the non-traditionally attained degrees. For something tangible/measurable , If youre looking for a hefty project maybe design and help implement a series of workshops on interviewing, key business skills, etc. Or maybe offer help with budgeting or funding to a small NGO? Or teaching entrepreneurship skills to Spanish speaking immigrants?

I like these ideas.. I have mentored a few different women who were interested in learning more about business over the past couple of years, so this could be interesting.

Thanks for the encouragement to all!!!
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Post formatting settings ? Chimera 2 349 03-19-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Abide University Honorary Doctors Degree bjcheung77 0 542 07-07-2023, 02:17 PM
  TEFL opportunities without a degree Personherebb9 3 490 06-11-2023, 03:09 AM
  for those who have a math degree - is your job math related ? bluebooger 0 529 03-22-2022, 11:42 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  How has getting a degree from the Big Three (and others) changed your career or life? schristian10 3 929 01-21-2022, 09:43 AM
Last Post: williammosher
  Dr. Amy Cuddy 8 years for 1 degree ashkir 3 950 07-11-2021, 01:56 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  For Sale: Post Graduate University bjcheung77 5 1,100 05-30-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Degree Forgery Alpha 8 1,568 04-28-2021, 05:16 PM
  Operation Varsity Blues Alpha 1 465 03-17-2021, 03:18 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  History of Degree "Hacking" collegehacked 8 2,672 07-13-2020, 09:48 AM
Last Post: collegehacked