Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potatoloco Degree Journey Blog
Potatoloco Wrote:Had an adventure with the testing center this morning. Went to take the test and the proctor couldn't get the computer to access the DSST exam after I drove 30 minutes and watched her for 30 minutes trying to access the exam. So I got to drive 30 minutes back home and wait until the afternoon to take it. Finally got back up there and got to take it.

Principles of Supervision was an odd test. It took me about 25 minutes total and I passed with a 433. I ended up not studying for it at all and just went with the overlap from Management. I think it's entirely possible to take both tests together. Some of it did seem tricky. There were a few times at least 2 answers seemed to be the right one. At the end of the day, I just went with my first instinct and moved on with no second guessing.

So at the end of 2 months I have 18 credits down. Looking back and getting exact timelines I have 15 credits in exactly 5 weeks. I'm going to make a slight adjustment to my timeline. Will wait until March 11th to take another DSST. Hopefully in the mean time I'll finish up Macro before this Sunday.

18 credits in 2 months!! Great job!!

I'm also glad you mentioned that you took Supervision cold. As you can see on my signature, I will still need a few random credits to graduate that I was planning on taking through FEMA's. Since I've taken Management and Org. Behavior, I am thinking that I should probably just go take Supervision and see what happens. Maybe run through the IC cards once or twice? Since I HAVE to take ECE Labor Relations, I'll do that first, but once that's over, I'll have several ways to obtain my last few credits.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
burbuja0512 Wrote:18 credits in 2 months!! Great job!!

I'm also glad you mentioned that you took Supervision cold. As you can see on my signature, I will still need a few random credits to graduate that I was planning on taking through FEMA's. Since I've taken Management and Org. Behavior, I am thinking that I should probably just go take Supervision and see what happens. Maybe run through the IC cards once or twice? Since I HAVE to take ECE Labor Relations, I'll do that first, but once that's over, I'll have several ways to obtain my last few credits.

Thank burbuja! I'm glad I decided to bust tail out of the gate. I feel much more confident as I get deeper into the journey.

I looked back on the IC cards for Supervision after the test and honestly unless you feel you really need a refresher, they're not needed. Can probably get away with a quick refresher on freeprepclep or whatever the site is called.

I found it to be much easier overall than Management. Since you've already passed Management and Behavior, this will be a breeze for you. It was pretty much the same exact concepts as Management with a slight twist here and there. Probably what Coke Zero is to Coke....Smile
Ever had one of those days where you're stressed out all day long and really don't have anything to stress out about? That was my day yesterday. For whatever reason it seemed like I didn't have enough to get anything done school wise, even though I did get 2 Macro tests in on straighterline. I think it's mainly because I really want to take the HR DSST this Friday, but I'm not sure if I'll be properly prepared for it. I got a couple of hours of studying in today and I feel like I have the concepts down fairly decent. I'll probably make the decision in the morning whether or not to schedule something Friday.

On a side note I did catch American Idol last night and it was painful. I'm sure they all have their basic talents, but I don't see any of the men becoming stars. Except maybe the country guy. Here's looking forward to X Factor with Simon.
Quick update. Didn't get a chance to take my HR exam this past Friday. My 1 year was running temp all weekend. Felt bad for the poor guy. The goal is to take it this Friday. Have gotten through a chunk of Macro on straighterline. I think I have maybe 7 more tests to go. There's A LOT of tests and they are definately getting more difficult. Most tests were taking me 45 minutes, but the past two have approached the 1:20 mark and I've scored my two lowest scores so far on both of them. Hopefully this isn't a beginning trend......
Potatoloco Wrote:Quick update. Didn't get a chance to take my HR exam this past Friday. My 1 year was running temp all weekend. Felt bad for the poor guy. The goal is to take it this Friday. Have gotten through a chunk of Macro on straighterline. I think I have maybe 7 more tests to go. There's A LOT of tests and they are definately getting more difficult. Most tests were taking me 45 minutes, but the past two have approached the 1:20 mark and I've scored my two lowest scores so far on both of them. Hopefully this isn't a beginning trend......

No! It's not a trend.. it just varies from exam to exam. I was about halfway through my testing when I failed CLEP Macro. It took me a few to want to get back into testing, but happy to say that I still did well on all my other tests after that. Just make sure to study hard on each one and you'll be fine!

About your kiddo... I think it's going around. This past week, my 1, 3, and 15 year old kids all had it. Yikes.. 1 year old DD's temperature got up to 104.7! :eek: It's so hard to get things done with sick kids!
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
burbuja0512 Wrote:No! It's not a trend.. it just varies from exam to exam. I was about halfway through my testing when I failed CLEP Macro. It took me a few to want to get back into testing, but happy to say that I still did well on all my other tests after that. Just make sure to study hard on each one and you'll be fine!

About your kiddo... I think it's going around. This past week, my 1, 3, and 15 year old kids all had it. Yikes.. 1 year old DD's temperature got up to 104.7! :eek: It's so hard to get things done with sick kids!

Yeah, it does get crazy at times. My wife came home early from work because of being sick. Blah......just one of those weeks. Hopefully it doesn't hit me. But it has slowed down my studies a little bit. Still getting 2 Macro tests in per day, but DSST test keeps getting put on the backburner. Decided to re-schedule my DSST for Monday morning. I should get a good 6-9 hours of studying in this weekend, which is more than enough at this point. Now it's just actually sitting and passin' the dadgum thing.
Hopefully all the sick germs will get out of the house and you'll be on track by Monday! Good luck with the test!
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
After a couple of year hiatus I am back to finish off my degree. Figured since it was my original blog I'd just bump this one back up and keep it going.

Alright cliff notes on what has happened past two years. I didn't finish my degree in the timeline I wanted to, but a lot has happened. I ended up accepting a position related to my past business around July/August 2011 and I've been there ever sense. I've still slowly ticked towards my degree, but have stalled over the past year. I managed to get around 40+ credit hours completed during the spring and summer of 2011. As a result I've parked myself somewhere around the 20 hour range of completing a BA in Social Sciences from TESC for the past year. Got the itch to finish off the degree. Haven't enrolled, but doing all my tests that I can possibly can and then enrolling prior to the July switch of Gen Ed. requirements.
Don't feel bad about the lost time- I stalled for a year due to job stress that consumed my brain 24/7. Got the word in Jan. that I would be able to transfer to new job (just started this week after 3 month delay) and that gave me enough of a boost to FINALLY take and pass Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union, and to knock out the TEEX computer security classes. Plan to take Technical Writing DSST on Monday, then on to Money and Banking. Home stretch (6 or 7 more tests/classes) is in sight. When I came back I found more free/low cost credit options that weren't here when I stopped. If money is an issue (and when is it not?) check out the free TEEX courses, and now Saylor has some tests approved for credit (always assuming they fit into your degree plan).
"The only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize!" Clairee in "Steel Magnolias"
BA General Studies COSC 5/31/15
COSC Cornerstone A 10/2013, Capstone A 11/2014
UExel- Social Psych A, Psych of A and A- A, Research Methods/Psych B, Pathophysiology A.
FEMA- 27, NFA-Q118, Q 534, Q137 and Q318
Clep- 2008 Humanities 75, 2009 Intro Sociology 67, US History I 69, US History II 61, American Lit. 71, Analyze & Int. Lit. 75, 2011 Western Civ. ll 58, Social Science 67
DSST-2010 HTYH 463, Ethics in America 433, Sub. Abuse 444, 2011 Art of the Western World 67, Civil War and Recon. 58, Org. Behavior 64, 2010 Env. and Humanity 68, Hist. of the Vietnam War 76, 2011 Intro World Religions 451, 2013 Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union 62, Technical Writing 60, Business Ethics and Society 449.
TEEX- 2013 Cyber Security classes x 3
DACC and IU: Speech, Psych, Rhetoric, Creative Writing
Sorry- should have said Saylor has "courses" not "tests". Would they were tests- I'm taking a stab at Western Pol. Thought in my spare moments...Plato? Really?
"The only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize!" Clairee in "Steel Magnolias"
BA General Studies COSC 5/31/15
COSC Cornerstone A 10/2013, Capstone A 11/2014
UExel- Social Psych A, Psych of A and A- A, Research Methods/Psych B, Pathophysiology A.
FEMA- 27, NFA-Q118, Q 534, Q137 and Q318
Clep- 2008 Humanities 75, 2009 Intro Sociology 67, US History I 69, US History II 61, American Lit. 71, Analyze & Int. Lit. 75, 2011 Western Civ. ll 58, Social Science 67
DSST-2010 HTYH 463, Ethics in America 433, Sub. Abuse 444, 2011 Art of the Western World 67, Civil War and Recon. 58, Org. Behavior 64, 2010 Env. and Humanity 68, Hist. of the Vietnam War 76, 2011 Intro World Religions 451, 2013 Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union 62, Technical Writing 60, Business Ethics and Society 449.
TEEX- 2013 Cyber Security classes x 3
DACC and IU: Speech, Psych, Rhetoric, Creative Writing

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abide University Honorary Doctors Degree bjcheung77 0 574 07-07-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TEFL opportunities without a degree Personherebb9 3 508 06-11-2023, 03:09 AM
  for those who have a math degree - is your job math related ? bluebooger 0 538 03-22-2022, 11:42 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  How has getting a degree from the Big Three (and others) changed your career or life? schristian10 3 944 01-21-2022, 09:43 AM
Last Post: williammosher
  Dr. Amy Cuddy 8 years for 1 degree ashkir 3 967 07-11-2021, 01:56 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Degree Forgery Alpha 8 1,614 04-28-2021, 05:16 PM
  History of Degree "Hacking" collegehacked 8 2,752 07-13-2020, 09:48 AM
Last Post: collegehacked
  Excelsior Graduate earns Master's degree. Oh yeah, she's 14 MNomadic 7 1,666 06-17-2020, 02:51 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  For Sale: Southeastern US Bachelor Degree Granting College bjcheung77 6 1,997 06-04-2020, 10:03 AM
Last Post: lillingworth
  How has your degree improved your life? kevinmane 21 6,459 03-12-2020, 04:27 AM
Last Post: Zo_ey