Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pre-Game UMPI
I am registered for classes starting on Oct 24th at UMPI. I am doing what I think is the Orientation class (title IX training) as it's available now, but the other classes are not available yet. I am enrolled in HUM103 and BUS200. Does anyone have a pre-class suggestions, or better yet know what I can read or rough drafts to write that the courses require... I don't know what to do for the next 30 days before classes start.
There's nothing to do until your classes open on the first day of the term. Nothing to read or write. All of the reading is on the learning platform.
OK, guess I was hoping there was some stuff you could do to prepare like this guy did for WGU - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0l1RQFhv_4
An activity that would be beneficial is to confirm you have done all the transfer courses available for your degree. Thirty days is plenty of time to knock out some courses (if needed) at Sophia. For example, if you are not transferring Biology & Lab courses, you can knock out the course at Study.com and since you get two courses per month, knock out an upper-level course as well. Do you have a language course that you are transferring? If not, I would encourage you, if your skill level is solid, to secure those credits through ACTFL language. If you don't have high exposure to a second language, you can do Spanish 1 at Sophia, which can be finished in a month for someone new to Spanish.

Again, 30 days is plenty of time to get a lot of courses done that will support your overall goal to 'get ahead,' as demonstrated in the video.
Virginia University of Lynchburg Doctorate of Healthcare Administration 
Universidad Isabel I / ENEB MBA & Master in Big Data and Business Intelligence, summa cum laude
University of Presque Isle BABA Management and Leadership, magna cum lauda
RANSOMSOUL
[-] The following 2 users Like KSoul's post:
  • arrakis, Pikachu
(09-29-2022, 01:09 PM)uncoolbilly Wrote: I am registered for classes starting on Oct 24th at UMPI. I am doing what I think is the Orientation class (title IX training) as it's available now, but the other classes are not available yet. I am enrolled in HUM103 and BUS200. Does anyone have a pre-class suggestions, or better yet know what I can read or rough drafts to write that the courses require... I don't know what to do for the next 30 days before classes start.

I was in a similar holding pattern for a similar amount of time. As suggested above, and if you get approval from Jessica, you can work on some other classes on Sophia or SDC. I found this a very good use of my time. This doesn't apply, of course, if you have exactly 30 credits left to complete your degree. But even if you have 33, doing one more class in advance of starting at UMPI might help allay the waiting jitters. (I ended up transferring in an additional 18 credits and, if it weren't for the residency requirement, would have only needed to do nine classes at UMPI.)
Weird, hmm... I thought the minimum would be 10 courses or 30 credits. Did they allow you to only take the nine classes at UMPI and be done, or did you have to add an extra class to make that 10 to make the residency requirement?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
You are correct on the minimum 10 upper-level courses that will be needed to complete your degree. Regardless of the number of credits your transfer in, that won't change the requirement count.
Virginia University of Lynchburg Doctorate of Healthcare Administration 
Universidad Isabel I / ENEB MBA & Master in Big Data and Business Intelligence, summa cum laude
University of Presque Isle BABA Management and Leadership, magna cum lauda
RANSOMSOUL
(09-29-2022, 11:44 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Weird, hmm... I thought the minimum would be 10 courses or 30 credits.  Did they allow you to only take the nine classes at UMPI and be done, or did you have to add an extra class to make that 10 to make the residency requirement?

Oh, no, I still had to do 30 credits to fulfill the residency requirement. In my case, that was nine classes because I did a six-credit Independent Study course, but the 30-credit requirement still applied, and I ended up completing 42 credits, anyway, because I still had a few weeks left in my second term after I finished the requirements and figured I might as well get in as much coursework as I could manage. 

Short answer: I still had to do 30 credits to meet the residency requirements.
I'm over the residency requirement already, I had PCJ215 marked as a needed class, but didn't realize UMPI accepted a transfer from my RA for the requirement. I assume I'll have to take an alternative course to meet residency. I have interest in maybe doing the masters program (or on from somewhere else) so maybe those classes could play a role.

I thought maybe the classes standardized and I could work on a project that's required or do some reading that would be needed. I tend to convert required reading to an audio format for listening in my car as my commute to work is an hour each way.

Here is a list of what I still need.

ORIENTATION
HUM 103
BUS 200
BUS 244
BUS 321
BUS 335
BUS 440
BUS 469
BUS 489
MAT 140
Orientation takes like an hour and doesn't have any credit. While your transcripts will show more than 90 credits, you'll still need to complete at least 30 credits at UMPI.

Classes are somewhat standardized as there's the reading content which varies in length, the quizzes - there are 2 types of quizzes, some classes have Milestones, and then there's the Final Assessment which is different for every class. You can't work on the Final assessment until you've read the course content. You need that for the assignment. All of the reading is in the leaning platform. Do you have software to convert the course content into audio files?
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • Pikachu, uncoolbilly

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is a philosophy minor possible at UMPI? LevelUP 8 164 04-26-2024, 11:34 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Sophia Scores and Transferring to UMPI colonelcamp 7 322 04-25-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Inquiry Regarding Equivalent Classes for Remaining UMPI Requirements hicham78h 5 284 04-24-2024, 12:53 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Math GECs Sophia/UMPI colonelcamp 3 210 04-24-2024, 10:07 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should I contact UMPI now or wait until I finish my GEC with Sophia then contact them JusW 3 190 04-22-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: JusW
  UMPI YourPace BLS w/ Management Minor Reference Plan valentvne 6 352 04-21-2024, 10:23 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  minimum age for UMPI students YourPace EducationSeeker 6 316 04-20-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: EducationSeeker
  Framed UMPI Diploma joshua27 31 6,681 04-19-2024, 03:01 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 55 5,540 04-16-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  UMPI BLS MISM VS Pierport then UMPI BAS k681 11 510 04-16-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Hotdogman1