Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Preparing for the Physical Science DSST
I need some graded credits, and the Physical Science I DSST can fulfil my needs for graded credits and natural sciences credits. However, I am not sure of how to distribute my revision efforts, and of whether I should focus on breadth or depth of knowledge.

The feedback forum is quite desolate for this test, so I thought I would just ask here to see if any recent test takers can comment about the test's difficulty or style. The fact sheet's sample questions are ridiculously easy, which has made me distrust those as an indicator of what to expect, because the 3-4 feedback messages I have read indicate that the test is a monster.

I have a good background in Newtonian physics, but chemistry is the main reason for which I am scared. I took chemistry up to university level, but that was a long time ago and I now fear the equations. Even though I more or less know how to use them, I cannot remember any of them. If the exam is equation-intensive, I will have to start memorizing.

To summarize, any comments regarding the test's complexity will be useful.
Silvus,

I took this exam and know I got quite a few wrong but still did well enough for an A equivalent grade. This exam is scored on the old method and you can get a lot wrong and still pass.

Most of the test revolved around formulas. You don't need advanced physics study material. If you can find a book with Physics broken down in lehmans terms, you'll do fine. I used a physical science book from the library and I also viewed a great program on MIT open courseware called Physics for Future Presidents. The professor was entertaining, used hands on examples and explained the formulas for non-physics majors. If you have the time, I highly recommend you view those videos.

The tough part of this exam is the chemistry portion. I would go over cliffs notes, memorize a few key facts, get as many right as you can and write this portion as a loss and concentrate on the physics portion (unless of course, you are well versed in chemistry).
silvis Wrote:I need some graded credits, and the Physical Science I DSST can fulfil my needs for graded credits and natural sciences credits. However, I am not sure of how to distribute my revision efforts, and of whether I should focus on breadth or depth of knowledge.

The feedback forum is quite desolate for this test, so I thought I would just ask here to see if any recent test takers can comment about the test's difficulty or style. The fact sheet's sample questions are ridiculously easy, which has made me distrust those as an indicator of what to expect, because the 3-4 feedback messages I have read indicate that the test is a monster.

I have a good background in Newtonian physics, but chemistry is the main reason for which I am scared. I took chemistry up to university level, but that was a long time ago and I now fear the equations. Even though I more or less know how to use them, I cannot remember any of them. If the exam is equation-intensive, I will have to start memorizing.

To summarize, any comments regarding the test's complexity will be useful.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Great; thank you very much for the information. I was really scared about having to get many answers right in order to get a good score--I hardly remember the different element and compound valencies--, so it is good to know that the exam is not scored too harshly.

Since I can more or less survive with the physics, I will focus my study on the chemistry Cliff's notes. Those sound like a useful and easy to learn resource.
Cliff's Notes are excellent. Just remember the chemistry questions aren't like who invented the periodic table but more like; 3p,2s,3p is the valence of what element (made up at the top of my head).

I obviously am not good in chemistry so i concentrated on learning physics. But since you already know physics, that you are probably correct that getting chemistry down pact is a good strategy.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 216 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 178 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  Offspring and Descendents Lead Singers On Why They Got Science PhDs Jonathan Whatley 9 1,204 02-16-2024, 10:37 PM
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 510 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 381 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  So long, computer science — Chaos Studies is the hot new college degree LevelUP 9 1,163 10-15-2023, 11:14 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
Information Coursera Bachelor of Science in Computer Science for $4k! nomaduser 19 3,881 09-16-2023, 06:32 PM
  UMPI YourPace Computer Science ashkir 99 18,852 09-07-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Science pre-reqs with No Proctor MeangreenMBA 2 599 06-23-2023, 01:33 PM
  LSU Online Computer Science JO37992 2 748 03-22-2023, 11:16 AM
Last Post: davewill