Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
President Obama Getting Nobel Peace Prize
I'm just curious as to what the great minds on this forum thought about our illustrious leader being awarded such a prestigious award. He is in truly great company:

Winners of the Nobel Peace Prize

A junior Senator from the state of Illinois, one year into his presidency, has done so much to further peace in the world...its crystal clear as to why he be declared the winner. I wonder what the the previous winners feel about this? I mean, how can Doctors Without Borders, Nelson Mandela and Mother Theresa hold a candle to what he has done?
[SIZE="2"]Associates Degree, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Bachelors of Science, Liberal Studies Degree, Excelsior [/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]MBA Human Resource Management, California Coast University[/SIZE]
The man has incredible aura, doesn't he? I knew he was destined for greatness when I voted for him. Next up, Man of the Year.

See, everyone needed to give him a little time to get his groove on
:]
Basket Weaver Wrote:I wonder what the the previous winners feel about this? I mean, how can Doctors Without Borders, Nelson Mandela and Mother Theresa hold a candle to what he has done?
...hahaha

I just wonder how it went down, you know? Amidst all the people, did Kayne West interrupt the Nobel Foundation to say Obama deserved it more?
Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.
[Shakespeare]

I'm shooting for a BA in Communications through TESC. Sitting at 81 credits, I hope to be finished by summer 2011. Please message me for input or questions :] I'm open to help- both giving and receiving!
Exams: College Mathematics - A&I Lit - English Comp w/ Essay - U.S. History I - Macroeconomics - Microeconomics - Sociology - Intro to Computing - Technical Writing - Psychology - Educational Psychology - English Literature - Principles of Management - Principles of Marketing - Natural Sciences - Principles of Supervision - Personal Finance - Substance Abuse - Human Growth & Development - Public Speaking
On Board: American Gov - U.S. History II - American Lit
I wish they could have waited until he had at least completed one term -- until he had done something...other than be himself (which is not adequate in my perspective). The past legislative session has been hardly anything worth mentioning, much less praised. And there's not much President Obama's done outside that except make speeches and promises. (I think -- if he has done something else, fill me in. I haven't been keeping up with the news as well as I have in the past.)

Point is, the award would have been more believable after a couple years. At this point, one wonders if the Nobel Prize people are trying to tell Obama something. I know some people believe that he's being discouraged from taking any further action in Afghanistan, let alone Iraq.

Anyway, it's all very interesting.
[SIZE="1"]American Government (68) ~ Analyzing & Interpreting Literature (70) ~ Art of the Western World (72) ~ Astronomy (66) ~ ENG407: Chaucer (A) ~ Civil War & Reconstruction (69) ~ College Algebra (62) ~ College Mathematics (73) ~ College Writing (A) ~ English Composition with Essay (59) ~ GRE Literature in English (610/73%tile) ~ Humanities (75) ~ Introduction to Business (62) ~ Introduction to Computing (459) ~ Introduction to Educational Psychology (72) ~ Introduction to World Religions (478) ~ Introductory Psychology (74) ~ Money & Banking (48) ~ Research & Writing (A) ~ Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union (68) ~ ENG 310: Short Stories (A) ~ Introductory Sociology (77) ~ Social Sciences & History (76) ~ Technical Writing (67) ~ US History I (69) ~ US History II (64) ~ Western Civilization I (76) ~ Western Civilization II (65) Western Europe Since 1945 (65) ~ Exam Feedback

Total Credits: 121 ~ DONE: Literature in English BA from Excelsior College[/SIZE]
What is very interesting about this is he actually won the prize after ONLY 12 days in office! Tongue

I think if he had actually done something to deserve it that would be fine... but so far he hasn't done much, except put us in a billion dollar deficit.

Next up, the Grammy's going to the home video's on Youtube... Smile
I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it ~Voltaire~

114 college credits and counting thanks to CollegePlus! and IC!!!
Waiting for the completion of his first term would've been ideal, but hey, he did break a number of racial/international barriers when he won the presidency. I think it's not only great for America, but for the world.

Rhashad Hicks
Liberty University, DBA
starting 02/2023

Western Governors University, MBA
Organization & Strategy 2013
Educational Design 2021

TESC Bachelors (18 Months)
American History 2011

CLEP
English Comp w/essay | A & I literature | American Government | Prin. of Management | Prin. of Marketing | Intro to computers | Business Law | Intro to Sociology | Psychology | social sciences & history | U.S. History I | U.S. History II | Human Growth & Dev. | Educational Psych | Microeconomics | Macroeconomics

DANTES
Civil War & Recon. | Technical Writing | Prin. of Supervision | History of Vietnam | Organizational Behavior | Substance abuse | Management Info Systems | Intro to Business | Principles of Counseling | Modern Middle East

ALEKS
Beg. Algebra | Intermediate Algebra | Pre-Calculus | Business Statistics

STRAIGHTERLINE
Accounting I | Accounting II
Seriously, nobody on here probably ever gave a crap about who won and now, all of a sudden, we got the Nobel play by play going on. If nothing else, Obama attracted attention to the prize. In all reality, certain conservatives on here would never approve of the man winning anything, nothing, regardless of what he does. They want to see failure, plain and simple. Heck, you just saw 8 yrs of it, musta gotten used to it. Your probably sorry we didn't invade N. Korea or Iran over the nuke issue. Guess our troops aren't battle tested enough.
Gary Wrote:Seriously, nobody on here probably ever gave a crap about who won and now, all of a sudden, we got the Nobel play by play going on. If nothing else, Obama attracted attention to the prize. In all reality, certain conservatives on here would never approve of the man winning anything, nothing, regardless of what he does. They want to see failure, plain and simple. Heck, you just saw 8 yrs of it, musta gotten used to it. Your probably sorry we didn't invade N. Korea or Iran over the nuke issue. Guess our troops aren't battle tested enough.

It has never been awarded to a sitting U.S. President before; thus the current buzz. I would love to see President Obama, or to have seen President Bush and any future President for that matter, winning more prizes, such as the "lowering the debt" prize, and the "stop spending money we don't have" prize, "adding stiffer penalties for fraud, waste, and abuse in government with actual enforcement" prize, "holding politicians accountable for tax evasion" prize, "adding term limits to congress" prize, etc. I'd love to see him and our other leaders in government start winning more prizes like those...

The only thing bi-partisan in the last 8+ years has been extreme spending. I miss President Clinton; at least he tried to do something about our debt. He was more of a conservative than Bush 2! There are no conservatives, or liberals for that matter, in Washington; just career-minded power-loving folks trying to get re-elected at the expense of you and I. Man, I sound really cynical; don't I?
M.S. University of Wisconsin-Platteville In Progress
M.S. University of Maryland University College 2011
B.S. Southern Illinois University, Carbondale 2008

CLEP's passed:
College Mathematics
English Composition (w/o essay)
Information Systems and Computer Applications
Natural Sciences
Social Sciences and History

DSST's passed:
Ethics in America

General Anthropology
Gary Wrote:Seriously, nobody on here probably ever gave a crap about who won and now, all of a sudden, we got the Nobel play by play going on. If nothing else, Obama attracted attention to the prize. In all reality, certain conservatives on here would never approve of the man winning anything, nothing, regardless of what he does. They want to see failure, plain and simple.
You're absolutely right, Gary! No one would have noticed if it hadn't been given to someone so visible.

It's also true that some conservatives will never approve of Obama or what he does regardless. The temptation for many people to wish the leaders of the opposite team a failure must be very great. I know someone who said, "I hope that Obama is a great president. I just don't expect it."

jaer57 Wrote:I would love to see President Obama, or to have seen President Bush and any future President for that matter, winning more prizes, such as the "lowering the debt" prize, and the "stop spending money we don't have" prize, "adding stiffer penalties for fraud, waste, and abuse in government with actual enforcement" prize, "holding politicians accountable for tax evasion" prize, "adding term limits to congress" prize, etc. I'd love to see him and our other leaders in government start winning more prizes like those...
Haha. I don't see our president winning any of those prizes, though one can certainly hope.
[SIZE="1"]American Government (68) ~ Analyzing & Interpreting Literature (70) ~ Art of the Western World (72) ~ Astronomy (66) ~ ENG407: Chaucer (A) ~ Civil War & Reconstruction (69) ~ College Algebra (62) ~ College Mathematics (73) ~ College Writing (A) ~ English Composition with Essay (59) ~ GRE Literature in English (610/73%tile) ~ Humanities (75) ~ Introduction to Business (62) ~ Introduction to Computing (459) ~ Introduction to Educational Psychology (72) ~ Introduction to World Religions (478) ~ Introductory Psychology (74) ~ Money & Banking (48) ~ Research & Writing (A) ~ Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union (68) ~ ENG 310: Short Stories (A) ~ Introductory Sociology (77) ~ Social Sciences & History (76) ~ Technical Writing (67) ~ US History I (69) ~ US History II (64) ~ Western Civilization I (76) ~ Western Civilization II (65) Western Europe Since 1945 (65) ~ Exam Feedback

Total Credits: 121 ~ DONE: Literature in English BA from Excelsior College[/SIZE]
Yes, I will agree w/that. Something has to be done to stimulate the economy and as much as I hate to see debt on top of debt, I know there's people out there craving for a job. The situation got out of control and now extreme measures have to be taken, ones that none of us wants or likes. But for the conservatives on here to have amnesia about the last 8 yrs and now place the blame squarely on the President's back is flat out bull. Can you imagine the world of deep crap we would be in right now if we had McCain/Palin. Well, actually McCain and someone, she would have high-tailed out by now and on to the book tour and lecture circuit. That to me is a very, very, scary thought. Hell, we could be in North Korea by now. We could be all over the globe w/an economy relying on the military to keep us floating while McCain finished reading Greenspan's book.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DOJ says that Biden can't even remember when he was vice president LevelUP 5 548 02-10-2024, 10:14 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  2022 Nobel Prize Alpha 0 330 10-10-2022, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  U of Michigan removes School President bjcheung77 0 569 01-15-2022, 09:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Haiti President Assassinated! OMG! bjcheung77 6 1,022 07-09-2021, 05:57 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Liberty U out a president Sparklette 9 1,616 08-13-2020, 02:20 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Peace Corps MrBossmanJr 2 872 12-24-2019, 03:42 PM
Last Post: MrBossmanJr
  American University Student Body President Wins Lawsuit sanantone 1 1,058 10-06-2019, 04:47 PM
Last Post: ChilliDawg
  Purdue University President remarks at 2019 commencement on today' Snowflake students Life Long Learning 2 1,235 05-29-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: MSK9
  Big 3 Grad meets President of.... burbuja0512 6 1,806 03-30-2019, 07:03 AM
Last Post: burbuja0512
  President James Garfield's education Ideas 1 1,091 03-18-2018, 12:22 AM
Last Post: dfrecore