Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Private Messages
I have replied to 2 different people this week via private message, and both times it didn't go through because the user has their private message option either not set up or blocked.

If you're messaging someone, be sure you can RECEIVE messages too!
Hi.
Does anyone know of other free online Gen-Ed alternatives to the TEEX courses? I could make sense of Cybersecurity 101 because it addresses common themes like child protection on the net etc. Cyber 201 is just too much a struggle- too many technical terms that sound like Greek and Latin to me. I do not have so much technical knowledge about computers and I find it a waste of my energy to pursue this, even if it offered open book tests.
(09-13-2018, 02:33 AM)Supermind Wrote: Hi.
Does anyone know of other free online Gen-Ed alternatives to the TEEX courses? I could make sense of Cybersecurity 101 because it addresses common themes like child protection on the net etc. Cyber 201 is just too much a struggle- too many technical terms that sound like Greek and Latin to me. I do not have so much technical knowledge about computers and I find it a waste of my energy to pursue this, even if it offered open book tests.

FYI, a topic on private messaging isn't really the proper place for this discussion, but that being said...

As you've discovered, just because a course is free doesn't mean it will be easy, or that everyone needs to take it. You're not alone in not really grokking the content of the TEEX course materials... many others have voiced similar concerns. However, if you're taking them for GenEd purposes, you're barking up the wrong tree (at least at TESU anyway). As far as I know, only one of the TEEX credits fall into GenEd (Cyber 201, which comes in as CIS-244 @ TESU), the others are applied science (CAP-295 and CYB-120) and will end up as free electives if you don't apply them to a CS or CIS related AOS.

As for the best selection of free GenEd courses, take a look at OnlineDegree and Saylor Academy. Both offer free courses, the only thing you pay for is proctoring.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
I will echo that this is a question not appropriate for this thread.

However, I am currently taking the cyber security course through online degree. I took all 3 Teex cyber course. I agree that cyber 101 is good and appropriate for most anyone but the other 2 are far too technical and boring for the majority of people(I was just particularly stubborn for no particular reason). The onlinedegree cyber security course is MUCH more interesting and approachable than some of the TEEX courses but it is still rather technical at times.

A disclaimer: we still have no idea what onlinedegree cyber security will transfer to tesu as. It may come in as criminal justice or it may overlap with Teex cyber 101. I'm just taking it because I want to and don't mind paying $9 for a course that may not contribute to my degree.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Although, supermind, I believe you are in India, right now. Onlinedegree is not currently available internationally yet.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Supermind, you sent me a private message regarding my post above. But, unfortunately, I cannot respond since your account is set to disallow private messages. I find this a bit ironic considering that is precisely what this thread was created to address. Smile

If you enable private messaging in your forum settings, I'd be happy to respond to your questions.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 2 users Like Merlin's post:
  • dfrecore, Muldoon
(09-13-2018, 04:55 AM)Merlin Wrote: Supermind, you sent me a private message regarding my post above. But, unfortunately, I cannot respond since your account is set to disallow private messages. I find this a bit ironic considering that is precisely what this thread was created to address. Smile

If you enable private messaging in your forum settings, I'd be happy to respond to your questions.

I am sorry about that. Just this morning, someone else pointed out to me that I need to enable my PMs. I did that. I am slowly trying to understand the rules and modes of functioning here.
(09-13-2018, 04:55 AM)Merlin Wrote: Supermind, you sent me a private message regarding my post above. But, unfortunately, I cannot respond since your account is set to disallow private messages. I find this a bit ironic considering that is precisely what this thread was created to address. Smile

Now THIS is something Alanis Morisette could have sung about, instead of the things she chose that weren't ironic at all!! Tragic yes, ironic no.  Big Grin
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • allvia
(09-14-2018, 12:37 AM)dfrecore Wrote:

Now THIS is something Alanis Morisette could have sung about, instead of the things she chose that weren't ironic at all!! Tragic yes, ironic no.  Big Grin

But maybe Alanis was going meta. A song about irony with no irony... isn’t it ironic?
[-] The following 3 users Like kietro's post:
  • allvia, dfrecore, Tedium

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I add a signature line to my messages? tsgreer 5 719 02-27-2023, 11:22 PM
Last Post: WhoaSis
  Global Private Tutoring Alpha 1 454 11-01-2021, 02:48 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  WASC Accredited Western U.S. Private University For Sale bjcheung77 6 1,652 07-22-2020, 01:27 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Admin Info-Help Private Forum Access mrobinson 4 1,034 05-26-2013, 11:55 AM
Last Post: ShotoJuku