Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ProctorU testing in the Summer of 16
Hi!

I'm new here, and not an expert on college by any metric.

One of the things I wanted to know about was the 'proctored final' many of the courses require. I read but never found anything new or substantive.

I just completed my second ProctorU final, and wanted to share my experience as a way to give back to the degreeforum.net / Instantcert community. It is not authoritative, final, or complete, and I get nothing from proctoru, df.net or IC in return for it.

First thing I did was create an account at proctorU. No real trouble there. You need to submit to their automated system checks to see if your computer and network are minimally acceptable. (Mine was).

Come test time, mine wasn't. So, I blew a testing period, which is hard for me to come by meeting their terms.

So:
  • You want a fairly fast computer. Laptop or desktop doesn't matter. I did both on a 2.3Ghz 3 gig ram ancient laptop. It was stuttery and aggravating, but it worked.

• You need a minimum of Vista to participate. You can pass the checks with XP Pro SP3, but they will deny you at test time. (Vista>Win7>Win8>Win10) No XP. (I can't advise about mac.)

• You need administrator rights on the computer you will use, because they require you download and activate a piece of software (called an 'applet') in order to test. If you can't authorize that, you cannot test. (you will know if you have 'elevated privileges' if you get that 'do you want to allow this to happen box', and you can successfully click yes. Work computers and college ones may not allow you).

THEY WILL HAVE UNFETTERED, UNMONITORED ACCESS TO THE TEST COMPUTER.
I have some stuff I don't want them poking through or copying, so I dusted off an old laptop and set it up for this. I am not casting aspersions towards the fine people of proctorU, I just don't trust anybody. So I use a computer that has no personal or work information on it, and I don't have to worry.
Edit: Maybe. See further in the thread for some discussion of permissions.
  • You need a working camera and a microphone.
    Some inexpensive and corporate machines don't have these features. Mine didn't. SO I used a $4 plug in webcam I got at goodwill.
  • You need high speed internet.
    You will basically be conducting a video conferencing session PLUS a chat session PLUS a testing via web browser session. So, if your youtubes is choppy, or you are still on dialup (hey, I know a bunch), you gotta get faster. I did mine using my phone's data plan as a tether. It's bad choppy, but they let me two times now.
  • You need to be alone.
    Self explanatory.
  • You need to be in a quiet room.
    Also self explanatory. I was concerned, because the room I use is cluttered with things on the walls, and stuff piled up. Maybe I got two lenient proctors, maybe I met standards. Best to start a help desk session and let one of them bless your test space BEFORE trying to spin up for an actual test - that's what I did.
  • No TV, radio, iMusic, whatever.
  • No phone use.
    Don't even pick it up - they will flunk you. Put it on silent.
  • Nothing else can be happening on your computer.
    They will go in and observe your task list, click through any webpages or items or things you have open and shut all of it down. Only their stuff can be running, so no weatherbug, no spotify, etc. They also search to see if you have a cloned monitor. I don't know why.

Next thing I did was sign up for some VIP program, the name of which escapes me (I'm going by memory here, folks). I paid a small amount of money, allowed them to take a shot of my face, and my drivers' license, and gave them a typing test.

In return, that gave me access to queue for tests instantly. It is well worth it, in my opinion, and I am a cheap bastard.
I think it is called "take it now", and you must register in the ProctorU system for it.

TEST DAY:

I fired up the testing computer, connected to my phone tether (no highspeed available in my community), logged into Straighterline, navigated to the card for the test I wanted to take, and flipped it. I selected two things; in one tab I went into the course, and navigated to the page where you click the button to take the final exam (last step before pushing the button and beginning the test).

They don't seem to know SL per se, so you need to find your test for them. I now have mine already up, so no lost time.

In the original tab, I selected 'start proctoring session'.

From there, I forget. I basically selected 'take test now', and selected a few things to make that happen. I had to pay an $8 fee. Fine. It triggered my cards fraud detection. Fine. :coolgleam: Too easy, can't stop me, right??

You will land on a proctorU screen. My testputer is set up to autolog me into SL and to PU. You may have to log in.

It directs you to download the applet (something resqme remote desktop something something, sorry). KNOW where your stuff downloads to. I had to dig for mine.

Start that applet.
I had trouble. I had to right click the program, select properties, unblock it, click on the next tab (i think), select run all as administrator, and then I could start it. I also had to fight with either flash or defender, I forget, to allow it.

This program is basically a tool used by help desks to allow them to 'remote into' your computer so they can fix it from whereever they live. In addition to popping up a text box for you to talk to them (chat window), they, once you approve it via a popup, can then move your mouse, type words in like they were on your keyboard, poke around looking for test answers and recording software, etc. etc.

(as an aside, this kind of software is perverted by hackers to hack your computer. I am NOT NOT NOT saying this is what they are doing - I am helping those that have less knowledge understand how hackers can do stuff.)

Be sure your test area is well lit. Not to help you, but if the camera image is dark, I think they don't like it.

When they begin, they want to see your ID. Hold it up close and steady. They take a picture of it. Then, they want to see your computer. If you have an add on camera, pick it up and show them. If yours is fixed, get a big mirror, I suppose.

Then they want to see all four walls and the floor where your feet are, ostensibly looking for helpers with cue cards. Don't have them. (shrugs)

For me, because I'm in their program, I had to verify some info, then they presented me with a few questions. I never ever told them any of that. Those questions are exactly like the ones I answer when getting my free credit score. I don't know how they get those questions, I don't recall giving them access to anything (but, I'm sure it was in the fine print somewhere), and I don't like it, but.... (shrugs)

When I pass that, then it's test time.

They punch in the password for the test, then I take it.

When I am done, I get back in the chat window an say 'I'm done!'
They say ok, click (whatever ends the test).
Mine grades it immediately, and they let me review it. I can't save it like I do the chapter tests, or take notes, which bugs me because I like to go back and see for myself. Oh well.

Then, I have to close all the straighterline stuff out.

Once they are positive I've done all that, then we part ways.

That's it.

I know they are watching me, but I don't see their faces because they maximize the test window. They don't talk to me, actually they told me to take my headset off. They didn't bug me. In fact, through the entire process, they were pretty much ok with me. I was honestly expecting a little boot camp and customs agent behavior.

Nope, they were nice and helpful, and always asked before they did stuff on/to my computer.

WHEW

Well, that's it.

I won't say it's a pleasant experience. But compared to prometric testing (very, very intrusive, very very regimented), and classroom testing (not so bad, honestly), testing at home is swell, lol! Wink

Maybe my next time will be bad, but honestly, I don't have any qualms about using P.U. for my distance education credit harvesting needs.

Hope this helps someone who is considering this route. For me, it is well, WELL worth it!
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

Good writeup, but...

High_Order1 Wrote:THEY WILL HAVE UNFETTERED, UNMONITORED ACCESS TO THE TEST COMPUTER.

Not really. They can see whatever you see on your desktop, and they can use your mouse and keyboard. But anything they're doing on your computer, you can monitor. They don't have any access on the backend, and can't really do anything sneaky without you noticing. If they tried to open anything or snoop around, you would see it on your desktop.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
This is what their site says:

Quote:Will the proctor be able to access my personal computer files and documents without my knowledge?
No, ProctorU cannot access your computer files without your knowledge. With permission from the test taker, proctors have the ability to view the screen and move the mouse and keyboard as if he or she were sitting next to the test taker. Once the test starts, the proctor will monitor everything but can no longer move the test taker's mouse and keyboard. During the entire process, a chat box is running on the test taker’s computer, and they can see what permissions the proctor currently has at any time. The entire chat session log is saved, and there is a permanent record of what actions the proctor took while accessing the test taker's computer.

However, I vaguely (and will look better, next time) that when you are allowing permissions, they are more open than that. I could be wrong, and don't want to misinform, but I... don't know. What ports are they opening? Can they telnet in? Could they extend the desktop to a local monitor so you can't see? Does starting the applet also start a p2p sharing connection?

Too many I don't knows, and grey areas for me. I don't process classified on this system, but I do handle sensitive, and I simply don't trust a lot of stuff. (shrugs)

I know they were making changes that affected my computers' cpu usage. I tried to watch the commands she was issuing in the chat window, but couldn't keep up and test at the same time.

I'll try to edit to reflect this viewpoint.
Angel 
Three Rivers CC 2017

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

link

High_Order1 Wrote:What ports are they opening? Can they telnet in? Could they extend the desktop to a local monitor so you can't see? Does starting the applet also start a p2p sharing connection?

Too many I don't knows, and grey areas for me. I don't process classified on this system, but I do handle sensitive, and I simply don't trust a lot of stuff. (shrugs)

They're essentially using a modified version of GoToMeeting, it's not opening additional ports or allowing them to "telnet in." There's no file sharing. They get a livefeed of your desktop, and have access to your mouse/keyboard. Your CPCU usage is high because of the direct, live video they're sending constantly, and a bloated chat window.

Monitor the activity/traffic on your network next time. You won't find anything that could lead to anything potentially nefarious.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

jsd Wrote:They're essentially using a modified version of GoToMeeting, it's not opening additional ports or allowing them to "telnet in." There's no file sharing. They get a livefeed of your desktop, and have access to your mouse/keyboard. Your CPCU usage is high because of the direct, live video they're sending constantly, and a bloated chat window.

Monitor the activity/traffic on your network next time. You won't find anything that could lead to anything potentially nefarious.

I think you're confusing ProctorU with Examity. ProctorU uses LogMeIn's LogMeIn Rescue, whereas Examity uses Citrix's GoToMeeting.
Nixi Wrote:ProctorU uses LogMeIn's LogMeIn Rescue

Yeah!
That was the name.
Odd, I couldn't get it to work from the desktop. It would flash connecting, then disconnecting. It would only start from /downloads. (shrugs)
Angel 
Three Rivers CC 2017

link

Nixi Wrote:I think you're confusing ProctorU with Examity. ProctorU uses LogMeIn's LogMeIn Rescue, whereas Examity uses Citrix's GoToMeeting.

He may have just gotten them mixed up. LogMeIn Rescue is no more "capable" than gotomeeting when it comes to doing things behind your back. They cannot do anything with it that you can't see. If they ever did, or even tried, it would sink their reputation and thus the entire company instantly.
TESU BSBA/GenMgmt, Graduation approved for March 2017
CR Sources: 75cr(StraighterLine), 15cr(Saylor), 6cr(ALEKS), 6cr(Kaplan, TESU), 12cr(PF), 6cr(CLEP)
I was actually just using GoToMeeting as a common example that people would likely be familiar with. I didn't mean to imply they were literally using GoToMeeting.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

I know why they won't allow a cloned monitor, they're afraid that someone else will be able to read the test questions and relay answers to you...of course you could use some sort of external splitter they can't detect...
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Recently, I took a SL test, and they let me watch them watch me the whole time.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ProctorU moving to new 'Guardian Browser' system jch 4 2,201 05-17-2023, 04:04 PM
Last Post: jch
  Free Summer or Free Fall ideas? creationstory 13 1,833 06-02-2022, 08:33 PM
Last Post: ylmir
  Daemen & Total Testing Alpha 6 902 02-16-2022, 11:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  ProctorU to Become Meazure Learning eriehiker 6 1,147 10-04-2021, 04:28 PM
Last Post: ctcarl
  Coopersmith Testing Question tls7291 5 1,071 07-10-2021, 01:38 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Friends U: $125 c/h Summer Courses eriehiker 2 858 04-06-2021, 09:47 AM
Last Post: asianphd
  ProctorU TwinMom 15 2,223 03-22-2021, 01:23 PM
Last Post: TwinMom
  need to find credits by testing like Clep - but Clep is not available where I live - esh 3 1,234 01-31-2021, 07:49 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  ProctorU data breach jch 8 1,837 08-30-2020, 06:32 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  ProctorU Premium Fee Issues ctcarl 2 1,333 05-04-2020, 05:00 PM
Last Post: ctcarl