Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ProctorU - what happens if your internet disconnects during an exam?
Question 
I don't have a wired internet connection (older house), just a mobile one.

If I get disconnected during the exam, does the testing software automatically kick you out?  Or can you re-connect and pick up where you left off?
(09-06-2018, 10:07 PM)Kelly Green Wrote: I don't have a wired internet connection (older house), just a mobile one.

If I get disconnected during the exam, does the testing software automatically kick you out?  Or can you re-connect and pick up where you left off?

This has never happened to me, but my best guess is that since you're connected to a live proctor when using ProctorU, chances are you'll be kicked out since your camera feed will stop. You'd have to call in to get things reestablished most likely. Assuming they allow you to pick up afterward. It may also depend on how long it is out... just a few seconds would probably not be a big deal, but a few minutes likely would.

FYI, I've heard horror stories about people where their computer crashed in the middle of a proctoring session and they weren't allowed to continue. They had to talk to the provider to reset it, which took a couple days. That does make some sense though since while your camera is out there is no way for the proctor to know if you looked up answers in the book or something.

With Remote Proctor (Study.com), I once had my laptop go into standby due to low power in the middle of a final exam and I was able to plug it back in and get powered back up within 30 seconds or so (was supposed to be plugged in, the kid had pulled the power cable earlier and I didn't notice it -- so it was right there) and I was able to pick up where I left off without incident. But RPnow doesn't stream the video to a live proctor, it gets stored locally and then sent across so it's a different system.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • Kelly Green
Hi Merlin - THANK YOU! That is great info and I'm going to seriously consider the pen/paper version of the TECEP! I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to concentrate on the exam questions if I were constantly worried about tech issues!
I had this happen ONE TIME out of the 15 or 16 Proctor U sessions that I have taken.

If I recall, I had to get ahold of Straighterline, have them reset the testing session, and I rescheduled the exam. No charge, just delay.
Western Governor's University
MSCSIA - Completed 2020.  Program completed in 8 months.
Cybersecurity Scholarship Recipient
Thomas Edison State University
B.A.L.S 2019 
ASNSM - Computer Science - 2018 
Pierpont College
Board of Governor's AAS, AOE Information Systems - 2017

[-] The following 1 user Likes ChilliDawg's post:
  • Kelly Green
On one of my exams, when I finished the exam and went to submit it, it timed me out of the straighterline website.

When I logged back in, it showed the exam was still in progress and ProctorU said it had been successfully submitted (don't know how).
After another hour or so it completed, I guess because of the time limit. Worried me at first.
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
[-] The following 1 user Likes zzzz24's post:
  • Kelly Green

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,255 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  ProctorU moving to new 'Guardian Browser' system jch 4 2,201 05-17-2023, 04:04 PM
Last Post: jch
  BIO-208 TECEP exam yellowshehulk 2 951 04-30-2023, 05:46 PM
Last Post: WHOASIS1
  SPECIFIC EXAM FEEDBACK SECTION….. ShotoJuku 1 672 04-01-2023, 10:19 PM
Last Post: katsoulis
  Intel’s 12th Gen CPU can’t handle the Bar exam bluebooger 3 912 07-16-2022, 12:19 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  DSST Exam online gams007 3 1,179 11-23-2021, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NoStudentNoCry
  The World's Hardest Exam Alpha 4 1,413 10-07-2021, 08:47 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  ProctorU to Become Meazure Learning eriehiker 6 1,147 10-04-2021, 04:28 PM
Last Post: ctcarl
  Passed the CISSP Exam jamshid666 5 1,864 09-27-2021, 01:58 PM
Last Post: jamshid666
  Passed the CHFI Exam jamshid666 9 1,520 07-17-2021, 06:40 PM
Last Post: jamshid666