Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Propero/Pearson courses
I found this website that has some courses folks might be interested in: Propero

Apparently they are ACE-approved and are self-paced like Penn Foster courses. The cost is $299 each.

Click under "How It Works" and it doesn't appear that the final exam for each course is proctored, or at least that's not mentioned. Someone might want to check on this to be sure if they need these courses. If they really aren't proctored than this may give folks another option instead of Straighterline or Penn Foster for these subjects at least. Yet even if they are proctored, they could still be an option in some circumstances.
BA in History, TESC, Graduated September 2010
MA in History, American Public University, currently pursuing
Virginia teaching license, currently pursuing

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

My BA History degree plan.
IrishJohn Wrote:I found this website that has some courses folks might be interested in: Propero

Apparently they are ACE-approved and are self-paced like Penn Foster courses. The cost is $299 each.

Click under "How It Works" and it doesn't appear that the final exam for each course is proctored, or at least that's not mentioned. Someone might want to check on this to be sure if they need these courses. If they really aren't proctored than this may give folks another option instead of Straighterline or Penn Foster for these subjects at least. Yet even if they are proctored, they could still be an option in some circumstances.

This is very interesting. I tried to contact Pearson via their live chat to find out more about the courses. Unfortunately, it looks like they have no clue! For some courses I would much rather take a course like this than trying CLEP or DSST. I thought straighterline was the way to go, but I really don't want to deal with the proctoring. I hope that Propero is sort of like ALEKS where it moves on as you understand topics.

If anyone takes one of these courses I am interested in what their feedback is.
Degrees:
Associate: Pikes Peak Community College - Associate of General Studies 2012
Bachelors: Thomas Edison State College - BSBA (General Management) 2013 ~ Arnold Fletcher Award Recipient
Link to Degree Plan
MBA: Patten University - Master of Business Administration - Information Technology 2017
I've added Propero to Degree Forum Wiki for future reference.

Sources of Credit - Degree Forum Wiki

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

Did a little searching on Propero after seeing this thread, as I love the idea of more options for credit... Especially alternatives to Straighterline.

found this interesting article on their webpage explaining why SL is "better" LOL
An Alternative to Propero- StraighterLine online courses - StraighterLine

Ironically they also have similar articles about many others, claiming they are of course better, which I'm not really familiar with or if these competitors actually offer any ACE or NCCRS approved courses now.

Coursera
An Alternative to Coursera - StraighterLine online courses - StraighterLine

Udemy
An Alternative to Udemy- StraighterLine online courses - StraighterLine

Edx
An Alternative to edX - StraighterLine online college courses - StraighterLine

Udacity
An Alternative to Udacity- StraighterLine online courses - StraighterLine
Well if Propero doesn't have proctors finals than that makes them better than SL in my view. Even if they do, Propero is another alternative students may want to explore. As for the others, SL is better since their courses are eligible for college credit. Yet with Coursera seeking ACE approval for some of their courses, as Saylor has done through NCCRS, this will change dramatically. It'll be even worse for SL if edX, Udemy, etc follow suit. Smile

Propero offers a lot of courses that aren't offered by Straighterline, especially in the area of criminal justice. My pet peeve is when start ups start by offering courses that are already offered by someone else or can be easily tested out of with CLEP or something else.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I agree, the more options the better. But it's alot more helpful if they are new courses we might not find from other sources.

However, taking cost out of the consideration... it would be interesting to know how the difficulty compares on some of the overlapped courses that Propero offers with say Straighterline or Penn Foster. It seems like the amount of quizzes and practice tests could be quite time consuming, and unless I'm missing it, I haven't seen anything confirming their proctor policy.

What happens if I fail my course?
Hopefully with the resources available, this will not happen; however, in the event you fail your course, you may retake it again, as many times as you would like, but you are required to pay fees.

What is the difference between a quiz practice, a graded quiz, a practice test, a test, and a graded exam?
In a Propero course, you have the following:
After each lesson, you have a quiz practice and a quiz. The practice quiz is not calculated into your grade, and you can take a practice quiz up to 5 different times. Each time, a new practice quiz is generated. You must pass with an 80% or higher before being allowed to take the quiz. The quiz consists of 15 items, is timed, and can only be taken once.
After lessons, 3, 6, 9 and 12, there is a practice test and a test in addition to the practice quiz and quiz. Each practice test and test covers the previous three week’s lessons and is cumulative in nature. The practice test is not calculated into your grade, and you can take a practice test up to 5 different times. Each time, a new practice test is generated. You must pass with an 80% or higher before being allowed to take the test. The test consists of 15 items, is timed, can only be taken once.
A graded exam is the final assessment of your knowledge on certain skills and concepts covered in the course and cannot be completed until all lessons, quiz practices, quizzes, practice tests and tests are completed.

Lots more details here:
https://247support.custhelp.com/app/answ...a_id/10959
https://247support.custhelp.com/app/answ...a_id/10958
I decided to sign up for English Comp II from Propero to see how it is. Once they give me access i'll post the course requirements so we can compare them to Straighterline's English Comp II. I choose this one because I haven't attempted the CLEP and figured that at a minimum it will help prepare me for the CLEP.

Here is what I know so far. Sign up for the course was through MyPearsonStore.com. I was able to use any of the following discount codes: Spring13 (15% off), ProfileDisc001 (10% off), and MPSBKREG11 (10% off) but you cannot combine them. I was also charged tax on the purchase (Oklahoma). I received 2 emails: 1 registration email, and 1 purchase email. I still have not received an access email (~45mins after) the site says to let them know if it takes more than 12 hours so i'm no too worried about it.
Degrees:
Associate: Pikes Peak Community College - Associate of General Studies 2012
Bachelors: Thomas Edison State College - BSBA (General Management) 2013 ~ Arnold Fletcher Award Recipient
Link to Degree Plan
MBA: Patten University - Master of Business Administration - Information Technology 2017
armyb77 Wrote:I decided to sign up for English Comp II from Propero to see how it is. Once they give me access i'll post the course requirements so we can compare them to Straighterline's English Comp II. I choose this one because I haven't attempted the CLEP and figured that at a minimum it will help prepare me for the CLEP.

Here is what I know so far. Sign up for the course was through MyPearsonStore.com. I was able to use any of the following discount codes: Spring13 (15% off), ProfileDisc001 (10% off), and MPSBKREG11 (10% off) but you cannot combine them. I was also charged tax on the purchase (Oklahoma). I received 2 emails: 1 registration email, and 1 purchase email. I still have not received an access email (~45mins after) the site says to let them know if it takes more than 12 hours so i'm no too worried about it.

Wow, great find on the coupon codes! Thanks for the details. Looking forward to your feedback... hopefully someone will be brave enough to give the Macro/Microeconomics and Accounting courses a try (hint hint) LOL
This might be good for me. I see that ACE has approved the Research Methods course. I only need a few more classes at TESC and I was looking for somewhere to take it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 28 2,561 03-22-2024, 08:29 PM
Last Post: KagomeH
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,563 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 701 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies (Has anyone taken one of these courses? patsfand 1 756 02-22-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 510 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
Question Graduate-Level Courses NotJoeBiden 7 612 01-24-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Help Finding Some Courses harrypotter 2 268 01-23-2024, 03:52 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU---Easy Courses and TECEPS midnite123 5 544 01-04-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Cheap Self-Paced Language Courses or courses IN said languages? nykorn 4 413 12-09-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Outlier.org - 2 For 1 Courses bjcheung77 12 2,471 11-21-2023, 12:27 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77