Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Purdue University Global – Online MBA Program (ExcelTrack)
Purdue University Global – Online MBA Program (ExcelTrack)

I am 5 courses away from BSBA in Finance from TESU. I am hoping for a Sept. 2018 Graduation.  I have just started to explore MBA programs and came across Purdue University Global.

Here is what I discovered.
Purdue purchased Kaplan in 2017 

ACBSP Accreditation

The Program

From the website:
Description and Outcomes
The objective of the Master of Business Administration program is to help you pursue leadership positions in competitive business environments. The curriculum is designed to address this through a portfolio of practical, resume-building projects that satisfy your intellectual curiosity and help build the knowledge, skills, and abilities to make sound business and management decisions. Beyond these practical skills, the program is also designed to foster thought leadership, innovation, and corporate social responsibility in a global context.

Concentrations
In addition to the core program requirements, you may add a concentration to your degree plan, for which you are required to take a minimum of four courses from one of six concentrations: finance, health care management, human resources, information technology, marketing, or project management. Concentrations are not required for completion of the general program.

ExcelTrack Option
The ExcelTrack option for the Master of Business Administration is designed to allow students with applicable skills, professional experience, and self-direction to accelerate their pace toward earning their degree. In the ExcelTrack option, there are no required weekly assignments or class hours per course—just one final comprehensive project. Students can skip material they know and focus on what they need to learn to master course outcomes. With a few rare exceptions, ExcelTrack courses are divided into small one-credit courses that allow flexible course loads each term.  ExcelTrack uses a term-based tuition model: the more courses students complete per term, the greater their cost savings.

The Program (directly from email I received)
1)     Competency based.  So, a person with business education/experience might be a better fit than someone without.

2)     Tested at the beginning so you will know what "you know" and what you need to focus on. 

3)     The point is for "aggressive" students who wish to speed through elements they know well, without the need to go at pace with the standard classroom, also not waiting on the term to end to go into the next class.  There is also no requirement for the 3 active log-ins as there are with the standard students.

4)     Do as many modules as possible.  Each class is 4 credits, so I recommend doing no less than 6 modules at any point to really take advantage of this option.  You'll save more and graduate sooner.  8 modules are the equivalent of doing two classes (8 credits).  So, that is moving twice as fast as the traditional student at a set rate.

5)     Fail a module test in excel MBA?  Retake module ... over and over ... within the term until you pass.  Fail a mid-term or final in the standard MBA?  That's it.

6)     Excel option is not a good fit for people who need class structure, or interaction with classmates, or who don't have good time management skills and aren't driven.

Cost = $1,550 per six-week term.
Take as many courses as you can.  According to bullet #4, if you took 8 modules every six weeks, you would be done in 8 terms rounding up (60 Credits / 8). This would cost $12,400.  If it takes you longer, it would be $1,550 per term more. The link below under ExcelTrack Information states the program can be completed in 16-18 months. Taking 8 modules would be less than that. Using 16 months, the cost would be closer to 11 terms at $1,550 per term or $17,050. 
NOTE: This is my rough math, so please take this with a grain of salt.

Core Courses

ExcelTrack Information

I am waiting for a response to my question about the course design (online quizzes, mid-terms, finals, writing assignments and projects).  I will report back with what I fund out.

If anyone has anything to add, please share

I hope you found this helpful.

Gloddy
TESU BSBA in Finance (9/14/2018) - Thanks to this Community!
Professional Designations: CIMA®, CFP®, ChFC®
Professional Registrations: FINRA Series 7, 63 & 65

Still Need:
N/A

Completed Courses: Study.com ENG104, POS102, BUS109, COM101, HIS103, NUT101, ENG105, BUS108, COMP102, HIS108, HIS106, PSY103, HIS104, STA101, LAW201, ACC101, ACC102, FIN101, COM120, BUS101, BUS102, BUS308, ECO101, BUS113; ALEKS College Algebra

B&M Schools
: Penn State (93’), Bucks County CC (94’-95’), LaSalle Univ. (02’-03’), The American College of Financial Services (16'-17'), TESU (18')
[-] The following 2 users Like Gloddy's post:
  • Muldoon, studiousimp
Would you really go there instead of Patten, WGU, or the others? WGU's MBA would be around $7000 if it was done in 6-12 months or $3500 if it was done in just under 6 months. Patten's MBA would be only $4000 if done in under 8 months, and $6000 if done in 8-12 months. Both have various concentrations.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • Yenisei
76 credits for an MBA? yowza. Assuming that's quarter credits, that's still 50+ credits. Most masters programs are 30-36. If it took the full year at Purdue, you's be paying almost $27k!!
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • Yenisei
I'm with everyone else, why pay $12k+ for their MBA over the other options? If I was going to pay that much, I'd probably rather do APU (lots of good electives), or ENMU for less than $10k (although 2 years). If I was going to do competency-based, I would certainly rather do WGU.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thanks for the responses.

I was doing some research and thought I would share it so others wouldn't have to.

After reading the responses here, I did some research on WGU and agree, it appears to be a similar type of program (competency-based, online, accredited, and inexpensive).   So it would seem, WGU is a very good option.

The cost difference between WGU and Purdue Global is substantial. I live in the Northeast (Philadelphia).  Traditional B&M Schools, in this area, all seem to be in the $50k plus range. This includes schools, like Temple, Drexel, Villanova, etc. One the low end, West Chester University has an online program that is approx. $17k all in.  On the high end, PENN is $200k.  I couldn't afford that and I would never get in.  So, the $12 - $20k for an MBA with the Purdue name on it, seemed like a viable alternative to consider.  Even if it says Purdue Global.

Outside of this board, I had never heard of WGU.

With that said, along with the recommendations here, there appears to many good reviews written about WGU elsewhere.

Forbes: WGU Best Kept Secret

I did an accelerated MBA (Felix Wong)

Linkedin: My MBA Experience with WGU

I still have 5 more classes with TESU, so I am not there yet, but WGU does seem like a compelling choice.  

Gloddy
TESU BSBA in Finance (9/14/2018) - Thanks to this Community!
Professional Designations: CIMA®, CFP®, ChFC®
Professional Registrations: FINRA Series 7, 63 & 65

Still Need:
N/A

Completed Courses: Study.com ENG104, POS102, BUS109, COM101, HIS103, NUT101, ENG105, BUS108, COMP102, HIS108, HIS106, PSY103, HIS104, STA101, LAW201, ACC101, ACC102, FIN101, COM120, BUS101, BUS102, BUS308, ECO101, BUS113; ALEKS College Algebra

B&M Schools
: Penn State (93’), Bucks County CC (94’-95’), LaSalle Univ. (02’-03’), The American College of Financial Services (16'-17'), TESU (18')
[-] The following 2 users Like Gloddy's post:
  • studiousimp, Yenisei
(04-07-2018, 07:20 AM)Gloddy Wrote: Thanks for the responses.

I was doing some research and thought I would share it so others wouldn't have to.

After reading the responses here, I did some research on WGU and agree, it appears to be a similar type of program (competency-based, online, accredited, and inexpensive).   So it would seem, WGU is a very good option.

The cost difference between WGU and Purdue Global is substantial. I live in the Northeast (Philadelphia).  Traditional B&M Schools, in this area, all seem to be in the $50k plus range. This includes schools, like Temple, Drexel, Villanova, etc. One the low end, West Chester University has an online program that is approx. $17k all in.  On the high end, PENN is $200k.  I couldn't afford that and I would never get in.  So, the $12 - $20k for an MBA with the Purdue name on it, seemed like a viable alternative to consider.  Even if it says Purdue Global.

Outside of this board, I had never heard of WGU.

With that said, along with the recommendations here, there appears to many good reviews written about WGU elsewhere.

Forbes: WGU Best Kept Secret

I did an accelerated MBA (Felix Wong)

Linkedin: My MBA Experience with WGU

I still have 5 more classes with TESU, so I am not there yet, but WGU does seem like a compelling choice.  

Gloddy

A friend of mine did most of his MBA at the University of The People and then transferred to Purdue Global. They took something like 60% of his credits for the ExcelTrack program so he'll be done in no time and the bill won't be bad.

Having said that, Purdue needs to ease up. The programs are too many credits long, and the terms are too short (6-weeks for almost $2000 when you add in all the fees). In the end, you're really just paying for the Purdue name. A 36-credit Masters is customary and perfectly fine, why they felt the need to stretch it to 76 and 60 respectively I can only believe has to do with money.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eLearner's post:
  • Ideas
"A friend of mine did most of his MBA at the University of The People and then transferred to Purdue Global"

Wow! I wonder if University of the people could transfer to WGU...

"WGU does not accept college transfer credits at the graduate (master’s) level. "
Actually I just found that on the WGU website
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 7 575 47 minutes ago
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 22 1,687 2 hours ago
Last Post: klone
  Opinions on Master's International University of Divinity isaachunter 19 6,049 Yesterday, 07:55 AM
Last Post: isaachunter
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 27 17,210 04-07-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: David1477
  NYU SPS Guaranteed Admission Program smartdegree 6 469 04-07-2024, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Fitchburg State University - MBA in Finance Spaceghost 7 481 04-06-2024, 01:04 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 33 7,258 04-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  New Zealand Online Degrees doyouhowdo1 1 318 03-31-2024, 10:46 AM
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 357 03-28-2024, 12:40 AM
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 586 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado