Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Purdue University Global's Open University Program
Have you guys heard of this one? If I'm figuring this right and the gentleman on the phone is correct this may be a contender.

I got off the phone with them with a degree plan that counts AWS Solutions Architect Associate + W3Schools PHP Certificate for NINETY (90!!!) quarter credits. They clear the entire major requirements plus about a 1/3 of the electives. A moderately difficult IT cert and a stupid simple one counts for half of a Bachelor's.

They are potentially giving me the rest of it with a combination of PLA + TEEX Cybersecurity ACE and Saylor/Google Support Cert to fill in any gaps from PLA.  45 quarter credits are required for residency.

I've attached my degree plan rough draft plus info from the school.

The Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies (BSPr) at the Open College at Purdue Global allows students to combine college credits they have previously earned with additional credits they can earn through assessments of prior learning as well as open courses offered by Purdue Global and other open course providers. Unlike a traditional discipline-specific degree program with a set list of required courses, the BSPr degree allows students the flexibility to choose their major requirements and major elective courses by creating an individualized learning plan.

Tuition for the BSPr is a $195.00 a month subscription fee. In addition to this cost, students pay $100 per course assessment and $2200.00 for the Capstone course (final course in the program). Students are required to complete 180 quarter credit hours and 4 Professional Competency Tutorials (PCTs) in Teamwork, Leadership, Personal Presentation, and Multiculturalism and Diversity.  While the PCTs are required, they are free.
Students are able to transfer in or apply experiential credit (credit for learning that occurred in the workplace or life experience) for up to 135 quarter credit hours toward their BSPr degree. The remaining credits, including the Capstone course, must be completed in the form of taking Purdue Global classes (additional tuition expense) or course assessments ($100 per assessment) offered through the Open College

Attached Files
.xlsx   BS Professional Studies Purdue Global.xlsx (Size: 13.72 KB / Downloads: 40)

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
[-] The following 1 user Likes xicovu's post:
  • Pikachu
https://www.purdueglobal.edu/transfer-st...ion-exams/

PUG is pretty generous with transferring in I.T. certifications. Definitely a good option for some people.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • Pikachu
If it was me, I still wouldn't bite until I know more about the program.  This is different than the competency based degree program they have, the ExcelTrak option.  You need to ask the "dude-r" how many assessments there are in the 45 remaining credits.  If the assessments are cheaper, go that route instead of taking the courses.  If I guess correctly, this program is a mix of test-out and competency based similar to their Exceltrack program.  Doesn't seem like a bad program, one of our board members was the first to get a BSPS degree from Purdue Global, then she started taking the MBA program there as well, I recall she finished the MBA a year or two ago... https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...University
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • Pikachu, ss20ts
These would be the Open University courses I would have to take assessments for. I could take these at straighter line, however, if I get all the PLA I think I can get I'll have nothing else to take residency wise:

Course # Course Title
CM107 College Composition I
CM220 College Composition II
100/200 Level Mathematics
100/200 Level Arts and Humanities
100/200 Level Science Course
100/200 Level Speaking and Listening Course
100/200 Level Social Science Course
100/200 Level Diversity and Culture
100/200 Level Ethics Course

My biggest gripe with getting a Bachelor's has been the time-waste of going through courses that teach basic hardware, network, software concepts, even if you can test out like WGU. 

If I can get the PLA credit like I believe I will be able to do, I could have this done by the end of the year. Even if the required courses are a slog, it's worth it to clear 3/4 of a Bachelor's degree. Hopefully it'll work out like its looking like it might. I would love to get straight on to a Master's.

Attached Files
.xlsx   BS Professional Studies Purdue Global.xlsx (Size: 13.72 KB / Downloads: 9)

(11-23-2020, 10:31 PM)xicovu Wrote: These would be the Open University courses I would have to take assessments for. I could take these at straighter line, however, if I get all the PLA I think I can get I'll have nothing else to take residency wise:

Course # Course Title

My biggest gripe with getting a Bachelor's has been the time-waste of going through courses that teach basic hardware, network, software concepts, even if you can test out like WGU. 

If I can get the PLA credit like I believe I will be able to do, I could have this done by the end of the year. Even if the required courses are a slog, it's worth it to clear 3/4 of a Bachelor's degree. Hopefully it'll work out like its looking like it might. I would love to get straight on to a Master's.
I did like this program because you get to pick which PANeLs you want to do. Some are paper based where others are exams. I only stopped the program because of other reasons. It was a good program though.

There's also the 4 competency courses you can't transfer in.
Sent from my SM-G981V using DegreeForum.net mobile app
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

(11-23-2020, 10:10 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: If it was me, I still wouldn't bite until I know more about the program.  This is different than the competency based degree program they have, the ExcelTrak option.  You need to ask the "dude-r" how many assessments there are in the 45 remaining credits.  If the assessments are cheaper, go that route instead of taking the courses.  If I guess correctly, this program is a mix of test-out and competency based similar to their Exceltrack program.  Doesn't seem like a bad program, one of our board members was the first to get a BSPS degree from Purdue Global, then she started taking the MBA program there as well, I recall she finished the MBA a year or two ago... https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...University

The IT Certs transfer in the same for the competency-based program; my husband has one of the AWS certs, and it would have cleared 55 quarter credits of the ExcelTrack Cloud degree.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-23-2020, 10:31 PM)xicovu Wrote: These would be the Open University courses I would have to take assessments for. I could take these at straighter line, however, if I get all the PLA I think I can get I'll have nothing else to take residency wise:

Course # Course Title

All of those gen ed courses can be done on Sophia. My husband is attending Purdue Global on an ExcelTrack degree. You need to complete a specific number of credits at Purdue. This isn't an ExcelTrack degree plan so you're goin to be on their schedule system. I don't how you think you'll complete the degree by the end of the year which is just 6 weeks away.
Weird, it's just me, I'm still thinking it's a better option for the BSIT Exceltrack vs this BSPS. So, round out your numbers and crunch those calculations and find the sweet spot to see which one would suit you more...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
My original plan was to do the ExcelTrack B.S. Cloud Computing or BSIT but when I discovered the BPS + credit for W3School PHP Cert + AWS + PLA it's just too good of a deal money and time wise. Add on the TEEX Cyber Security credits and I'll have 3/4 of the degree done. By end of year I mean end of 2021.

There are three tracks at Purdue Global. ExcelTrack, the normal semester system and the Open University program that is separate from the other two. It's only available for the Bachelor's of Professional Studies degree and and uses module courses that are done under a subscription costing $199 a month, plus $99 per an assessment. 

https://opencollege.purdueglobal.edu/pag...s-degrees/ 

There isn't a real point doing them at Sophia because I need to get residency credits and all of my technical credit eats through most of it. As far as I can see the Open University program is comparable to Study.com pricing wise with the subscription and the total amount spent comes in less than our roughly right at what a TESU residency would cost.

All I need is a checkbox and a BPS does it. I'm just amazed at how flexible this is looking like it is going to be, especially after following up with the advisor. My perception is that the BPS program is meant to quickly get people into a Master's degree for them to pull in $$$

[-] The following 1 user Likes xicovu's post:
  • Pikachu
(11-27-2020, 03:11 AM)xicovu Wrote: My original plan was to do the ExcelTrack B.S. Cloud Computing or BSIT but when I discovered the BPS + credit for W3School PHP Cert + AWS + PLA it's just too good of a deal money and time wise. Add on the TEEX Cyber Security credits and I'll have 3/4 of the degree done. By end of year I mean end of 2021.

There are three tracks at Purdue Global. ExcelTrack, the normal semester system and the Open University program that is separate from the other two. It's only available for the Bachelor's of Professional Studies degree and and uses module courses that are done under a subscription costing $199 a month, plus $99 per an assessment. 

https://opencollege.purdueglobal.edu/pag...s-degrees/ 

There isn't a real point doing them at Sophia because I need to get residency credits and all of my technical credit eats through most of it. As far as I can see the Open University program is comparable to Study.com pricing wise with the subscription and the total amount spent comes in less than our roughly right at what a TESU residency would cost.

All I need is a checkbox and a BPS does it. I'm just amazed at how flexible this is looking like it is going to be, especially after following up with the advisor. My perception is that the BPS program is meant to quickly get people into a Master's degree for them to pull in $$$

If by end of 2021, then why not one of the ExcelTracks? That would provide you with a BS or BA instead of a BPS. It can totally be done in that amount of time if you work hard. One thing to note....this may not apply to you, but it may for someone else looking at this program, financial aid is not available for it. Financial aid is available for the ExcelTrack programs though so this is 100% out of pocket. That $2,200 for a capstone course........ouch.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lifestyle Prescriptions University ADC2305 2 248 03-18-2024, 10:35 PM
Last Post: ADC2305
  University of the People Experiences ashkir 55 9,341 03-17-2024, 01:07 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  University of Wisconsin - Flexible Program (BSBA Degree) KanekiGirl99 2 273 03-16-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  For purdue global whats discrete mathematics like? purduestudent 2 203 02-26-2024, 04:18 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  University of Wisconsin has a self-paced, competency-based program MikeHez 28 5,696 02-25-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: ItsNeverTheLionsYear
  University of the People - Fee Price Hike bjcheung77 21 3,505 02-01-2024, 12:02 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Colorado State University GLOBAL? GoBroncos95 3 654 01-30-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  University of AZ: Are these 10-wk Business Analytics Cert Courses Worth the $? Claudia P 3 354 01-18-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Tomas
  Liberty University indigoshuffle 8 764 01-16-2024, 11:47 AM
  TAMUC Competency Based Program List bjcheung77 85 12,253 01-12-2024, 02:42 AM