Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question: CLEP, DSST,... before or after registration
Hello,

I am new in this forum. I am from Belgium and I am planning for going to one of the big 3 colleges.

After knowing which degree I'd like to do, would it be better to first do the different exams (clep, dsst, ....) for that subject before even subscribing to the university?
Meaning , that on the day I would subscribe, I could just transfer all the points at once? Or better already subscribe and slowly ticking off the different subject boxes using CLEP/DSST/ECE/TECEP ACE,...

Regards,
Tom
den_tom Wrote:Hello,

I am new in this forum. I am from Belgium and I am planning for going to one of the big 3 colleges.

After knowing which degree I'd like to do, would it be better to first do the different exams (clep, dsst, ....) for that subject before even subscribing to the university?
Meaning , that on the day I would subscribe, I could just transfer all the points at once? Or better already subscribe and slowly ticking off the different subject boxes using CLEP/DSST/ECE/TECEP ACE,...

Regards,
Tom

There is no "RIGHT" way to do this. You will get different opinions depending on who you ask. For me I suggest applying as soon as you decide on a school/degree. That way you can lock yourself into that catalog and you don't have to worry about things changing on you. Others might say just work on general education for awhile to get those done then apply I don't see the benefit to doing this other then most likely your general educations won't change.

For TESU you really only have to take a TECEP (and pass it) once a year and they cost 117$ to stay enrolled.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
It depends on the school and how long you predict you will take. COSC charges every semester.

A lot of people get at least half of the credits before they enroll.

For the last 30 or so credits, mostly the area of study credits, it's usually best to get approval before taking the courses. Especially for COSC or Excelsior because not as many people are posting equivalencies. However, it's also good at TESU because TESU changes their equivalencies for some things frequently.

I think you need to decide on the school before you start, because if you don't, it will end up costing you time/money.

For instance, if you don't enroll at TESU, and end up deciding on it later, you may have surprise catalog changes that make some of the courses you take not applicable to the degree. If you do enroll at COSC or EC, they will both charge each semester/term you're there. And they all cost money to apply.

Also, if you take any CLEP/DSST exams, if you don't send them to the school immediately, then you have to pay for a transcript later. More money.

Really, you need to spend some time deciding what you want to do.

Now, in the meantime, you can take some online courses, especially the free/cheap ones. You can apply for the Study.com Guardian scholarship to try to get 6 free courses. But, you really need to know what you're going to do so you can figure out what to spend your time/money on.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RBA degree question Jennr2z 19 3,146 12-14-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Question about BYU Independent Study Amberlinjeanne 4 1,322 09-05-2023, 06:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 505 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Art of the Western World, Has anyone taken the DSST? jessjoy23 26 6,457 02-13-2023, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Danielcraig007
  EdX MicroBachelors letter grade question cardiacclep 3 609 12-28-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Transferology question - how to find ACE and NCCRS? katsiki 4 543 10-09-2022, 01:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Question about Transferring Credits Nelson Lin 3 732 09-17-2022, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,841 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  Question about the 1 credit RA self-paced class from ASU sparkling 2 1,197 08-24-2022, 03:41 PM
Last Post: sparkling
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 847 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore