Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about COS 306 Computer Architecture Study.com Final assignment
https://medium.com/@karlrombauts/buildin...f1e5ea0d03
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(12-14-2021, 02:27 PM)rachel83az Wrote: It appears that, as of January 1st, this class will no longer be accepted by TESU. If you haven't finished it, finish it NOW. Some further helpful links I've found as I'm rushing to complete this class myself:

https://www.instructables.com/How-to-Bui...-Computer/
https://electronics.stackexchange.com/qu...-8-bit-cpu
https://www.youtube.com/c/BenEater/playlists

I'm still struggling with this assignment  Cry:  Can't figure out the Control Unit, and now that I'm looking at the rubric, it says "Build the instruction selection unit using a multiplexer" which I think it's talking about the output of the operation blocks in the ALU and I did that, but the way it says "INSTRUCTION SELECTION UNIT" is confusing me as if they want a separate block for ISU just like they do for the control unit? 
I did the Final practice tests 16 times!!! Like 16 X 50 questions, and then last Saturday did the Final Exam and got 79 out of 100 (still pending proctor review). Worth to mention that literally not a single of the practice test questions were in the final exam!!!  Exclamation Eventually I'm gonna transfer to WGU if I get enough points out of this assignment  Sad
I'm drained and frustrated... Literally watched every single youtube video and tutorial and book on the internet but the way SDC assignment wants us to design the circuit is very different than all of the design processes I've seen from those tutorials and books! HELP!!!  Angel 
Another question! I've read that some people suggested that only doing Phase 1-2 and assembly programs is enough to pass the course, but how do we write a program without designing the control unit and ram and registers? Should the programs be executable based on the language that we are supposed to design but they never mentioned anything about OR the general format of assembly language that is executable on IDE like ASM or 8086 format? Gosh this thing is so confusing!!!
(12-18-2021, 02:17 AM)exxxius Wrote: Another question! I've read that some people suggested that only doing Phase 1-2 and assembly programs is enough to pass the course, but how do we write a program without designing the control unit and ram and registers?
Pretend they exist.

Quote: Should the programs be executable based on the language that we are supposed to design but they never mentioned anything about
Yes.

Quote: OR the general format of assembly language that is executable on IDE like ASM or 8086 format? Gosh this thing is so confusing!!!

If you design it that way, then yes.

Check the rubric. The assembly programs are 40 points. If you can do (most of) the ALU, that gives you 50-60 points at minimum.

100 points for quizzes
+50 points for assignment
+65 points for exam
======
215 points and a pass

If you haven't already taken the exam, do so immediately. If you get 90% on the exam, you'd only need about 30 points in the assignment to pass the course.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • exxxius
(12-18-2021, 12:14 AM)exxxius Wrote: I did the Final practice tests 16 times!!! Like 16 X 50 questions, and then last Saturday did the Final Exam and got 79 out of 100 (still pending proctor review). Worth to mention that literally not a single of the practice test questions were in the final exam!!!  Exclamation Eventually I'm gonna transfer to WGU if I get enough points

79 out of 100, that's really good!!!

100 points quizzes
79 points final exam
31 points are all you need on the assignment to pass!

All you need to do is Frankenstein that assignment together and make it "look" like it is something that resembles an ALU.  Then slap something together to make it "look" like an assembly code that will do something.

You get 3 tries for the assignment so the grader should give you feedback on the parts you need to improve on if you do score lower than 31. 

I'm guessing you would do the Computer Science at WGU since that's the only degree that requires Computer Architecture?

Did you already pass Discrete Math? How did you do that exam?  Any tips?
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • exxxius
(12-18-2021, 11:01 AM)LevelUP Wrote:
(12-18-2021, 12:14 AM)exxxius Wrote: I did the Final practice tests 16 times!!! Like 16 X 50 questions, and then last Saturday did the Final Exam and got 79 out of 100 (still pending proctor review). Worth to mention that literally not a single of the practice test questions were in the final exam!!!  Exclamation Eventually I'm gonna transfer to WGU if I get enough points

79 out of 100, that's really good!!!

100 points quizzes
79 points final exam
31 points are all you need on the assignment to pass!

All you need to do is Frankenstein that assignment together and make it "look" like it is something that resembles an ALU.  Then slap something together to make it "look" like an assembly code that will do something.

You get 3 tries for the assignment so the grader should give you feedback on the parts you need to improve on if you do score lower than 31. 

I'm guessing you would do the Computer Science at WGU since that's the only degree that requires Computer Architecture?

Did you already pass Discrete Math? How did you do that exam?  Any tips?

Have you already done this assignment? How did you do it? 
Honestly the WGU computer architecture course doesn't have a project, but I found out late when I already had done all the quizzes on SDC, so I thought I'd finish and transfer it. Discrete Math I was HAAAAAAARRRD!!! I got 88% and compared to the one at WGU, it had more chapters that you'll learn in DMII but I found out that late as well  Blush 
You want to have your calculator with you as it helps a lot with solving equations. Also, do as many practice tests as you can so you know the likes of the questions and how to solve them.
I have completed all the Study.com courses required for Computer Science at TESU including Computer Arch. 

Sry I can't offer much advice on how to do Computer Arch.  I struggled just like most others on here. 

Be sure to comment on every line of your assembly code or you can lose points!
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(12-18-2021, 12:14 AM)exxxius Wrote: I'm still struggling with this assignment  Cry:  Can't figure out the Control Unit, and now that I'm looking at the rubric, it says "Build the instruction selection unit using a multiplexer" which I think it's talking about the output of the operation blocks in the ALU and I did that, but the way it says "INSTRUCTION SELECTION UNIT" is confusing me as if they want a separate block for ISU just like they do for the control unit? 
I did the Final practice tests 16 times!!! Like 16 X 50 questions, and then last Saturday did the Final Exam and got 79 out of 100 (still pending proctor review). Worth to mention that literally not a single of the practice test questions were in the final exam!!!  Exclamation Eventually I'm gonna transfer to WGU if I get enough points out of this assignment  Sad
I'm drained and frustrated... Literally watched every single youtube video and tutorial and book on the internet but the way SDC assignment wants us to design the circuit is very different than all of the design processes I've seen from those tutorials and books! HELP!!!  Angel 

So what I noticed comparing some of the content from SDC vs some of the links on this forum is that SDC shows the example of using a multiplexer to control which gates are active (https://study.com/academy/lesson/buildin...gisim.html) but it's only using a single bit to control the multiplexer where some of the links on this forum shows examples of using a multiplexer in logisim with multiple bits. You are on the right path of what you are thinking what they are asking for on that part.

As for what they are asking in the Instruction Selection Unit, if you built the instruction selection unit using the multiplexer then you know what selection of bits in your multiplexer does what, but I don't so what they are asking for is to create a table with the binary bits and what operation it does, so for example if you selected Input A & Input B so they both true and your multiplexer has the AND, NOT & OR gates like they asked in phase 1 and you were to cover up your ALU with a piece of paper on your screen so all you could see was Input A, Input B, the multiplexer input & the result - could someone like me who has no idea what multiplexer input value activates which gate use the table of inputs to select the correct gate to get the expected result?

Hopefully that makes more sense than the assignment instructions.
In Progress:
TESU:
BA Computer Science (117/120)
SoonCapstone

Completed: AS in Mathematics, Certificate in Computer Information Systems

TESU: 6 Credits (SOS-110, CMP-3540) - 2023
Coursera: 24 Credits (IBM Data Analysis & Visualization Foundations, SAS Advanced Programmer, Google Data Analytics) 2022-2023
Study.com: 27 Credits (Management Information Systems, Systems Analysis & Design, Database Management, Computer Architecture, Discrete Mathematics, Geometry, Data Structures, Intro to Operating Systems, Calculus) 2020-2022
InstantCert.com: 3 Credits (American Government) - 2022
CSMLearn.com: 3 Credits - 2021
Sophia.org: 46 Credits - 2020
Texas A&M Engineering Extension Service 11 Credits - 2020
B&M College: 105.34 Credits - 2010

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 39,274 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,468 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,574 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 600 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 261 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 327 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 966 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Question Promo Codes, SL vs Sophia Breaachh 11 691 02-11-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: Breaachh
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,810 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 549 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle