Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question on TESU Process
Hey everyone,
I hear a lot about TESU pre-approving students for certain classes. Can someone shed some light on how this process works?

Suppose someone has NO college credits and wants to graduate with a BSBA from TESU. Do they apply to TESU, and then does TESU tell them which of the 117 credits they can take from the ace-certified providers?

OR, do you just take main general ed courses, 90 credits of them, apply, and then they map out only the remaining few classes with their capstone course as well approving you to take other classes via study, SL, etc?

If anyone can shed some light on the process i would appreciate it. Thanks all
(05-21-2018, 05:31 PM)acamp Wrote: Hey everyone,
I hear a lot about TESU pre-approving students for certain classes.  Can someone shed some light on how this process works?

Suppose someone has NO college credits and wants to graduate with a BSBA from TESU.  Do they apply to TESU, and then does TESU tell them which of the 117 credits they can take from the ace-certified providers?

OR, do you just take main general ed courses, 90 credits of them, apply, and then they map out only the remaining few classes with their capstone course as well approving you to take other classes via study, SL, etc?

If anyone can shed some light on the process i would appreciate it.  Thanks all

I can't answer the first question but I came to this message board with a patchwork of mostly general education credits (23 or so). Dfrecore provided a BALS template for me and I got to work filling in the blanks. Once those were filled-in, I formally applied to TESU, they accepted everything and now I'm almost a month into the Capstone project, hopefully graduating in September if all goes to plan.

Besides my B&M credits, I used Saylor Academy, Shmoop (defunct for the time being), Study.com with the Guardian Scholarship, CLEP and other free credit sources.

Hope this helps.
Doctor of Medicine candidate (MD) - anticipated complete '24
(05-21-2018, 05:31 PM)acamp Wrote: Hey everyone,
I hear a lot about TESU pre-approving students for certain classes.  Can someone shed some light on how this process works?

Suppose someone has NO college credits and wants to graduate with a BSBA from TESU.  Do they apply to TESU, and then does TESU tell them which of the 117 credits they can take from the ace-certified providers?

If anyone can shed some light on the process i would appreciate it.  Thanks all

I started with 8 credits which is next to nothing, so I can appreciate where you're coming from.

First of all, you can apply to TESU at any time, though there really is no need to apply unless you're looking to see how your existing credits may map into a degree, or you want to lock in the current course catalog. You can start working on your GenEd credits without being affiliated with any college. It's the AOS courses that are more troublesome, in that you need to understand how they fit into your degree first.

As for degree planning, it is the job of the TESU advisors to recommend their own courses. They will not suggest (and in some cases may even deny they accept) courses from Straighterline, Study.com, etc. So, creating a course plan requires a bit more effort on your part if you wish to use alternate sources of credit.

Since you're interested in a BSBA from TESU, there are a number of people here who are also working on that, or have done so previously, that can help with a plan. You just need to figure out what specialization you're interested in (General Management, CIS, HR, etc.) Once you do, Dfrecore will probably be happy to provide a generic plan via an excel spreadsheet. That plan covers the important bits and gives some recommendations as to where to find alternative courses that will map to the TESU BSBA degree requirements.

From there it is all about choosing the courses you want and where you want to take them. These days you can pretty much get nearly the entire degree between Straighterline and Study.com.

Once you're further along, or whenever you feel like it, it would be a good idea to apply and get your evaluation. Once you apply you have a year to enroll. You enroll by taking a course with TESU or by taking a TECEP exam.

FYI, until you're actually an enrolled student, TESU doesn't help much or allow you to pre-approve anything.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 2 users Like Merlin's post:
  • High_Order1, jeremiah_jn
TESU will not help you locate non-TESU courses to fit into your degree. To get outside courses planned in, you have to ask them to plan specific courses from specific providers into your academic plan. So you either need to search around on the net, guess, or talk around here what works where.

Since you have no credits, you can grab one of the sample BSBA degree plans and follow that. Apply to TESU as soon as you're ready to commit to the process as there's no downside to doing so and it will lock in your catalog.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Hey guys,
Thanks for all the responses. Just on a side note, I do have credits and a degree - I just wasn't sure how the "preapproved" courses work because I read a few people had preapproved courses from TESU using shmoop so I didn't understand how they could preapprove shmoop when it wasn't tesu (if that makes sense).

Either way, thank you all!
I was an enrolled student.

I emailed the nice lady, and said - I want to take class (X). Does this fit into slot (Y)?

Some times she said yes, often she said no. Mostly because I was dumb about what constitutes core credits, and electives, and why a liberal arts degree path might not accept a potential credit.

I did it because I did a couple of courses they wound up not willing to apply to my degree path for various reasons, I wanted to bank up first then apply thinking that saved money (I don't think it did, really).

Apply. Get registered as a student. Take advantage of student discounts, and a genuine TESU student email. Join study.com, and use that to reduce your costs further. Then make them commit to your individual courses. Then do them. lol That's what I learned the hard way, because I'm obstinate.

Happy journey!
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

I was asked to send a link to the CC course in the catalog for the college where i was taking it to have a preplanned entry for a class that was not very standard.

over the phone i was told they review the course description and determine if it is similar to their course and sometimes they will require a syllabus.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,976 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,659 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,102 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,637 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,729 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,341 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,588 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,321 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,374 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,858 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore