Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question regarding "field trial test questions"
Does anyone really know for sure how many of the dsst questions or clep questions really count in the grading equation? I know they both " field test" certain questions on each exam, but how many? I found taking the dsst exams interesting in that they have a hundred or more questions and yet require you to only score a 48 or 49 on most tests. Does that really mean that each question only counts one point or are they " field testing " ten or so and really grading you on 90 or so questions. I keep track on a scratch sheet how many questions I know I have right and usually when i get up around 50 or more I feel safe ...yet Iam not sure whether there is some curve factor out there that will ultimately zing me and six months later I can test again. Anyone know for sure..thanks.
I don't think Collegeboard or Chauncy Group will tell you how many field test items are on each exam. It could also vary from topic to topic. They don't want you to know how many there are because it can play mind games on you in a testing situation and they want you to treat every item as being important. You don't want to find yourself in a situation thinking you have X amount of "throw away" questions.

Also know that the score you receive is not the number you got correct. It's a scaled score. The score is based on the norms for the items that are compiled on a particular test form. Because there are many forms for each exam, it is not a fair score to say that you got a 49 and I got a 52 - which could be the difference between passing and failing - if we did not take the exact same form.

There's a lot of work that goes into field testing items. Sometimes items are found to not be valid through field testing and are thrown out before they ever count on a score. It's very bad business for these companies if mistakes are found. It can mean the difference between graduating or not or getting in to grad school or not, so they put a lot of energy in to making it right.

Probably too much information, but I hope this helps!
Does the "answer at least 50% correct CLEP rule" apply on DANTES too in order to pass? THANKS!!
ShotoJuku Wrote:Does the "answer at least 50% correct CLEP rule" apply on DANTES too in order to pass? THANKS!!
DOES DANTES{DSST}, WORK ON THE SAME SCORING PRINCIPLE?
RBOWMAN Wrote:DOES DANTES{DSST}, WORK ON THE SAME SCORING PRINCIPLE?

Hi RBOWMAN,

Yes! In general, you need to aim for above 50% correct to ensure a pass. The scores are scaled so there is no exact number that will always produce a pass for all exams, or even all versions of the same exam.

All DANTES exams are graded (at least they are at Excelsior). So a minimum passing score would only earn you a grade C. If you are looking for A's or B's, you will need to aim for higher than 50%.

Hope that helps,
Snazzlefrag
snazzlefrag Wrote:Hi RBOWMAN,

Yes! In general, you need to aim for above 50% correct to ensure a pass. The scores are scaled so there is no exact number that will always produce a pass for all exams, or even all versions of the same exam.

All DANTES exams are graded (at least they are at Excelsior). So a minimum passing score would only earn you a grade C. If you are looking for A's or B's, you will need to aim for higher than 50%.

Hope that helps,
Snazzlefrag

I agree with Snazzlefrag that you should shoot for at least 50% correct, but the scoring is not that simple. The raw score (cut score) is the number correct, but that is not what is reported, nor will they ever tell you what your raw score it. The raw score is converted to a scaled score based on the set of norms. For example, the CLEP scaled score of 50 (which is between a range of 20 to 80) is based on the performance indicative of a 2-semester C student. Because the raw score of a 2-semester C student may change, the raw score will always be converted to a scaled score of 50. The 50 then forms the minimum passing scaled score no matter which test form was administered, who took it, which part of the country it was taken, whether taken by male or female... you get the idea.
Chauncey Group/Prometric does the same basic thing, their scale may be different, but the concept is the same. It's really the same for all standardized testing, whether it's primary, secondary, or post-secondary.
Smile
Interesting... I've learned a thing or two!
--
Steve
Webmaster, InstantCert.com
sgloer Wrote:Interesting... I've learned a thing or two!
TALK ABOUT GOOD AND EXACTING REPLIES!!! THANKS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 150 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 178 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  Test Specific thread dewisant 7 468 01-30-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: dewisant
  RBA degree question Jennr2z 19 3,036 12-14-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Exciting News at ENEB! Introducing test-type exams to fast-track your studie akr680 37 5,427 10-27-2023, 06:53 AM
Last Post: karehiro
  Question about BYU Independent Study Amberlinjeanne 4 1,228 09-05-2023, 06:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  5 Random Questions [LOR, Pell, SNHU, etc] omicreativedev 5 743 01-07-2023, 04:03 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  EdX MicroBachelors letter grade question cardiacclep 3 593 12-28-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU Questions midnite123 18 1,264 12-12-2022, 02:52 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  SANS FOR500 Test and college credit vetvso 5 932 10-30-2022, 07:11 PM
Last Post: vetvso