Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions about Calculus I and II, and Linear Algebra
Hi all,

I had great success taking the CLEP College Algebra test (thanks to these forums). At that time I wanted to continue with the CLEP Pre-Calc but just got sick of it all. Since it wasn't required, I didn't do it.

Now, I am thinking about PhD programs in accounting. My school requires Calculus I, Calculus II (linear and differential) and Linear Algebra as part of their PhD program. They are not pre-reqs, but I'd love to get them done before applying (assuming I decide to apply). Three questions:

1) I would love to continue with the CLEPs through Calculus. Would that hamstring me at Calculus II, since I wouldn't have taken Calc I (and pre-calc) in a classroom?

2) Where does Linear Algebra fit into the math sequence?

3) In short, would it just be better for me to take all of these courses in a classroom (pre-calc, calc I and II, and linear algebra)?

Thank you!
BSBA/Accounting TESU (2016). MSA UIUC (2018).

Need help with portfolios? I earned 18 credits at TESU through portfolio evaluations. Nine of those were for upper level accounting courses. My advice for PLA/portfolios: TESU portfolio tips The first post has the Portfolio Checklist I created. Page ten has the actual narrative I wrote to receive credit for ACC-440.

Using Straighterline's Financial Accounting as a substitute for TESU's Intermediate Accounting I? Don't do it if you are an accounting major and/or want your CPA license. They are not the same course and I think TESU has erred in accepting the SL course as Intermediate I. I made this discovery here: Intermediate Accounting II.
You can learn Calc I on your own. You would have to learn it pretty well if you want a good grade in Calc II. If you just want to barely pass Calc II, that's another story Smile

Linear Algebra is usually not taken until after Calc II, but some LA classes rely on Calculus knowledge a lot more than others. Basically, some have Calc as a prerequisite and some don't. I've seen some programs state that you need a Calculus-based LA, or they look at the description of the course to see if it was better LA.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • tesu-acct-student
Depends on the Calc II class. If it starts with a short review of Calc I topics, you should be ok. If it dives right into Calc II topics, then you may have some issues.
TESU - BSBA: CIS - Dec '17

TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics COSC Cornerstone, Software Engineering Straighterline Business Ethics

Next:
  Related classes at local CC and various Cybersecurity certifications.

Old username:  ajs1976
[-] The following 1 user Likes ajs1976a's post:
  • tesu-acct-student
I am also somewhat curious about this. I'm working on study.com calculus 1 right now(hopefully it goes well) but then I also need calc 2. Not sure where I will take it, though if I have to go through my school (tesu) or find an alternative credit provider for that. More than likely, I will need more advanced math afterwards for a graduate program.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 2 users Like MNomadic's post:
  • tesu-acct-student, Yenisei
You can take it at TESU, Straighterline, Wescott, or a community college (e.g., Oakton).

EDIT: I guess the doctoral programs in accounting require some programming, maybe for ERP systems or analytics. That's the only reason I can think of for requiring Calc II and LA.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Yenisei's post:
  • tesu-acct-student
Related question: if I do the CLEPS, should I bank the CLEP credits at TESU? I'm not sure how that works for somebody who already graduated from there.
BSBA/Accounting TESU (2016). MSA UIUC (2018).

Need help with portfolios? I earned 18 credits at TESU through portfolio evaluations. Nine of those were for upper level accounting courses. My advice for PLA/portfolios: TESU portfolio tips The first post has the Portfolio Checklist I created. Page ten has the actual narrative I wrote to receive credit for ACC-440.

Using Straighterline's Financial Accounting as a substitute for TESU's Intermediate Accounting I? Don't do it if you are an accounting major and/or want your CPA license. They are not the same course and I think TESU has erred in accepting the SL course as Intermediate I. I made this discovery here: Intermediate Accounting II.
My feeling is that taking Calc I cemented my algebra skills. After that, I could simplify or solve any algebra or trig problem that could be thrown at me. I would be loath to skip that experience. I'd take Calc I and II at community college, if possible.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • tesu-acct-student
Now that you have all this information, go through some calculus textbooks to get a feel for what you might need. Then talk to someone who has actually taken this course. This last suggestion you might not like - talk to someone who teaches it. Might also be hard, but that will give you great insight. It would not serve you to feel inadequate in Calc II. Also, the others might be older students who have taken Calc I and then come here. Remember not to miss the first few classes if you are taking Calc II directly. There might be some sort of Calc I overview which you might find helpful. Hope this helps.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Calculus 3 - Need A Source dharmastudios 21 3,733 03-08-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 175 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  College Algebra no Proctor smilingtimes 11 2,262 09-04-2023, 07:59 PM
Last Post: QuickDegree223
  5 Random Questions [LOR, Pell, SNHU, etc] omicreativedev 5 743 01-07-2023, 04:03 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Questions midnite123 18 1,264 12-12-2022, 02:52 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Sophia.org Questions midnite123 37 2,638 09-20-2022, 06:32 PM
Last Post: midnite123
  Coopersmith - Course questions disney_day_dreamer 2 757 07-12-2022, 04:46 PM
Last Post: disney_day_dreamer
  5 Questions to Answer When Creating a Positive Online Presence for College Acceptance LevelUP 0 416 03-19-2022, 02:55 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  HSE questions Celiics 9 1,270 10-31-2021, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Celiics
  Coopersmith Linear Algebra udi 8 2,467 08-06-2021, 01:53 AM
Last Post: StudentOLife