Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions about Pretoria's theology dept.
Hello, everyone. I'm in a slightly unusual position. I've already graduated from undergrad and then law school, and am now a practicing attorney. (So I can't take years off work to study full-time.) However, I always wanted to gain a deeper understanding of Biblical history.

Ultimately, I would love to work part-time toward a doctoral degree in theology, Biblical studies, or a related field.

When reading through these forums, I noticed the University of Pretoria's program mentioned as an inexpensive doctoral option with good faculty. Its doctoral program did seem to allow many students to learn from a distance.

Unfortunately, it looks like I'd have to start from the ground up. My undergraduate degrees were in political science, anthropology, and history rather than religious studies, and the doctoral program requires both a bachelor's and master's in a field related to theology.

So I suppose my questions are:

1) Does Pretoria permit distance learning for its undergraduate and master's degrees as preliminaries to the doctoral program?
2) How much do the undergraduate and master's programs cost?
3) Can an international student get any kind of cost-reduction if they're ultimately working on the undergrad/masters degrees as a way to get to the theology doctorate?

Ultimately, these would be questions I'd have to discuss with Pretoria. But I'd hoped that someone else familiar with them might be able to give me preliminary guidance.

Thanks!
The degree info forums are a bit more focused on graduate programs and I know that there are some experts in this area there.

DegreeInfo Distance Learning - online degree forum
eriehiker Wrote:The degree info forums are a bit more focused on graduate programs and I know that there are some experts in this area there.

DegreeInfo Distance Learning - online degree forum

Further to this, you may want to look into UNISA as they're more well known for distance education in South Africa.

The ones best to answer your questions in regards to the Pretoria program, are the staff at Pretoria.

You can shoot off an email to them just by copying/pasting what you have already to an email.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I can't remember the prerequisites, but the South African Theological Seminary is cheap. You can also look into getting a masters at Nations University and then transferring to Liberty University or another school for an online doctoral program.

Doctoral programs aren't really meant for someone who has no academic or professional background in a subject. Doctoral programs are definitely not the place to start to gain a deeper understanding of a subject.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I was going to recommend Nations University as well. It's very inexpensive and self-paced. They will accept you into the Master's program no matter what your prior degrees are in. You can transfer those credits to Liberty.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UK Level 7/8 Diploma Questions bennyoftheD 22 2,257 03-10-2024, 02:20 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Questions for UofPeople and Liberty University graduates Randyb100 9 1,517 02-20-2024, 06:06 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  ENEB MASTERS Accreditation, Questions Sara143 10 1,620 02-20-2024, 02:33 PM
  ENEB & Mexican PhD Questions Lorvey 17 2,656 12-13-2023, 12:27 PM
  Free Graduate Theology/Computer Science Course: 5 ECTS: U of Turku eriehiker 0 677 04-30-2021, 08:14 PM
Last Post: eriehiker
  PsyD / Masters in Psychology questions Ben2020 4 970 02-17-2021, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Supermind
  Nashotah House Theological Seminary: Free Course: The Bible & Theology in Color eriehiker 2 983 06-22-2020, 07:36 PM
Last Post: eriehiker
  Self-Paced Masters, Micro Masters, and Portfolio Credit Questions retro 2 1,508 11-06-2019, 04:32 PM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  WGU MSCSIA Questions ChilliDawg 6 2,169 05-24-2019, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  WGU's Accounting Masters Program Questions and General WGU Questions Synicaal 2 1,863 05-25-2017, 08:53 AM
Last Post: Synicaal