Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quickest Study.com Courses
What are the quickest study.com courses to complete and how much time should one dedicate per week to complete a course with them? Also, do most of you take notes while watching the videos?
Btaylor89 Wrote:What are the quickest study.com courses to complete and how much time should one dedicate per week to complete a course with them? Also, do most of you take notes while watching the videos?

I usually don't recommend doing the "easiest/fastest" courses, as most of those are not related to a degree that I would go for.
My recommendation is to check your spreadsheet with courses you need to complete with the offerings that are available.

For me, I am only going to use Study.com for Upper Level credit courses, I think I'll go with their 3 month (20% off) for that.
Any other subsequent upper level course, I'll just take as an extra exam for $70 each 3 credit course/exam.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I don't watch most of the videos- instead I read the lessons. Occasionally getting a vidual is helpful. But the pace is too slow on some videos. And a lot of time the information repeats in the videos. It is faster to read the transcripts. Definitely a yes to taking notes- couldn't do it without notes.

As far as quickest- depends on a few things. If there is a subject you already know a lot about you are going to get through the information quicker. It got through Health 101 pretty fast, basically skimming the lessons. The Education 101, 103, 104 and 105 just don't have as much content as some courses. They could potentially be faster. Courses like English Literature 101 require essays and a lot of reading, these will probably take longer.
Credit Sources:
Guilford Technical Community College (59)
U.S Army Training
ALEKS
Study.com
Straighterline
Shmoop
DSST
UExcel
OakLakeNC Wrote:I don't watch most of the videos- instead I read the lessons. Occasionally getting a vidual is helpful. But the pace is too slow on some videos. And a lot of time the information repeats in the videos. It is faster to read the transcripts. Definitely a yes to taking notes- couldn't do it without notes.

As far as quickest- depends on a few things. If there is a subject you already know a lot about you are going to get through the information quicker. It got through Health 101 pretty fast, basically skimming the lessons. The Education 101, 103, 104 and 105 just don't have as much content as some courses. They could potentially be faster. Courses like English Literature 101 require essays and a lot of reading, these will probably take longer.

Could you please tell me which study.com courses were approved with EC? I'm looking at your Signature line and I see you have 87/120 to complete with EC...I'm exactly in the same place. Also, what did EC accept with Straighterline?
As far as I know, as long as the course is ACE approved, all Study.com and Straighterline credits are accepted at Excelsior. Now if you are looking to have something fulfill a specific requirement, then you need to get it approved first.
Credit Sources:
Guilford Technical Community College (59)
U.S Army Training
ALEKS
Study.com
Straighterline
Shmoop
DSST
UExcel
Effective September 1, 2016, Excelsior announced that they will accept alternate credit options according to the ACE recommendations regarding upper and lower level credit, and only with Pass/ Fail grades.

Straighterline has no upper level credit and Study.com has two courses (Advanced Operations Management and Advanced Technical Writing).

The DSSTs that still count for ACE-approved upper level credit are listed below with relevant dates in parentheses.
A History of the Vietnam War 3UL (3LL if taken before 10/31/2013)
Business Ethics and Society 3UL
Criminal Justice 6LL (3UL before 12/31/2012)
Environment and Humanity 3LL (3UL before 6/30/2014)
Ethics in America 3LL (3UL before 12/31/2015)
Fundamentals of Cybersecurity 3UL
History of the Soviet Union 3UL
Introduction to Law Enforcement 3UL
Introduction to World Religions 3LL (3UL before 12/31/2015)
Money and Banking 3UL
Principles of Finance 3UL
Substance Abuse 3UL
The Civil War and Reconstruction 3UL
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
OakLakeNC Wrote:As far as I know, as long as the course is ACE approved, all Study.com and Straighterline credits are accepted at Excelsior. Now if you are looking to have something fulfill a specific requirement, then you need to get it approved first.

Is this the same for Thomas Edison? I know that they have a transfer page but can you take any of them even if they aren't on the transfer page as long as they aren't for a specific requirement?
gremlinbrawler Wrote:Is this the same for Thomas Edison? I know that they have a transfer page but can you take any of them even if they aren't on the transfer page as long as they aren't for a specific requirement?

Yes. The transfer page is pretty comprehensive though.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Btaylor89 Wrote:What are the quickest study.com courses to complete and how much time should one dedicate per week to complete a course with them? Also, do most of you take notes while watching the videos?

Of course it depends on your proficiency at different subjects but a quick way to compare the course load is to look at how may lessons each course has. 115-150 seems typical but some are as low as 70 and some as high as 250+.
Has anyone tried Studys UL courses? How difficult are they? What is the homework like? If any. Im looking into taking Advanced Techinical Writing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 371 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 39,280 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,471 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,610 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,789 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 600 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,391 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 6 545 03-03-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 327 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 967 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat