Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Random observation about online grad studies
Just a quick question: How important do you gals/guys think a LOR is? For schools/institutions and getting accepted into programs, it might be beneficial.
For me, I've never had to actually get an LOR, not even for work... Even though I don't jump ship that often, I don't think there's a real need for it yet...
Furthermore, I'm too big on the ego thing, :coolgleam: I think I've got my head up my... thoughts... yeah! that I don't think it's necessary as I am the "man" for the job!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
bjcheung77 Wrote:Just a quick question: How important do you gals/guys think a LOR is? For schools/institutions and getting accepted into programs, it might be beneficial.
For me, I've never had to actually get an LOR, not even for work... Even though I don't jump ship that often, I don't think there's a real need for it yet...
Furthermore, I'm too big on the ego thing, :coolgleam: I think I've got my head up my... thoughts... yeah! that I don't think it's necessary as I am the "man" for the job!

Excuse my French, but I think it's a pain in the ass. Like many things, it probably just makes the company/college feel good about themselves that they've required you to get one. Everyone that has ever written me a letter was asked by me- and duh, I'm not going to pick someone that thinks my works is "average" or that I "might be ok" for the job lol. Clearly I picked people that I knew thought of me as a rock star. Even when I've been asked to write a letter for culinary students (and the occasional friend of a friend) I say as many nice things as I can about the person. It's a waste of time. I think you can tell more about a person spending 5 minutes looking through their Facebook photos. Wink Now THERE'S some insight.
cookderosa Wrote:I think you can tell more about a person spending 5 minutes looking through their Facebook photos. Wink Now THERE'S some insight.

100% true, and why all of my social media profiles are on private lockdown Wink
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Don't fret about letters of recommendation too much - in most cases, they're not super-important. Having a glowing recommendation with a lot of specific examples of awesome things you've done can be helpful if you're applying to a very competitive program or a juicy scholarship/assistantship, though. Plus, those kinds of letters feel good to read!

A lot of schools will cut you some slack if you're having a problem with your letters of recommendation - if you've mostly taken nontraditional classes, or if a recommender is unresponsive for a while. Don't be afraid to think outside the box if you know a "non-academic" teacher who knows you well.
Course clear! You got a card.

Analyzing & Interpreting Literature 72|American Government 71|Introductory Sociology 63|Humanities 70|College Composition 60|U.S. History II 67|Principles of Marketing 73|Principles of Macroeconomics 67|Principles of Microeconomics 66|U.S. History I 74|College Mathematics 68|Information Systems & Computer Applications 68|College Algebra 56|Biology 63|Financial Accounting 65

B.A.S. IT Management, Class of 2015
MBA, Class of 2017
jsd Wrote:100% true, and why all of my social media profiles are on private lockdown Wink

ahhhh.....which begs the question.....what is jsd hiding? Tongue
Oh no, I've said too much!!
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Exfactor Wrote:People choose for-profits because they offer:

No GRE.
Fast course enrollment.
Fast/easy financial aid process.

The For-Profits hold your hand to get you in classes. With Non-Profits you are on your own. However, I'm now seeing more non-profits not requiring the GRE.

:iagree: The entrance requirements (GRE vs no GRE) is often a factor. And the hand-holding is a HUGE factor, IMO.
Associate in Arts - Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities - Thomas Edison State University
pursuing Master's degree, Applied Linguistics - Universidad Antonio de Nebrija

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 32 18,600 4 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Gardner-Webb University: 10-12 month online MBA? PaperAssistant 7 314 04-18-2024, 10:33 PM
  nitstharya - Grad School Top Up Recommendation nitstharya 1 188 04-10-2024, 04:23 PM
  New Zealand Online Degrees doyouhowdo1 1 363 03-31-2024, 10:46 AM
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 644 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Czech 100% online MBA and DBA for 3k/5k David1477 7 551 03-25-2024, 08:34 PM
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 716 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 404 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Master's in Security Management CBE Online Jeff7 8 598 02-27-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
Question Cheapest online master's degree in *anything?* profstudent 26 4,939 02-18-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: ITdegree