Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Random observation about online grad studies
sanantone Wrote:One group did attend a community college, but they failed needed courses, such as college algebra and English comp, or couldn't get through the remedial courses.
Some non-profits, such as SNHU, have adopted the aggressive marketing practices of for-profits.

I am seeing the above right now. I cannot talk one of my friends out of an overpriced fake not-for-profit that has a MOU with the county employer and on-site at the employer. I'm sure the sales rep at the non-profit school did a really good job. Of course he failed the required intermediate algebra at the community college multiple times and believes it will be higher quality instruction through the overpriced fake not-for-profit rather than at the local state university. I'm sure the graduation rate will be important in whether or not the MOU is extended, so I suspect he will finally "pass" algebra 2 with a "generous" instructor at the overpriced on-site class.

Worse, he is one of the special snowflakes that could use an AA in business at the employer for a promotion, but he won't continue that at the community college. Most likely due to the intermediate algebra wall.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
There are also many companies that have partnerships with For-Profits. A relative of mine received his R.N at the local community college, but was able to get his Bachelors, Masters in Nursing and an M.B.A. from the University of Phoenix which promoted him to become a teaching nurse at the University of Florida. Another relative became an executive with just an associates degree at one of the largest health care companies in the country, and had her bachelors paid for by the company through their partnership with Strayer University. She's currently making more money than those with M.B.A.'s from state schools with just a bachelors from a For-Profit.
That's good. Some people going to for-profits already have a career. I'd have to find it, but there was an article posted on the other forum that discussed a study on pay. Those who attended for-profits made less than those who attended community colleges for similar programs. It might have more to do with the student than the quality of education or reputation of the school, though. While some companies have partnerships, on average, those graduating from for-profits have more debt than those who attend state universities or private, non-profit universities even though private, non-profit universities cost more than for-profits. Private, non-profit universities tend to be more generous with aid.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
dfrecore Wrote:...
"A Grade Point Average (GPA) of “B” (3.0) or better in the last 60 graded semester units, from a WASC-equivalent university. Only regular courses from four-year colleges and/or universities will be used in calculating an applicant’s GPA—no extension courses or community college courses will be included."

So for anyone who tested out of their BA/BS, they are going to have a hard time being accepted into this program. I couldn't get in, because my GPA at 4-yr colleges only is 2.6 (one terrible year and a half out of high school with a 1.9 GPA, and then a great couple of years 10 years after that, with a 3.5 GPA. So I would have to take 5 courses at a 4-year college and get all A's in order to raise my GPA up enough to apply to this school - and that only puts me at 51cr total, so I'm not certain if I would have to take 3 more courses/9cr to get to the 60cr. Ouch!
Did you actually apply? These types of requirements are not always set in stone. You might well get in with your current record.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
My largest frustration with most application requirements (as a self-paced student) is the letter of recommendation requirement. I understand the reasoning behind it, but it's so frustrating! I'm a professional worker and I've only had a couple of managers during my career, so I can really only use 1 reference from there. I've had no teachers in any recent classes. Currently, I'm trying to make connections to professors that I really don't need assistance from in hopes of obtaining a LOR.

Is this a requirement that's waived? I've never really heard of a school dropping this one, no matter how much it doesn't make sense.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
davewill Wrote:Did you actually apply? These types of requirements are not always set in stone. You might well get in with your current record.

No - I don't actually want to go, I was just looking at the requirements. I can't see the benefit of spending the money, when I could get a perfectly good MBA through ENMU for 1/4 of the cost, and none of the hoops to jump through.

And, like I said in my post, the thought of 18 months of Saturdays being gone is NOT an option for me.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
mednat Wrote:My largest frustration with most application requirements (as a self-paced student) is the letter of recommendation requirement. I understand the reasoning behind it, but it's so frustrating! I'm a professional worker and I've only had a couple of managers during my career, so I can really only use 1 reference from there. I've had no teachers in any recent classes. Currently, I'm trying to make connections to professors that I really don't need assistance from in hopes of obtaining a LOR.

Is this a requirement that's waived? I've never really heard of a school dropping this one, no matter how much it doesn't make sense.

I learned to not be afraid to ask any instructor for an LOR. Most see it as their duty and will write one even if they barely remember you. It helps to let them know the grade you received in the course and to send them a resume.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
mednat Wrote:My largest frustration with most application requirements (as a self-paced student) is the letter of recommendation requirement. I understand the reasoning behind it, but it's so frustrating! I'm a professional worker and I've only had a couple of managers during my career, so I can really only use 1 reference from there. I've had no teachers in any recent classes. Currently, I'm trying to make connections to professors that I really don't need assistance from in hopes of obtaining a LOR.

I have a similar frustration. The LOR requirement may not necessarily be waived, but you can always ask for alternative people to write it for you- you just have to make a strong case as to why they also serve the purpose the university needs. Also, you can amp it up a little and give them more than they want.
Perfect example- I needed a healthcare employer LOR back when I was applying to nursing schools. I didn't work in healthcare (I was a culinary arts teacher at the time) but I was volunteering at a clinic every week, so I made a case for my volunteer coordinator to write the letter. They said it was fine, and she did. (I was accepted to that program)
My oldest used his 8+ year karate teacher as a "teacher" for a scholarship he applied to. They specifically wanted an academic teacher (he is homeschooled- so there were no other teachers besides me) but we submitted the karate teacher's letter along with the assistant karate teacher's letter and he received the scholarship.
cookderosa Wrote:I have a similar frustration. The LOR requirement may not necessarily be waived, but you can always ask for alternative people to write it for you- you just have to make a strong case as to why they also serve the purpose the university needs. Also, you can amp it up a little and give them more than they want.
Perfect example- I needed a healthcare employer LOR back when I was applying to nursing schools. I didn't work in healthcare (I was a culinary arts teacher at the time) but I was volunteering at a clinic every week, so I made a case for my volunteer coordinator to write the letter. They said it was fine, and she did. (I was accepted to that program)
My oldest used his 8+ year karate teacher as a "teacher" for a scholarship he applied to. They specifically wanted an academic teacher (he is homeschooled- so there were no other teachers besides me) but we submitted the karate teacher's letter along with the assistant karate teacher's letter and he received the scholarship.

Definitely had not considered expanding my range of sources. I'll give that a try!
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
mednat Wrote:Definitely had not considered expanding my range of sources. I'll give that a try!

Another surprising (to me) source was my exam proctor. I wrote about it here:
http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...post163185
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 29 18,323 Yesterday, 10:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Gardner-Webb University: 10-12 month online MBA? PaperAssistant 7 292 04-18-2024, 10:33 PM
  nitstharya - Grad School Top Up Recommendation nitstharya 1 184 04-10-2024, 04:23 PM
  New Zealand Online Degrees doyouhowdo1 1 359 03-31-2024, 10:46 AM
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 639 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Czech 100% online MBA and DBA for 3k/5k David1477 7 548 03-25-2024, 08:34 PM
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 697 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 396 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Master's in Security Management CBE Online Jeff7 8 595 02-27-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
Question Cheapest online master's degree in *anything?* profstudent 26 4,897 02-18-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: ITdegree