Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reading through this board for cheap grad schools but don't see MITx or Coursera???
(12-03-2022, 10:40 PM)sanantone Wrote: Coursera and edX programs have been discussed a lot on this forum. I don't find Micromasters or Mastertrack programs to be attractive if they only transfer into expensive schools. Plus, admission is not always guaranteed, so the certificates are worthless if you can't get into the program you planned to transfer to. What I consider cheap is less than $15,000 for the entire degree program. Unless you're in the MBA program, FHSU is less than $11,000 for a 36-credit master's degree. Harvard Extension doesn't offer an MBA.

The best and cheapest degrees offered via Coursera and edX don't utilize Mastertrack or Micromaster certificates. Also, some of these programs you can transfer into are not 100% online, so you have to factor in the cost of traveling and staying at a hotel or Airbnb.
I went through quite a few of them and ASU/other state schools are much cheaper. ASU's comp sci MS is 15k minus whatever you pay for the fasttrack. The Ivies especially are expensive, but still a LOT less expensive than I thought they'd be. They're doable just with grad loans. It matters to a lot of people because of the prestige. The Penn comp sci seemed very interesting. It was made for non-IT majors and basically had open enrollment, but cones with a huge price tag.
TCC - AAS in Information Technology 2015
TCC - AAS in IT, Website Management 2015
Coursera - IBM Cybersecurity Analyst Certificate, April 2023
TESU - Bachelor of Arts in Computer Science (114 out of 120 credit hours)
Eastern University or A-State or UT - Austin - Something Artificial Intelligence related most likely
Sorry for the double post but I can't edit my last one.

I did find a ton of universities in Texas that have very low tuition (especially in-state, which is why I'm looking). Lamar.edu is one, but a lot of the UT and TAM universities offer fully online programs with fairly lax entry requirements. MBAs often require a pre-MBA for non-business students, but the GPA requirements are usually 2.5 and no references or test scores required.

They're all priced around $12,000, which seems to be the magic number for grad programs. I'm looking at Texas because I'm a current resident and could qualify for additional state grants, although I don't know if this will end up being cheaper than Eastern.edu's $9900 flat rate flexible program. Lamar's MS in MIS is $12,630 all included, minus whatever Texas and federal grants I can get like TSEOG. It might be 10k or so afterwards.

This is still compared to Coursera and Edx offerings, where 15-18k can get me a master's from ASU. EdX and Boston University is around 18k for an MBA. I'm sure there's more. Not that huge of a price jump compared to 50k+ tuition at many universities, and it will look a lot better on resume.
Eastern University or A-State or UT - Austin - Something Artificial Intelligence related most likely
HAU has an MBA for $3000.
(12-04-2022, 01:14 PM)ss20ts Wrote: HAU has an MBA for $3000.

Can you give me a link? I thought it was $14,000.
(12-04-2022, 01:31 PM)Randyb100 Wrote:

https://mba.hauniv.edu/
(12-04-2022, 01:42 PM)Pats20 Wrote:
(12-04-2022, 01:31 PM)Randyb100 Wrote:

https://mba.hauniv.edu/

Ah ok. I see that it says for the time being, it's $3000 for US citizens. They don't have any federal loan information, though. I found a military scholarship for $4000 but literally no information about their accredidation or getting financial aid, whereas I could go to Eastern.edu and get $16k back each year I attend.

I'm doing more searching and found Amberton, which has all master's degrees for 10k, and has a lot more to offer than Eastern.edu does. So yeah, I'll just keep searching. Please feel free to delete this thread because it's basically useless.
(12-04-2022, 05:11 AM)Randyb100 Wrote:
(12-03-2022, 10:40 PM)sanantone Wrote: Coursera and edX programs have been discussed a lot on this forum. I don't find Micromasters or Mastertrack programs to be attractive if they only transfer into expensive schools. Plus, admission is not always guaranteed, so the certificates are worthless if you can't get into the program you planned to transfer to. What I consider cheap is less than $15,000 for the entire degree program. Unless you're in the MBA program, FHSU is less than $11,000 for a 36-credit master's degree. Harvard Extension doesn't offer an MBA.

The best and cheapest degrees offered via Coursera and edX don't utilize Mastertrack or Micromaster certificates. Also, some of these programs you can transfer into are not 100% online, so you have to factor in the cost of traveling and staying at a hotel or Airbnb.
I went through quite a few of them and ASU/other state schools are much cheaper. ASU's comp sci MS is 15k minus whatever you pay for the fasttrack. The Ivies especially are expensive, but still a LOT less expensive than I thought they'd be. They're doable just with grad loans. It matters to a lot of people because of the prestige. The Penn comp sci seemed very interesting. It was made for non-IT majors and basically had open enrollment, but cones with a huge price tag.

We've had threads on UPenn's MS in Computer and Information Technology. We've had threads on almost all the online Ivy Plus programs because there weren't that many at first. The UPenn program was started years ago, so that's probably why you didn't see a thread. 

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...u-bachelor

Below is the thread I created over three years ago on the MasterTrack certificates. 

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...asterTrack

My MicroMasters thread from 2016, but there are also more recent ones. 

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...s-programs
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • Randyb100
Probably why, sorry. That's why I said just delete this thread because it's basically useless. I doubt there's much new info and it basically became me just rambling about cheap grad programs. I found Eastern and Amberton, both ~$10k with federal funding and easy entry requirements, so I'll probably go that route anyway.
(12-03-2022, 02:45 PM)Randyb100 Wrote: https://micromasters.mit.edu/

https://www.coursera.org/mastertrack

https://www.edx.org/micromasters

You basically take a course or two and then it counts as an admissions requirement to several universities. ASU, Yale, even Harvard (Extension) all accept them and use them as a basis for their masters programs. I was looking at the supply chain management degree at Rutger's, for example. 

The MITx micromasters in supply chain management certificate is currently $1524, and is a requirement for ASU's master's in supply chain management. It costs $18000 and requires the MITx micromasters to enroll at this rate, but there are several other universities that accept it as graduate credit.

I do want to mention that this program: https://micromasters.mit.edu/dedp/ has some sort of income-based cost for courses at MIT and are as low as $250 per credit hour. That's for an MIT degree.

It seems like a fast way to get into a highly ranked school, although the tuition rate is going to be pretty high. Grad loans will give you 60k or so, which is far beyond the cost of any of these programs, but you won't have much breathing room when it comes to personal finances. 

I'm trying to do something like this so I can actually live comfortably while studying. Getting 10-12k per year in loans while attending would really help.

I'm also looking at Concord Law, which is very cheap at ~$12,500 each year. They also give scholarships to LSAT takers with decent scores.

I made this thread because I don't see hardly anything on the wiki regarding this. Everything is undergrad only, especially when talking about testing out of courses. I just thought I'd mention MITx and Coursera because they will make getting a degree that much more affordable, and from a decent college.
DEDP courses are now $350 a piece minimum and thats if you paid for the full program before. I did. I paid for the MITX DEDP program for 1000 dollars but didn't finish because I was going to use it for Harvard Extension but got in the traditional way anyway. Figure may use it for a MIT degree but a few months ago they did change the payment structure, so even though I paid 1K, now I have to pay 350 per class on top of it. Just saying.
Harvard Extension School- HESA President- 2024
O.P. Jindal Global University- MA in International Relations, Security, and Strategy- In Prog.
Harvard Uni-Ext. School- ALM in English- In Prog., Cert. in American Lit. and Culture- May 2024
Harvard Uni- Kennedy School of Gov.- PLC- Public Leadership Credential- 01/2023
Bottega Uni- MBA-Feb. 2022
Kennesaw State Uni- BA English-Dec. 2021
Charter Oak State College- BS/AS Psychology- 2013
(12-04-2022, 02:21 PM)Randyb100 Wrote: Ah ok. I see that it says for the time being, it's $3000 for US citizens. They don't have any federal loan information, though.

They don't participate in federal loans. They are accredited by NECHE (https://hauniv.edu/about/accreditation). What's your goal? I might have missed it in the thread. Are you looking for the cheapest program, the cheapest from a "good" (whatever that means to you) school, or the cheapest from a "known" (whatever that means to you) school?

If you want the straight cheapest, HAU is the one. I've posted my thoughts previously on them. Eastern was another one I was considering, as were Walden and WGU. Those are in the cheapest range, in my opinion.

Cheapest from a good school and cheapest from a known school weren't on my list, so I can't really help you there, but there's absolutely a bunch of threads on here and on the sister site, degreeinfo.com.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 31 18,470 6 hours ago
Last Post: walruspanda
  nitstharya - Grad School Top Up Recommendation nitstharya 1 185 04-10-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Graduate Schools that accept the most transfer credits sanantone 66 16,040 04-09-2024, 03:21 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 401 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Discerning dubious from legit foreign schools rachel83az 19 5,466 03-14-2024, 06:20 PM
Last Post: Ebbwvale
  Coursera Illinois Tech MBA Vle045 8 2,533 03-08-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
Thumbs Up Will graduate schools in the United States and abroad accept an online college degree shoron 47 6,674 01-15-2024, 11:18 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Article bashes Harvard Extension ALM Grad smartdegree 50 8,560 12-25-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  European Grad Studies Abroad: Cost of Living vs Low Tuition Fees bjcheung77 7 1,444 12-23-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  CU Boulder Masters on Coursera spohara 14 4,759 11-06-2023, 11:42 AM
Last Post: spohara