Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ready to start
First off, my background;
I've been out of school now for the better part of 2 decades, I dropped out of school when I was 16 and started working , I went and took my GED test when I was 20 as a business I worked for required a diploma. I have a great job in management and I enjoy what I do, however, I worry about my limited education and my families future if anything were to happen in my current career. I will have to balance this between my family and work as I will be working full time while I attempt this.

I am ready to take the plunge and start learning again and I decided I want to get my Bachelors in Business Management, I've been reading posts and the wiki from this site for the past few weeks trying to prime myself. I decided that I wanted to get my BSBA at TESU, so I downloaded the spreadsheet that is available and signed up for ALEKS to start refreshing my math and boy do I need it.

Anyways I have a few questions;

Is the BSBA spreadsheet up to date as far as courses and credits go?
What does Intro to Psychology (change to 3 credit SL course) mean under C?
Is the KAPLAN PLA still available for free?
Why are MAN-371 and BUS-421 highlighted yellow?
Besides the Math is there a recommended starting point? I currently registered with Saylor to start taking courses.
Are there any courses that people recommend taking together or at the same time as the information might be easier or quicker to learn?

Sorry if this information has been posted here before, thanks for all of the great resources and information contained in the site.

Nice to meet you all, thanks in advance.
Personally I don't think the PLA is the easiest or most economical way to go. The course might be free but to get the portfolios evaluated it is 1,500. You are also looking at having to create the portfolios. From what I've gathered, those are usually 10 to 25 pages. Plus your documentation. Remember they are based on education not experiences. If you are familiar with the business world I would suggest knocking out business tests through CLEP, DSST, ECE, etc... *edit..It looks like the Kaplan course is still available to take but has expired for ACE. I definitely wouldn't waste time on it if you can't even get the three credits.

Slayor is good and cheap. ALEKS is good for math too- under $20 with the coupon code that was just posted. Shmoop is another place to check out. I would start with the credits everyone needs- Math, English, Science, Soical Science, etc... That is just me. You might want to start with business tests.
show Wrote:First off, my background;
Is the BSBA spreadsheet up to date as far as courses and credits go?
What does Intro to Psychology (change to 3 credit SL course) mean under C?
Is the KAPLAN PLA still available for free?
Why are MAN-371 and BUS-421 highlighted yellow?
Besides the Math is there a recommended starting point? I currently registered with Saylor to start taking courses.
Are there any courses that people recommend taking together or at the same time as the information might be easier or quicker to learn?

Sorry if this information has been posted here before, thanks for all of the great resources and information contained in the site.

Nice to meet you all, thanks in advance.

Hey, and welcome! I'm new here too, but I'm happy to help out with what (little) I know.

1) What spreadsheet are you looking at? What thread/link did you get it from?
2) It probably means you can use any 3 credit Straighterline course. I assume it's in a Gen Ed. section? At this point you could probably replace it with a Shmoop course or some other option.
3) For TESU, they have a PLA option, but unless it's going to get you unique upper-level courses it's probably not worth it.
4) I don't know.
5) If you've been out of learning a long time, I'd recommend starting free/cheap. http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...llege.html <= Some (very little) outdated info, but a lot of good stuff.
6) Yes, but I don't know what they are.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
The spreadsheet is one of my older ones, it's not completely updated.

Kaplan PLA is a free course that used to be ACE-recommended for 3cr. The course may still be there, but it's no longer available for credit, so delete that.

MAN-371 and BUS-421 were highlighted because I was showing that the best place to take them was through TECEP's. MAN-371 is now best taken through Study.com (it's MAN-372 but same difference), but BUS-421 is required to be taken through TESU, either as a TECEP, or as a course.

The main changes to the spreadsheet:

1) There are a bunch of Saylor courses on it, and I removed those because I heard mostly bad things about Saylor courses (too much info, hard to take it all in and get a passing grade on the exam), so I removed those

2) The old spreadsheet doesn't include Shmoop courses

3) It doesn't include Study.com courses, of which you for sure want to add MAN-372 & FIN-301 in the Core, and MAR-441 in the AOS.

Here is the good place to start looking at what this forum is all about: http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...llege.html
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I read over that other thread, some of the information is dated as it still talks about using saylor as well.

Do you know what the equivalent courses on schmoop would be to replace the saylor courses?

Also what do you recommend replacing the kap credits with?

Did you make un updated spreadsheet that you could send out?

Many thanks.
show Wrote:I read over that other thread, some of the information is dated as it still talks about using saylor as well.

Do you know what the equivalent courses on schmoop would be to replace the saylor courses?

Also what do you recommend replacing the kap credits with?

Did you make un updated spreadsheet that you could send out?

Many thanks.

Saylor is still perfectly good, not outdated at all.

We don't have Schmoop equivalencies yet, but they don't have exact courses to replace the Saylor ones. No business, science, PoliSci, etc. Shmoop has some History and some Math courses, that's all.

I'm not making an updated spreadsheet, since mostly I do customized ones. Trying to do a generic, updated spreadsheet is hard - I'd have to update it constantly.

Better for people to understand more about what fits in the different slots and ask for a little guidance than to ask for a spreadsheet they don't really understand.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad Does anyone else hate waiting for the next term to start? fromthedepths 9 772 06-26-2023, 02:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  When does six months for TADA start? natshar 2 629 03-06-2023, 06:32 AM
Last Post: xianbd
  Free access to job ready Coursera certs cardiacclep 22 3,969 06-28-2022, 06:53 AM
Last Post: sayazop
  New to this, where to start? saskgui 9 1,505 08-25-2021, 02:44 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
Information I need an online, RA, 3 sem unit, CHEAP course with an OPEN start date. vanglorious 12 2,413 05-15-2020, 08:49 PM
Last Post: natshar
  WHERE TO START FROM Bahadar 3 1,535 10-22-2019, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Any "Start From Scratch" members willing to share their journey? Idreamofadegree 23 4,828 07-05-2019, 08:55 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  I really need some help on where to start Lifewillbegood 4 1,526 02-26-2019, 09:04 AM
Last Post: allvia
  Am I ready for my CLEP tests? Jenniferinfl 21 3,798 01-30-2019, 10:43 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  Overwhelmed Newbie! Where to start? CiggyTardust 15 3,246 01-08-2019, 11:05 AM
Last Post: mysonx3