Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Residency waiver fee payment means no cornerstone (TESU)
nnahh Wrote:TESU isn't consistent on this matter. I have an email from advising saying the since I was on the 2016 catalog this course wasn't required, but I'm seeing everyone here saying it was required for that catalog if you didn't apply by a certain date in May. (Which I didn't)

It was announced as being required after May, but they didn't finalize it on the website until sometime in June/July, so it seems to have been a manual entry for a month or two, based on a couple people I talked into enrolling in June. One enrolled the first week, and it's on his eval, the other enrolled the second week and appears to be scot free. It might also have been based on which internal school you fall under, as the first is doing a BA/CS, and the second a BSBA/ACC
Pursuing TESC BSBA CIS: ~100/120

CCAF Air & Space Operations Technology: April 2014

CLEP: Humanities, A&I Lit, SocSci & History, Intro Sociology, English Comp, Freshman College Comp, Principles of Management, History of the US I/II, Intro to Computing

DSST: InfoSys & Comp Apps, Intro to the Modern Middle East, Management Information Systems, Fundamentals of Cybersecurity, Human Resource Management, Principles of Supervision, Western Europe since 1945

AMU: Public Speaking, History of Explosive Ordnance Disposal, College Algebra

ALS (CCAF): Leadership/Management I, Managerial Communication I, Military Studies I

Sophia: Microeconomics

Straighterline: Accounting I/II

TECEP: English Comp I/II, Computer Concepts & Applications, Applied Liberal Arts Mathematics, Strategic Management (March 2017 Semester)

TESU OL: Python Programming (March 2017 Semester), Systems Analysis & Design I (March 2017 Semester)
dfrecore Wrote:Honestly, with the advising situation at TESU, I'm not taking the chance. If someone asks me for their advice, I will wholeheartedly tell them NOT to get the AA/AS at TESU. I don't care what happens, unless TESU posts it online in the catalog, I'm not going to tell someone to risk $2000 on this. It is NOT worth it.
ging their minds later and rescinding the rule? They just did with the cornerstone.

You all feel free to give whatever advice you'd like. But I would feel TERRIBLE if I gave someone this advice, and then they had to pay the money again to get their BA/BS. Seriously, I would be distraught if someone followed my advice and it cost them an extra $
And, even if you get something in writing, what's to stop them from chan2000.

I agree it's not worth it, but I would just let people know about that thread, and also tell them to e-mail TESU and confirm. In the event that TESU changes this, at least they have it in writing and won't have to pay the extra $2,000.
Nixi Wrote:I agree it's not worth it, but I would just let people know about that thread, and also tell them to e-mail TESU and confirm. In the event that TESU changes this, at least they have it in writing and won't have to pay the extra $2,000.

Again, I would not rely on an email from someone in advising on this. TESU could renege, and you could be out of luck without a huge fight - and even then, who knows how long it might take to resolve it. No thanks.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
GMT Wrote:If you are military, TECEPs still count for residency towards the Military Degree Completion Program.
They haven't been removed as yet, even though it doesn't state it on the website.

Thanks for this, as I was actually considering joining the Air National Guard!
dfrecore Wrote:Again, I would not rely on an email from someone in advising on this. TESU could renege, and you could be out of luck without a huge fight - and even then, who knows how long it might take to resolve it. No thanks.

I agree. Actually just about almost everything I was told in TESU's Academic Advising about policies/changes ended up being wrong, even though the info was given in writing. Very frustrating.
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
Toastmaster Wrote:Thanks for this, as I was actually considering joining the Air National Guard!

I wouldn't join the Air National Guard just to save around $1100, I'd be looking at the adventure instead, but that's just my opinion Smile

Taking the TECEPS is time consuming and to be honest I've considered (as others on this forum too) a bunch of times just coughing up the $2000 to waive doing the rest of them.

If you're wanting to join the military anyway, ensure you confirm with TESU that they're not just going to pull that rug as you enroll.

Contact the bursar, registrar, or the Learner Support Center.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
GMT Wrote:Taking the TECEPS is time consuming and to be honest I've considered (as others on this forum too) a bunch of times just coughing up the $2000 to waive doing the rest of them.

I've actually not heard anyone on this forum think that $2000 is a good trade off for that, but maybe I missed it somewhere.

If you're only looking at 5 TECEP's (or is it 8?), there are ones that aren't as time-consuming as others. First and foremost, you could always repeat any ones that you've already taken, which would not be time-consuming at all (since you already know the material, it's the exact opposite of time-consuming). There are also TECEP's that fit in with other things you're already studying for: Applied Math if you're taking ALEKS Intermediate Algebra, or Computers if you've studied for the Info Sys CLEP exam. Third, there are the TECEP's that you need for your degree anyway; if you need Microecon for your business degree, it's not any more time-consuming to study for the TECEP than it is to study for the CLEP. If you need English Comp, I think it's MUCH easier to take the TECEP than the SL course. I have taken 5 TECEP's and recommend them. If you can fit them into your degree plan, they are very convenient, and if you choose the right ones, fairly easy.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I have yet to read a whole textbook for any TECEP. The closest I came to that was reading some very short e-books for the Science of Nutrition TECEP. I'll admit, though, that I probably could have benefited from reading the whole textbook for the Networking Technology TECEP I failed. In general, I think it's a myth that you need to read the recommended textbooks in order to pass TECEPs. They are not that textbook-specific, and most textbooks cover the same topics in a similar manner. But, many TECEPs can be passed without reading a textbook at all. For the Microeconomics TECEP, I used the Instantcert flashcards for the Microeconomics CLEP.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
dfrecore Wrote:I've actually not heard anyone on this forum think that $2000 is a good trade off for that, but maybe I missed it somewhere.

If you're only looking at 5 TECEP's (or is it 8?), there are ones that aren't as time-consuming as others. First and foremost, you could always repeat any ones that you've already taken, which would not be time-consuming at all (since you already know the material, it's the exact opposite of time-consuming). There are also TECEP's that fit in with other things you're already studying for: Applied Math if you're taking ALEKS Intermediate Algebra, or Computers if you've studied for the Info Sys CLEP exam. Third, there are the TECEP's that you need for your degree anyway; if you need Microecon for your business degree, it's not any more time-consuming to study for the TECEP than it is to study for the CLEP. If you need English Comp, I think it's MUCH easier to take the TECEP than the SL course. I have taken 5 TECEP's and recommend them. If you can fit them into your degree plan, they are very convenient, and if you choose the right ones, fairly easy.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother saying anything on here at all.

All I did was step in to correct the WRONG information given to someone about TECEPs and residency.
And oh boy, it's not the first time there's been WRONG information given to people on here.

Yes, military folk have chatted about jumping off the MDCP and on to the civillian plan, paying $2000 just to finish faster.

Yes, you missed it, so what?

Military are still on the 12/24 credit plan for residency, incuding TECEPs
If I was still at the beginning of them, I wouldn't hesitate to cough up the waiver to save doing them.

I've done 7 TECEPs and personally I am not a massive fan of the set up.
I haven't touched CLEPs because there isn't a convenient place to do them.

It's great you like TECEPs, I found them a chore.

I don't need anymore thankfully, but it's good for others to know there is an option.

I've watched people on this forum take TECEPs you have said were easy peasy, and they failed them. That's not cool.
I bet they were thinking maybe $2000 isn't that bad after all, either.

There's a lot of black/white on this forum at times, however, what suits one person, doesn't necessarily suit another.

I still wouldn't join the military just to save about $1100 ... maybe you would, but everyone is different.

Each to their own.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 4,010 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,676 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,133 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,669 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,747 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,365 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,610 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,339 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,397 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,874 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore