Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Retaking a course for a second degree?
The in loco parentis nature of colleges and universities causes them to want to give permission to dual enrollment. Probably all have a rule in their general catalogs. If you can do well at both schools, is it really any of their business?

I have been dual enrolled in two graduate schools. Started at one, got accepted at another school, and took courses at both. One didn't know about the other. One of my kids was dual enrolled at a community college and a university.

I was dual enrolled at two different community colleges during miniterms. Asking if it was possible to take a second course in a miniterm resulted in receiving a talking down from an advisor. Both had heavy handed policies about only taking 3 hours in a miniterm. I just never told one that I was enrolled in the other. One of my classmates was enrolled in three community colleges. Yes, she completed 9 semester hours in 3 weeks by doing triple enrollment.

There is a legitimate principle that a school has an obligation to you and to society to keep students from taking more than you can handle. Most students can't, for example, be reasonably expected to do well taking 6 hours in a 3 week miniterm. But there is always an exception and academic advising doesn't do well with exceptions.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
clep3705 Wrote:The in loco parentis nature of colleges and universities causes them to want to give permission to dual enrollment. Probably all have a rule in their general catalogs. If you can do well at both schools, is it really any of their business?

I have been dual enrolled in two graduate schools. Started at one, got accepted at another school, and took courses at both. One didn't know about the other. One of my kids was dual enrolled at a community college and a university.

I was dual enrolled at two different community colleges during miniterms. Asking if it was possible to take a second course in a miniterm resulted in receiving a talking down from an advisor. Both had heavy handed policies about only taking 3 hours in a miniterm. I just never told one that I was enrolled in the other. One of my classmates was enrolled in three community colleges. Yes, she completed 9 semester hours in 3 weeks by doing triple enrollment.

There is a legitimate principle that a school has an obligation to you and to society to keep students from taking more than you can handle. Most students can't, for example, be reasonably expected to do well taking 6 hours in a 3 weeks miniterm. But there is always an exception and academic advising doesn't do well with exceptions.

I agree it's none of their business. As long as COSC is ok with it just graduate at TESU first and gen COSC.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
The dual enrollment rules aren't really about taking more than you can handle. Schools don't want you double dipping for degrees. No, COSC is not okay with it. Icampy just posted their rule on this. The student would still have to take 30 different credits, so it's no different than the second degree rule aside from the stipulation that the credits be earned after the initial degree.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Yup, I was just waiting to see if it clicked with someone haha.

So, you can get those 30 "extra" credits before, instead of after, the TESU degree is conferred. So, still rough, but a little easier.

I'm actually considering doing that.
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

icampy Wrote:So, you can get those 30 "extra" credits before, instead of after, the TESU degree is conferred. So, still rough, but a little easier.

To me it's much easier. So COSC is okay, but does TESU allow it? You're already enrolled at TESU, right?

I've never heard of TESU having a rule against being enrolled at two schools at once.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,456 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 482 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 436 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 771 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,179 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,702 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74
  Hypnotherapy + $30 course or $12,000 degree = Licensed "Medical" Profession nykorn 6 952 01-06-2024, 05:15 PM
Last Post: CenterSquarEd
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 617 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  These Rural Texans Opted Out of a Degree. This Community College Wants Them Back LevelUP 1 376 12-22-2023, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Avidreader