Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Review of New Mexico Junior College (Biology)
I signed up for New Mexico Junior College's Biology II with lab to fulfill the lab requirement for the ASNSM in Biology at TESU even though I already had credit for biology II. I couldn't find any standalone labs. A little off topic, but I was annoyed when I asked a question about which Uexcels I could use for the theory requirements, and the advisor told me he got the dean to apply one credit of biology I toward the biology II lab requirement. Thanks, but no thanks. I was already halfway done with with the NMJC course and couldn't get a refund. If they wanted to move one of my credits, they could have moved the lab I completed at Empire State College last year.

Signing up as a non-degree-seeking student was a fast and easy process that was completely online. I paid $356. Even though it was a course for non-majors, I was surprised at how basic the labs were. I wouldn't really call most of them labs. Students were given a link to a couple of virtual labs, but they were only used to aid in labeling parts of plants and animals. We didn't actually complete the labs. The only lab that felt like a lab was the dissection of a flower we had to buy. Other than that, we didn't have to buy any lab supplies.

All in all, it was a typical, easy community college course that I finished with an "A." The CLEP is more difficult and more like biology for science majors, and many colleges count it as such. The NMJC course was kind of fast-paced since it was condensed into eight weeks. Quizzes were taken with the Respondus Lockdown browser. The lab final and lecture final had to be proctored. I took them at Txstate. We were given two hours for each one. The lab final had 35 questions, but some of the questions had multiple parts. The lecture final had 50 questions. I finished both of them in about 35 or 40 minutes total.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • Life Long Learning
Thanks for the feedback on the NMJC course. After taking a few (non-science) courses at NM community colleges, I've been pleased with them. Some of the Microsoft Office Suite courses are time-consuming, but not too hard.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
Sorry to revive this thread, just wondering for those who took this course, where did you buy your textbooks, would you recommend renting it from or buy from Amazon? Does it matter if the textbook is the international version or an edition/revision off? I am going to apply for their Second Half 8-week course in the Spring. Thanks!

TEXT: Concepts of Biology 3rd ed. (2014), Sylvia S. Mader, Wm. C. Brown Publisher ISBN: 978-0-07-352553-2
LABORATORY MANUAL: Concepts of Biology 3rd ed.(2014), Sylvia S. Mader, Wm. C Brown Publisher 978-0-07-751158-6
For those wondering, they will be using Respondus Monitor for Lab/Lecture Exams/Quiz and the comprehensive final.
Goals: TESU BSBA GM (Added CIS) and BA Computer Science
BSBA GM - Added CIS AOS (CIS & GM completed)
BACS & Grad Plans (BACS instead of BALS w/NSM)

AAS ACS & ESST: Remaining - Associate Capstone
ASNSM CS: Completed, ASNSM Math: Remaining - Calculus I

Taking a majority of credits at Sophia.org, SL, and Study.com to finish these degrees
Updating my courses remaining by following forum advice, guide, spreadsheet & wiki
Hi Lewis
Sorry if I’m too late but I rented both biology books on amazon. I started class today! Good luck

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UVEG - Inexpensive Official Degrees in Mexico bjcheung77 13 1,796 03-28-2024, 03:30 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,181 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,534 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,930 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 230 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 497 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 390 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 729 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 205 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 246 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP