Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Review of Study.com for those who are ADHD - Predominantly Inattentive
Everyone with ADHD is different. Some might appreciate the short videos offered by Study.com. However, a lot of people with ADHD suffer from procrastination when it comes to long projects, and having over 80 quizzes to do can be daunting. In my opinion, making anyone answer over 400 quiz questions on top of taking a lengthy final is excessive and poor instructional design. I have never taken a course that has included that much in the way of assessment. With Study.com, about as much time is spent on answering questions as it is on learning the material. Imagine spending almost half of your time in a classroom taking quizzes and tests.

Study.com says that you aren't supposed to use any external materials, but the only way I could get through a Study.com course is by preparing for the proficiency exam at the beginning with the hopes of waiving most of the quizzes. Sophia has a similar format to Study.com, but their videos are of higher quality. Study.com courses come off as being very rushed in design. Each lesson consists of a transcript of a few paragraphs. The video is a very cheap one that is nothing but a narration of the few paragraphs with 1990s graphics. You're pretty much watching a PowerPoint presentation. I saw someone say that the quizzes and lessons didn't really prepare him or her for the final. I could see that because the lessons and quiz questions seemed very basic for something that's supposed to be a college-level course.

Straighterline used to be cheaper than Study.com until they recently raised their course prices to include the cost of books. However, Straighterline is still cheaper for one course or 4 or more courses in a month. It's only slightly more expensive ($6) for three courses in a month . You'll save $17 with Study.com if you take two courses in a month. I'd rather pay more for Straighterline, but I still prefer credit-by-exam.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I personally have ADHD and study.com's format was good for me (other than their assignments, BUS 308 was torture).

The quizzes helped fulfill the need for instant gratification that we yearn for. So after reading a lesson/watching a video, you get rewarded by progressing further towards the final. It makes you actually learn the material, as with ADHD it's sometimes easy to get lost if something is too big. It needs to be broken down for people with ADHD, and I think study.com does just that, they break it down into a hundred something lessons. Also, the small lessons are good with the quiz, as you can learn using your phone or tablet if you are sick of sitting behind a PC.
However, ADHD is a spectrum and we are all different no matter how much we try to classify everyone.
Started Sept. 2016 -Thomas Edison State Univeristy - BSBA - Marketing 120/120 DONE
ACE/ALT 41 CR
TECEP: 15 CR
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra l College Algebra l Statistics l
The Institutes: Ethics
Saylor: Principles of Marketing
Straighterline: American Government l Intro to Religion l Principles of Management l English Comp II l
Study.com : Business 308 l History 108 l Principles of Finance l Digital Marketing
CSU CBE: Market Research l
TECEP: Strategic Management l  Public relations l Advertising l Sales Mgmt l Marketing Comm
Community College B&M Courses (2013-2015) 64 CR General Ed. and Business
Short-term Objective: TESU BSBA in Marketing by Sept. 2017 (DONE!) Graduating in June
Long-term Objective: Career in marketing then eventually MBA or MSC in Marketing later on  
TESUAbroad Wrote:I personally have ADHD and study.com's format was good for me (other than their assignments, BUS 308 was torture).

The quizzes helped fulfill the need for instant gratification that we yearn for. So after reading a lesson/watching a video, you get rewarded by progressing further towards the final. It makes you actually learn the material, as with ADHD it's sometimes easy to get lost if something is too big. It needs to be broken down for people with ADHD, and I think study.com does just that, they break it down into a hundred something lessons. Also, the small lessons are good with the quiz, as you can learn using your phone or tablet if you are sick of sitting behind a PC.
However, ADHD is a spectrum and we are all different no matter how much we try to classify everyone.

I don't have ADHD and Business 308 was torture for me too so kudos to you for getting through it!
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
I don't talk much about my oldest son's learning issues, however, let me say that if Study.com were offering him a million dollars to pass one of their courses, I don't think he'd be able to do it. (yes, he did fail a Study.com course) The speed of info being thrown at you without "meat" reminded me of someone reading bullets to me on a 2x speed youtube video. Taking notes is impossible, the instructors have no pauses in their cadence, there are no critical thinking angles- just memorizing facts for a game of Trivial Pursuit at the end of the course.
I totally get that a huge chunk of people love that, I just don't happen to be one of them. SL does a much better job of providing instruction by mixing a combination of reading with watching and listening. In addition, you can use ebooks or paper books to read the content away from a computer. Study.com (and Sophia) don't offer that option, so it's 100% screen time. My kids share one computer in our schoolroom, but like to read in their rooms. They have the textbooks for their SL classes, so it's pretty simple to find a quiet corner.
(My son passed a Sophia course, but only barely, and in a subject he ALREADY took a full semester of- it was pretty much torture)
cookderosa Wrote:The speed of info being thrown at you without "meat" reminded me of someone reading bullets to me on a 2x speed youtube video. Taking notes is impossible, the instructors have no pauses in their cadence, there are no critical thinking angles- just memorizing facts for a game of Trivial Pursuit at the end of the course.

:roflol: I love your perspective!!!

It sounds much better than how I gave mine, which was that it's basically a quick review for adults who already know the subject matter.
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
sanantone Wrote:Everyone with ADHD is different. Some might appreciate the short videos offered by Study.com. However, a lot of people with ADHD suffer from procrastination when it comes to long projects, and having over 80 quizzes to do can be daunting. In my opinion, making anyone answer over 400 quiz questions on top of taking a lengthy final is excessive and poor instructional design. I have never taken a course that has included that much in the way of assessment. With Study.com, about as much time is spent on answering questions as it is on learning the material. Imagine spending almost half of your time in a classroom taking quizzes and tests.

Or the 130 quizzes/650+ questions in the Stats 101 course.

I keep telling my ADHD-adult-self I should just get plugging, knock the remaining 100 out, and try the final, but got so bored after the first 30 quizzes (which I had completed in conjunction with the Research Methods in Psych), that I just haven't been able to make myself do it yet. It doesn't help that I don't need it to graduate, and am not at all interested in the topic. Lol.
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
cookderosa Wrote:The speed of info being thrown at you without "meat" reminded me of someone reading bullets to me on a 2x speed youtube video. Taking notes is impossible, the instructors have no pauses in their cadence, there are no critical thinking angles- just memorizing facts for a game of Trivial Pursuit at the end of the course.
I don't like the setup/delivery of the vids either. All the important things that you actually need to know are in bold in the lesson transcript. For that reason, I usually skip the "Susie has a problem at work, and Tom tells her this n that..." and just read the facts.
BSBA Accounting at TESU - 121/121
Graduated June 2018!
cookderosa Wrote:I totally get that a huge chunk of people love that, I just don't happen to be one of them. SL does a much better job of providing instruction by mixing a combination of reading with watching and listening. In addition, you can use ebooks or paper books to read the content away from a computer. Study.com (and Sophia) don't offer that option, so it's 100% screen time. My kids share one computer in our schoolroom, but like to read in their rooms. They have the textbooks for their SL classes, so it's pretty simple to find a quiet corner.

I know I'm old-school, but I just really don't love reading in front of a computer screen. I MUCH prefer having a textbook that I can read at the table while my daughter does her schoolwork.

My kids also like having "real" books and textbooks. My daughter is reading a novel for school, and I offered to get it as a Kindle download for her, but she declined. She likes curling up on the couch with the novel. My son has told me that he hates his 2 classes where everyone is sitting in front of the computer to do their work - he much prefers his other classes where they sit in traditional rows/columns and look at the teacher and interact, and have a textbook open to look at. And he's gone from homeschooling to traditional school this year, so he has no experience with any "real" schooling at all - and still prefers traditional.

I can see where some people would want to have a mixture of videos and reading, but all video-based would drive me nuts. I did Sophia, and read transcripts more than I watched the videos.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Ugh! I'm ADHD, and to me, there's nothing worse than having to labor through a "read the slides" type presentation. Even staring at the wall draws my attention over that. Small bite-sized chunks wouldn't be bad, though.

P.S. I'm always a bit mystified by folks who tell me they prefer "real" books...for instance my whole family. I can just as easily "curl up" with my 7" tablet as I can with a paper book... Plus I can control text style and size and have access to instant dictionaries and the like. I can also read any book I like whenever I have down time.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
davewill Wrote:Ugh! I'm ADHD, and to me, there's nothing worse than having to labor through a "read the slides" type presentation. Even staring at the wall draws my attention over that. Small bite-sized chunks wouldn't be bad, though.

P.S. I'm always a bit mystified by folks who tell me they prefer "real" books...for instance my whole family. I can just as easily "curl up" with my 7" tablet as I can with a paper book... Plus I can control text style and size and have access to instant dictionaries and the like. I can also read any book I like whenever I have down time.

I prefer my Kindle for novels - my Paperwhite, which I can read in the dark while my husband sleeps, if the best gift I ever got. And now, if I'm ever reading a real book, sometimes I forget and touch a word - expecting to get a definition! Lol!

But I don't like textbooks on a screen. My Kindle is too small for it (I need a large font to read), and I hate sitting in front of my computer screen reading.

My son says he likes the smell of real books. You can't duplicate that with a screen. My daughter likes the feel of the paper, and actually turning the pages.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,425 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,614 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 469,028 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 759 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 367 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Review: Coursera Google UX Design Certificate nyjosh 4 2,615 02-26-2024, 04:30 AM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,038 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 2,071 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,911 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 595 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle