Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Review of Study.com for those who are ADHD - Predominantly Inattentive
davewill Wrote:Ugh! I'm ADHD, and to me, there's nothing worse than having to labor through a "read the slides" type presentation. Even staring at the wall draws my attention over that. Small bite-sized chunks wouldn't be bad, though.

P.S. I'm always a bit mystified by folks who tell me they prefer "real" books...for instance my whole family. I can just as easily "curl up" with my 7" tablet as I can with a paper book... Plus I can control text style and size and have access to instant dictionaries and the like. I can also read any book I like whenever I have down time.

dfrecore Wrote:I prefer my Kindle for novels - my Paperwhite, which I can read in the dark while my husband sleeps, if the best gift I ever got. And now, if I'm ever reading a real book, sometimes I forget and touch a word - expecting to get a definition! Lol!

But I don't like textbooks on a screen. My Kindle is too small for it (I need a large font to read), and I hate sitting in front of my computer screen reading.

My son says he likes the smell of real books. You can't duplicate that with a screen. My daughter likes the feel of the paper, and actually turning the pages.

I love my tablet for reading novels. I keep my font very large which my aging eyes prefer. I can change the font & background color to match environmental conditions (lighting, etc). I love the flexibility of switching books while in a waiting room somewhere, having access to my entire library with the touch of a button, no library/overdue fines, and reading at 2am without turning on the light.

And I definately agree about textbooks... much prefer in hand, made from ink on real paper.
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
davewill Wrote:Ugh! I'm ADHD, and to me, there's nothing worse than having to labor through a "read the slides" type presentation. Even staring at the wall draws my attention over that. Small bite-sized chunks wouldn't be bad, though.

P.S. I'm always a bit mystified by folks who tell me they prefer "real" books...for instance my whole family. I can just as easily "curl up" with my 7" tablet as I can with a paper book... Plus I can control text style and size and have access to instant dictionaries and the like. I can also read any book I like whenever I have down time.

I wrote a paperback version and an ebook version of Homeschooling for College Credit. Identical content and price. I sell 10 paperbacks for every 1 ebook.
As is so often the case, it's nice to have more than one option.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
Synicaal Wrote:I don't have ADHD and Business 308 was torture for me too so kudos to you for getting through it!

Thanks man. Means a lot Smile

cookderosa Wrote:I wrote a paperback version and an ebook version of Homeschooling for College Credit. Identical content and price. I sell 10 paperbacks for every 1 ebook.

Your target audience is adults with children, which may skew results in favor of regular books. People in their teens, twenties, thirties are much more likely to accept and use E-readers. I personally don't like reading off a computer that much, but am forced to due to the way a lot of content is distributed.

However, I would rather read an E-Ink book than a paperback, as it's like an adjustable paperback(without the intensity of a computer or tablet screen) but with most of the flexibility. I also love the feature where you tap a word you don't know and it is defined before you instantaneously(on Kindle at least).
Started Sept. 2016 -Thomas Edison State Univeristy - BSBA - Marketing 120/120 DONE
ACE/ALT 41 CR
TECEP: 15 CR
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra l College Algebra l Statistics l
The Institutes: Ethics
Saylor: Principles of Marketing
Straighterline: American Government l Intro to Religion l Principles of Management l English Comp II l
Study.com : Business 308 l History 108 l Principles of Finance l Digital Marketing
CSU CBE: Market Research l
TECEP: Strategic Management l  Public relations l Advertising l Sales Mgmt l Marketing Comm
Community College B&M Courses (2013-2015) 64 CR General Ed. and Business
Short-term Objective: TESU BSBA in Marketing by Sept. 2017 (DONE!) Graduating in June
Long-term Objective: Career in marketing then eventually MBA or MSC in Marketing later on  
TESUAbroad Wrote:I also love the feature where you tap a word you don't know and it is defined before you instantaneously(on Kindle at least).

One of my very favorite things!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
cookderosa Wrote:I don't talk much about my oldest son's learning issues, however, let me say that if Study.com were offering him a million dollars to pass one of their courses, I don't think he'd be able to do it. (yes, he did fail a Study.com course) The speed of info being thrown at you without "meat" reminded me of someone reading bullets to me on a 2x speed youtube video. Taking notes is impossible, the instructors have no pauses in their cadence, there are no critical thinking angles- just memorizing facts for a game of Trivial Pursuit at the end of the course.
I totally get that a huge chunk of people love that, I just don't happen to be one of them. SL does a much better job of providing instruction by mixing a combination of reading with watching and listening. In addition, you can use ebooks or paper books to read the content away from a computer. Study.com (and Sophia) don't offer that option, so it's 100% screen time. My kids share one computer in our schoolroom, but like to read in their rooms. They have the textbooks for their SL classes, so it's pretty simple to find a quiet corner.
(My son passed a Sophia course, but only barely, and in a subject he ALREADY took a full semester of- it was pretty much torture)

You pretty much described my impression of the videos.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
TESUAbroad Wrote:I also love the feature where you tap a word you don't know and it is defined before you instantaneously(on Kindle at least).

dfrecore Wrote:One of my very favorite things!

Me too! I was reading a hard copy of a book the other and caught myself trying to tap a word to check the meaning, lol.
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
cookderosa Wrote:I wrote a paperback version and an ebook version of Homeschooling for College Credit. Identical content and price. I sell 10 paperbacks for every 1 ebook.

That's actually quite interesting. I wrote some erotica 5 or 6 years ago on a whim and I sell probably 1 paperback for every 100 e-books. Probably selling to the same demographic as your book, lol, but they prefer a different medium. Personally, a book such as yours is perfect for highlighting, dog-earing, scribbling notes in the margins - I'd probably by the physical copy as well, whereas for fiction I much prefer e-books.
Here Researching for my son, who has done the following:
Community College: Intro to Philosophy, Fundamentals of IT, English Comp 1
Saylor: Intro to Business, Principles of  Marketing, Corporate Communication
Shmoop: US History 2 (WGU won't accept this)
ALEKS: Int. Algebra, College Algebra
Study.com: Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, HR Management, Global Business, Advanced Operations Management
Straighterline: US History 2, Environmental Science, US History, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, English Comp 2, Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Accounting 1,Communication, Managerial Accounting, Statistics
Ed4Credit: Managing Information Systems
Sophia: Project Management
WGU: Bachelors in HR Management 

Second son is currently attending Penn Foster for his high school diploma, then on to Ashworth for An Associates in Criminal Justice
rowan555 Wrote:That's actually quite interesting. I wrote some erotica 5 or 6 years ago on a whim and I sell probably 1 paperback for every 100 e-books. Probably selling to the same demographic as your book, lol, but they prefer a different medium. Personally, a book such as yours is perfect for highlighting, dog-earing, scribbling notes in the margins - I'd probably by the physical copy as well, whereas for fiction I much prefer e-books.

Makes sense. And oh, the things we learn about each other here lol! Wow, I would have never guessed.:o
rowan555 Wrote:I sell probably 1 paperback for every 100 e-books. Probably selling to the same demographic as your book, lol, but they prefer a different medium. Personally, a book such as yours is perfect for highlighting, dog-earing, scribbling notes in the margins - I'd probably by the physical copy as well, whereas for fiction I much prefer e-books.

I definitely prefer ebooks for recreational reading or something I'd only read once. And hands down real/physical books for educational purposes, so agree with your thoughts on that.
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com charged me another month without my consent Livia_Drusila 6 182 Yesterday, 03:57 PM
Last Post: jch
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,510 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,638 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 469,373 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 765 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 374 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Review: Coursera Google UX Design Certificate nyjosh 4 2,629 02-26-2024, 04:30 AM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,048 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 2,090 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,924 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly