Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SDC and Windows Update
Sharing this as a learning lesson to help everyone else out. Last night, I was taking an exam on SDC, when the exam software started popping up notices about illegal processes: command console and powershell.  After several of those alerts, the exam software just closed to the desktop. Shortly after that, I received a desktop notification that Windows needed to restart to apply the new patches, which was a big clue as to what illegal processes were caused by. Obviously, I kind of freaked out about this, but I opened a ticket with SDC and explained the situation. Hopefully, I can get the exam reset and get to take the exam again without losing that credit towards the two free exams we get each month.

So, my learning lesson here is to open Windows Update and validate that there aren't any patches available prior to taking any proctored exam. And if patches are available, either apply them then or set Windows Update to delay any patching for a day or two. Fun times.
John L. Watson
Earned: WGU: BS-NOS (2019), WGU: MS-CSIA (2021)
Current Programs: UC: PhD in InfoSec (2025), AMA: DIT (2024), ENEB: MBA (2023)
Exam Priority: CEH (Practical), PMP, CISA, CISM
Future Plans: TBD - maybe an MS in Cannabis Science & Business, sounds like fun!
LinkedIn
Omni Transcript
Credly Badges
[-] The following 2 users Like jamshid666's post:
  • Dorothy44, ss20ts
Ouch! I hope this gets resolved for you easily. I try to always remember to delay updates until specific days of the month to avoid having Windows want to restart in the middle of me doing something important. I don't always remember, though, so I've been caught off-guard a few times, though fortunately not during an SDC exam.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(07-21-2021, 08:35 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Ouch! I hope this gets resolved for you easily. I try to always remember to delay updates until specific days of the month to avoid having Windows want to restart in the middle of me doing something important. I don't always remember, though, so I've been caught off-guard a few times, though fortunately not during an SDC exam.

Yeah, I'm good about that on my primary desktop, but I have a separate laptop that I only use for testing.  Since it's usually powered off except for when I'm getting ready to take a proctored exam, I sometimes forget that it needs regular patching as well.  And I'm sure it will be resolved soon, SDC is usually great with their customer service.
John L. Watson
Earned: WGU: BS-NOS (2019), WGU: MS-CSIA (2021)
Current Programs: UC: PhD in InfoSec (2025), AMA: DIT (2024), ENEB: MBA (2023)
Exam Priority: CEH (Practical), PMP, CISA, CISM
Future Plans: TBD - maybe an MS in Cannabis Science & Business, sounds like fun!
LinkedIn
Omni Transcript
Credly Badges
My old Acer & Dell Laptops have Windows 10 and reminds me to update, but I never click the restart option. It just shows at the bottom right hand corner and I only restart it when I want to. Sometimes it's best to know what update it's going to apply before updating, as I've read some prior updates crashed some peoples computer. Both of the laptops don't have anything important, but still... you want to be careful even if it's a "windows" update. I use the laptops regularly enough as a "desktop replacement", so this type of issue doesn't happen.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
The Windows update screen in settings contains an option to pause updates for seven days. I strongly recommend that everyone utilize that option to avoid interruptions during exams.
Here's the procedure I use:
2-4 days before an exam, I run Windows update in addition to updating my browsers.
1-2 days before an exam, I clean up everything on the user account and run the computer test from the exam provider. I then remediate any issues. Finally, I set a restore point and pause Windows updates.
This has successfully prevented me from experiencing any major issues during exams (except for the standard ProctorFU shenanigans)
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How long does it take TESU to get the info to update? CHken92 6 1,037 05-21-2022, 03:14 PM
Last Post: CHken92
  Saylor Direct Credit Exam Windows Closed as of 4/30? mikejuparo 9 1,527 05-06-2022, 12:03 AM
Last Post: mikejuparo
  OnlineDegree cosmetic update rachel83az 4 888 01-09-2022, 07:25 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia Update: No More End Dates sophia UX 10 2,294 09-16-2021, 07:42 PM
Last Post: NC Coach
  Sophia Public Speaking - ADA Violation - UPDATE: They are now deaf friendly! ashkir 14 1,801 11-04-2020, 08:40 PM
Last Post: ctcarl
  Update on Sophia English Comp II Cammilynn 10 3,055 07-28-2020, 12:23 PM
Last Post: rpmranger
  Two tabs/windows open in Sophia RizP 3 1,362 07-27-2020, 10:14 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  GOT AN UPDATE ON SAYLORS EXPIRED COURSES/HERE IS THE INFO carsonallen77 7 1,965 02-01-2020, 04:43 PM
Last Post: gams007
  Update to Study.com courses from May 2019 dfrecore 0 786 07-17-2019, 05:07 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  CIS Testing Update - Computing and Algorithms armstrongsubero 10 2,286 03-11-2019, 01:46 PM
Last Post: posabsolute