Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transfer Sophia.org credits to Penn State World Campus?
(11-11-2023, 09:57 AM)Vle045 Wrote:
(11-07-2023, 03:45 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: And those wondering, I did a quick search, and there are at least 60 credits worth of Study.com courses that can transfer into Penn State, I would guess at least the same amount will come from other approved ACE providers as well.  I don't recall what the limit is for alternative credit transfer at Penn, if it's at least 75% of the degree (90 credits) or so, then it's a viable option for those that want the name/recognition, if you can afford the price...

Just a side note as a Pennsylvania native…. 

”Penn” refers to the University of Pennsylvania which is a private Ivy League school.  It’s also sometimes “UPenn”

Penn State is a state school and part of the big 10 conference. It is never referred to as “Penn”. 
It is also often referenced by its full name THE Pennsylvania State University (Emphasis on “the”).  Smile

(11-11-2023, 12:37 AM)nomaduser Wrote:
(11-11-2023, 12:10 AM)LevelUP Wrote:
(11-10-2023, 10:57 PM)nomaduser Wrote: I realized Penn State World Campus is no better than WGU.
WGU is in fact a better name.
Anything that says 'World Campus' or 'Global Campus' feels fake to employer's eyes.
'Global Campus' simply means watered down, fake version of something.

Also, Penn State World Campus is too overpriced for what it is. There's a high chance that you get nothing out of their degree.
I have decided to ignore the 'global campus' stuffs permanently.
The diploma/transcript will not mention "world campus" and it's set up to be exactly the same as an on-campus degree from Penn State.

Then you're lying. You never lived in Pennsylvania. You never attended Penn State. Employer can reject your application for that false statement. 

If you say you got your degree from WGU, which is a fully online school, then it makes more sense.

Global campus degrees create confusion and make your application look more fake.

He’s not lying. I grew up in Pennsylvania.  Lived there for about 30 years - in Erie, where one of the Penn State campuses is located. A childhood friend is the Cheerleading coach and another works in the marketing department.  My mom lives about a five minute drive from the campus. Penn State is very proud of their one university philosophy across all campuses, including online.
Penn State is a state school and part of the big 10 conference. It is never referred to as “Penn”. 
It is also often referenced by its full name THE Pennsylvania State University (Emphasis on “the”).  [Image: smile.png]

Kinda like The Ohio State University.  Big Grin
Anyways guys, I'm not supporting the idea of earning an online degree from 'global campus' or any online campus of a traditional university. I have done this and it turned out to be completely useless. You can never be treated like an on-campus graduate even if your diploma looks the same. It's a big waste of time. Then I found that WGU's grads are doing much better.
WGU explicitly states it's an online only school in its introduction. That's all I need.
Yes... That's great, for the cost, ease, speed to finish a degree at WGU, it's a very good CBE choice...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(11-12-2023, 09:24 AM)nomaduser Wrote: Anyways guys, I'm not supporting the idea of earning an online degree from 'global campus' or any online campus of a traditional university. I have done this and it turned out to be completely useless. You can never be treated like an on-campus graduate even if your diploma looks the same. It's a big waste of time. Then I found that WGU's grads are doing much better.

As said so many times already, that is not an issue for almost everyone. Nobody cares if you actually went to Pennsylvania or not. Literally nobody. Unless you act like it's a big deal and like you have something to hide.

Do you have something to hide?

Did you go to a degree mill, is that why you're being shady?

Then you went to WGU, that's an online-only school, it must a mill, too! You fraudster!

Really. You can make excuses for every single degree as to why you're not getting hired. The hard truth is that it boils down to you and how you sell yourself. Even a literal Harvard or Yale degree will get you nowhere if you can't sell yourself well.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • SophiaPrincess
I have nothing to hide. I have attended one of the top 100 US universities in person. I got a diploma from one of the top 200 US universities by taking distance learning courses. The online version of a degree program or global campus program will work for someone who already has a job and needs self education or self fulfillment. But it's completely useless for finding new jobs.

I found that WGU grads are capable of finding better jobs. Check their LinkedIn alumni page. Online education should be done through online only institution like WGU so only the employers who are interested in someone with online education will contact the grads.
bjcheung77 Wrote:Yes... That's great, for the cost, ease, speed to finish a degree at WGU, it's a very good CBE choice...

WGU grads are capable people, they've got a good mix/match of the certs, degree, experience, etc. It really doesn't matter where you get your degree as long as you have a good rounded list of info in your portfolio. People look at the full package including the person and their subtle personalities that show during interviews... do your best to get where you want to go and keep working towards that educational or professional goal...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
"The online version of a degree program or global campus program will work for someone who already has a job and needs self education or self fulfillment. But it's completely useless for finding new jobs."

Yeah this isn't true. My family member had no issue finding a new job after she graduated. I think it boils down to luck, luck, and more luck.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it possible to submit a blank page to Sophia histourism 10 167 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: Kab
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 115 59,159 Yesterday, 12:09 PM
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  Does Sophia track what sites you've visited? Chickenfat2024 10 553 04-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 817 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 198 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 848 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Transfer situation of Sophia Labs Kab 6 321 04-06-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Sophia Spanish Touchstone Question JohnD 2 234 04-03-2024, 11:26 PM
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 8 7,148 03-29-2024, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Dnightowl
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 170 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM