Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SL Intro to Comm -- need help
I finished all the exams & the final for SL's Intro to Communications, but I still need to finish/turn in the presentations.  I recorded the intro today but I'm having trouble with the submission.  There's a Word document that's supposed to be downloaded, the video link inserted, and then reuploaded.  I don't have Word; I have LibreOffice and I don't know if that's why, but the document is not editable for me.  Has anyone else run into this problem?
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
Easiest would be just to call SL & let them know you will be submitting the Link to your video via email and SL can assist with uploading a file for you.
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
[-] The following 1 user Likes RANSOMSOUL's post:
  • a2jc4life
Thanks; I'll try that! The video is uploaded at YouTube already, so it's just the document itself that's an issue. (I don't really understand why they want a whole fancy document instead of a simple link, anyway, but whatever.)
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

If it takes them too long to work this out for you, you can download OpenOffice. It's a freebie product nearly identical to Word. Both my sons use it and submitted SL assignments no problem.
Hm. That's what LibreOffice is. It's an OpenOffice branch, and usually considered more stable and better about compatibility.
-Rachel

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred

Yeah, I'm pretty sure OpenOffice isn't even maintained anymore.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
It's not clear to me whether you can't open, or you just can't edit it after you open it. If you can open it, you might try doing a copy from the one that you can't edit and paste into a new document. You also might try to do an export on it.

If you can't open it in LibreOffice at all there's two things to try. First, make sure you're up to date, they are fixing incompatibilities all the time. Second, you can try importing it into Google docs, then downloading it as a doc or docx. You should be able to open the resulting file.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • a2jc4life
I can open it. I'm not sure if it's displaying everything, though. The document refers to "the field below," so I think there might be a form field that should be there that isn't displaying. I'm not getting any error messages about macros or anything along those lines, though. Making a copy is a good idea. I'll give that a try.
-Rachel

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred

That's harder to deal with. Copying probably won't help. Can you get someone to open it in Word and see if there's anything actually there? If not, I'd be tempted to go ahead and fill it in the best you can and submit it.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I think LibreOffice saves the file type as an .osd or something similar and not a .docx file. Do you use hotmail? Or their variations, outlook.com and live.com from Microsoft? If so, you can use Office Online and use Word Online to save your file contents to a .docx file.

Just download the file from SL again, upload to Word Online, copy and paste your linke, save the file onto your computer and upload it to SL. You are going straight into Word instead of using a third party. Another option I think that they accept were PDF files, it’s just a link, I don’t recall, you may try that.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia - Intro to Chemistry Lab now Available! ashkir 1 606 04-03-2023, 07:59 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Sophia Intro to Chemistry Lab course difficulty level EducationSeeker 6 1,203 01-09-2023, 11:33 PM
Last Post: EducationSeeker
  Study.com question - Biology 101L: Intro to Biology with Lab Mr T 6 1,472 12-31-2022, 05:27 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Sophia - Intro to Python/Java Programming to TESU AllThose299s 4 1,174 11-03-2022, 01:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia - Intro to Ethics ss20ts 25 6,130 09-15-2022, 08:12 PM
Last Post: RhondaG
  New Sophia Course: Intro to Career Readiness - 1cr LL MNomadic 0 496 09-11-2022, 02:06 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Intro to Cybersecurity - Upper level NewatTESU 5 1,098 04-22-2022, 02:44 PM
Last Post: NewatTESU
  SQL - Intro to Database Queries akr680 3 639 08-05-2021, 03:59 PM
Last Post: akr680
  Sophia Intro to IT vs. Microsoft courses Julie S. 9 1,500 06-15-2021, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Julie S.
  Sophia Intro to Relational Databases k-k-k-katy 5 1,915 06-04-2021, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Cofffeee