Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SNHU and Study .com
(09-22-2021, 09:33 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(09-22-2021, 09:19 PM)TheLibrarian Wrote:
(09-22-2021, 08:59 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yup, the cornerstone/capstone is taken at the institution such as a college/university or institute, thus it's RA credit.  ACE/Alternative credit are taken through course providers such as Sophia.org and Study.com, etc...

Oh sweet! So really this looks like it will work! Other than the Sterling College, wont be too bad. I mean I am looking for cheaper options but I doubt I'll find it, to cover RA and UL. I may only be able to take 1 every few months if I am paying $435. I have one class (public speaking) from a community college that should transfer, would that count as RA? I mean it will be LL but if it counts as RA then I could take a cheaper UL at like study right? If not thats okay, I'm just thinking out loud. haha

16 credit term means taking all the classes in one semester, correct? So Like January 2022 I would take all 16 classes and potentially graduate in May? 

You guys are all amazing!

You can take most of your UL through Study.com and/or Coopersmith.  ONU has an UL Latin American History course that covers the non-western History requirement, and it's only $150.  You can also cover that through the World Conflicts UExcel exam.  Both are RA credit.

Your best bet is to plan out every single course you need/want, in this order:
1) RA credit that is easily/cheaply obtained (and yes your Public Speaking course will count); the RA credit does NOT need to be UL or in the major or anything, just 24cr that will fit into the degree; plan 8 courses
2) UL credit in the major
3) LL credit in the major
4) required courses that check the box in each area of GE

So you will want to create a spreadsheet that looks very much like the TESU degree plan, with a column for the course #/name, a column showing where you will take it, a column counting credit that you have taken, a column counting credit that you have left to take (these 2 add up to 120cr); a column counting RA credit, and a column counting UL credit; and a column with the prices.

I make mine "pretty" and nicely laid out so I can really understand it, and then I count RA and UL credits outside of the "pretty" part.  Kind of off to the side.

If you can find RA credit that counts towards your major coursework, that's fine, but not 100% necessary.  But, if you really want to take some courses at Sterling, plan those in accordingly.

I'm so excited LOL

So based on what I understand (it isn't much) any class taken at any college is considered RA? I have 6 (not including the sterling classes) BUT I still need both my English..didn't take them at Sophia. SO if I take them thru TESU, that would add put me up to 8?

Then I can find alternative cheaper UL credits. Im going to try to get this sorted and then post it in the degree plan and see what is what.
Yes, classes taken at community colleges are RA. TESU counts credits, not individual classes. English classes are 3 credits each. If you take the TECEPs, that would give you 9 more credits of RA. If you were to take the CLEP English Comp Modular, that would be 6 credits from an alternate source and NOT RA. But it would be free through ModernStates.

As others have said, you don't NEED your UL credits to be RA. However, you stated that you wanted American History as much as possible. At $145/credit, Sterling has some of the cheapest American History courses. If you stick to Study.com and Coopersmith for your UL credits, you'll save money, but most of your courses will NOT be American History.

To save a little money, TESU does have African American History (HIS-306) that could be taken as part of the 16-credit term. HOWEVER, this course includes 6 assignments as well as a midterm and a final exam. It appears to be a lot of work and I wouldn't recommend this as an option unless you'd be able to literally devote all of your time to studying.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(09-23-2021, 12:51 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Yes, classes taken at community colleges are RA. TESU counts credits, not individual classes. English classes are 3 credits each. If you take the TECEPs, that would give you 9 more credits of RA. If you were to take the CLEP English Comp Modular, that would be 6 credits from an alternate source and NOT RA. But it would be free through ModernStates.

As others have said, you don't NEED your UL credits to be RA. However, you stated that you wanted American History as much as possible. At $145/credit, Sterling has some of the cheapest American History courses. If you stick to Study.com and Coopersmith for your UL credits, you'll save money, but most of your courses will NOT be American History.

To save a little money, TESU does have African American History (HIS-306) that could be taken as part of the 16-credit term. HOWEVER, this course includes 6 assignments as well as a midterm and a final exam. It appears to be a lot of work and I wouldn't recommend this as an option unless you'd be able to literally devote all of your time to studying.

I actually completed the Modern States English "class" but never took the test. I suppose I just should to get it done. IDK why I am avoiding it Haha

I did check out the African American History and saw it had a lot of assignments because I considered doing that. I guess at this point, I am just torn between cost and classes. Cheap is study and classes is sterling.
(09-22-2021, 05:38 AM)rachel83az Wrote: SNHU became even less popular around here once UMPI came onto the scene. It doesn't help that College for America is apparently not a thing now: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ca-Is-Dead This leaves even fewer forum members interested in SNHU than otherwise. So, I don't know how much help you're going to get here about SNHU, unfortunately.

That said, World Civilizations & Western Civilizations are often interchangeable at schools. If they don't accept the SDC courses, however, you could try taking them at Sterling. https://online.sterling.edu/ At $145/credit, the 6 credits would be $870 + textbooks. https://online.sterling.edu/history/ You would need to apply as a non-degree seeking student to be able to take their classes.

I have a friend going to SNHU right now and she is miserable there. She has so much homework, that she had to quit her job just to keep up. But she wants to keep going there because it's a big deal in her 'area'.
Yikes, having to quit your job to deal with the homework sounds awful.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Considering SNHU BSCS, TESU BSIT, or any other BS in tech over UMPI BLS MIS cvieira 24 1,262 03-26-2024, 04:18 AM
Last Post: cvieira
  The official guide to self-study RA courses from ASU, BYU, UIdaho, etc. rachel83az 50 32,232 11-10-2023, 07:01 PM
Last Post: jch
  Using Guild for CS at SNHU Yoloangie40 17 1,673 09-17-2023, 01:12 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  SNHU vs UMPI? Duneranger 10 1,112 09-07-2023, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Duneranger
  SNHU new gen ed requirements jdubley 63 6,138 08-20-2023, 07:22 AM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  My experience at SNHU as a BS Finance major neilsf 12 1,841 08-18-2023, 11:25 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SNHU Transfer New Credits after Enrollment - Can or Can't? berlinerd 3 1,073 08-17-2023, 11:54 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
Big Grin Degree Plan for SNHU BSCS AND/OR TESU BACS Request suzycupcake 10 1,323 06-24-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Does UMass Global accept Sophia and Study? nguyenquocbuu 4 1,802 10-30-2022, 07:42 AM
Last Post: nguyenquocbuu
  SNHU Free Elective Suggestion chipNdale2077 4 2,377 10-27-2022, 12:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77